Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Dsta vs dso (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/13768-defence-science-technology-agency-vs-defence-science-organisation.html)

donny21 20-06-2021 07:28 PM

Dsta vs dso
 
Hi,

Approaching my final year of studies in mech engineering and considering a career path in DSO or DSTA. Can anyone enlighten me on the difference between the 2 stat boards? I know both are closely related but can't really find any info online regarding the difference between them.

Unregistered 21-06-2021 08:09 AM

Dso is not a stat board...

Unregistered 21-06-2021 08:10 AM

Anyway DSO does more R&D while dsta is more project management

Unregistered 21-06-2021 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donny21 (Post 174882)
Hi,

Approaching my final year of studies in mech engineering and considering a career path in DSO or DSTA. Can anyone enlighten me on the difference between the 2 stat boards? I know both are closely related but can't really find any info online regarding the difference between them.

DSO is more technical and engineering....DSTA is on project management....both are serving the national defence work.

donny21 21-06-2021 09:13 AM

I see, thanks all for the input!

Unregistered 21-06-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donny21 (Post 174882)
Hi,

Approaching my final year of studies in mech engineering and considering a career path in DSO or DSTA. Can anyone enlighten me on the difference between the 2 stat boards? I know both are closely related but can't really find any info online regarding the difference between them.

There is one thread here that is dedicated to DSTA. Check it out.

Unregistered 21-06-2021 11:38 AM

Like the others said, DSO is more technical focused. I would strongly recommend you to join DSO if possible as you really learn little transferable skills in DSTA doing project management. Do note it is also harder to enter DSO. I easily got a job at DSTA from their invitation to interview, whereas I didn't even get a reply after multiple applications to DSO.

donny21 21-06-2021 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174943)
There is one thread here that is dedicated to DSTA. Check it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174950)
Like the others said, DSO is more technical focused. I would strongly recommend you to join DSO if possible as you really learn little transferable skills in DSTA doing project management. Do note it is also harder to enter DSO. I easily got a job at DSTA from their invitation to interview, whereas I didn't even get a reply after multiple applications to DSO.

Thanks for your insight. How is/was it like working for dsta besides the fact that the little skills obtained there are transferable to the private sectoe?

donny21 21-06-2021 01:44 PM

Working for DSO sounds really interesting, I would definitely keep a lookout for future job postings.

However, I heard that most fresh graduates that enter DSO are mainly from computer science. As for me, my major is mechanical engineering and I am not from the robotics/mechatronics stream, do I still have a chance of entering DSO?

donny21 21-06-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174943)
There is one thread here that is dedicated to DSTA. Check it out.

Thank you, will definitely take a look at that thread!

Unregistered 21-06-2021 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donny21 (Post 174974)
Thanks for your insight. How is/was it like working for dsta besides the fact that the little skills obtained there are transferable to the private sectoe?

It's really a farmer job, every day 9-6 and collect your paycheck and bonuses. I must warn that there's quite a lot of self-imposed OT depending on your department due to the sheer workload, mostly due to red tape and paperwork. Many departments are full of boomers as young ppl who are driven will leave early. The people who stay are usually those who get trapped by the relatively decent starting pay and they become soulless after a few years. Wouldn't really say it is very meaningful work unless you really have a thing for defence acquisition, and serving the SAF as the customer. Since you mentioned you're from mech engineering, you have 2 paths. The easy one is to limit your career choices to your major, whereby you have very poor options, and dsta/dso is probably one of the better ones. If you choose to pivot, go to banking/ tech/ consulting.

donny21 21-06-2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174984)
It's really a farmer job, every day 9-6 and collect your paycheck and bonuses. I must warn that there's quite a lot of self-imposed OT depending on your department due to the sheer workload, mostly due to red tape and paperwork. Many departments are full of boomers as young ppl who are driven will leave early. The people who stay are usually those who get trapped by the relatively decent starting pay and they become soulless after a few years. Wouldn't really say it is very meaningful work unless you really have a thing for defence acquisition, and serving the SAF as the customer. Since you mentioned you're from mech engineering, you have 2 paths. The easy one is to limit your career choices to your major, whereby you have very poor options, and dsta/dso is probably one of the better ones. If you choose to pivot, go to banking/ tech/ consulting.

Thanks for the information!

Yes, I'm currently exploring my options in pivoting to a different career path which has limited relation to my major but I cant seem to find much info regarding this.

What about other stat boards like LTA, PUB and HDB? Do you think the prospects there are better than dsta/dso? I am positively considering stat boards as I think my results are decent, if nothing goes terribly wrong I should be able to grad with a fch. I think my major is not really sought after in the priv sector compared to majors like comp science/ data analyst. Do you have any advice regarding this?

Unregistered 21-06-2021 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donny21 (Post 174987)
Thanks for the information!

Yes, I'm currently exploring my options in pivoting to a different career path which has limited relation to my major but I cant seem to find much info regarding this.

What about other stat boards like LTA, PUB and HDB? Do you think the prospects there are better than dsta/dso? I am positively considering stat boards as I think my results are decent, if nothing goes terribly wrong I should be able to grad with a fch. I think my major is not really sought after in the priv sector compared to majors like comp science/ data analyst. Do you have any advice regarding this?

I would say those you mentioned are better on the basis that society as we know it would breakdown without them, so their work is essential and there would at least be some meaning to your every day work. Defence in sg is basically a huge budget blackhole where as the years go by you start wondering why we are spending so much.

donny21 21-06-2021 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174990)
I would say those you mentioned are better on the basis that society as we know it would breakdown without them, so their work is essential and there would at least be some meaning to your every day work. Defence in sg is basically a huge budget blackhole where as the years go by you start wondering why we are spending so much.

hahaha true that. Thanks for your advice, really appreciate it!

Unregistered 21-06-2021 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174990)
I would say those you mentioned are better on the basis that society as we know it would breakdown without them, so their work is essential and there would at least be some meaning to your every day work. Defence in sg is basically a huge budget blackhole where as the years go by you start wondering why we are spending so much.

养兵千日,用兵一时

Similar to how police is there in case there are crimes, military is there in case there are wars.

Unregistered 27-07-2021 11:54 AM

How is the career progression for DSO? Is it comparable to the private sector since its not a stat board?

Unregistered 27-07-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178568)
How is the career progression for DSO? Is it comparable to the private sector since its not a stat board?

not from dso but I would say its similar to other stat boards. Since technically dso is the research arm for mindef, full of scholars inside.

Unregistered 10-08-2021 11:38 PM

Dso, dsta, govtech IT role.
Which more attractive and for youngster progression?

Unregistered 11-08-2021 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 179827)
Dso, dsta, govtech IT role.
Which more attractive and for youngster progression?

Govtech is the obvious choice


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2