Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Software Engineer 0-3 YOE pay? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/13719-software-engineer-0-3-yoe-pay.html)

theRealHentie 02-06-2021 09:30 PM

Software Engineer 0-3 YOE pay?

Just curious, if you are a grad/junior SWE, how much do you get paid, and how do you tell if you are being lowballed to the extend that you want to leave? I feel like I'm getting peanut pay at 1 YOE (70k TC at a big tech. I feel that I am capable but I want to find a job after grad asap to not miss out on money. Now I feel regret cuz I feel like I could have made more).

Unregistered 02-06-2021 11:11 PM

Doesn't matter right? Just practice coding interview and apply whatever next company for next big jump.

Unregistered 02-06-2021 11:31 PM

Grad from NUS CS 2 years ago. Honestly, after asking around, the starting pay is definitely higher than other majors, but if you're looking for those out of the world pay package that you always hear about, you can only find them in those FAANGS coys + Shopee + Indeed + Zendesk + and those funny PRC coys/startups. Anything outside those are general average paying (5k ish...) BUT... Still higher than other industries.. So just appreciate with what we have considering the economy isn't doing very well...

Unregistered 03-06-2021 01:34 AM

100k after 1 year as ML engineer

Unregistered 03-06-2021 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 172190)
Grad from NUS CS 2 years ago. Honestly, after asking around, the starting pay is definitely higher than other majors, but if you're looking for those out of the world pay package that you always hear about, you can only find them in those FAANGS coys + Shopee + Indeed + Zendesk + and those funny PRC coys/startups. Anything outside those are general average paying (5k ish...) BUT... Still higher than other industries.. So just appreciate with what we have considering the economy isn't doing very well...

5k u sure?

Unregistered 03-06-2021 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 172188)
Doesn't matter right? Just practice coding interview and apply whatever next company for next big jump.

It certainly does matter. You need to know the market rate or you get low-ball for life.

Unregistered 03-06-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 172217)
It certainly does matter. You need to know the market rate or you get low-ball for life.

Yeah but it doesn't matter for TC's specific situation. As a new grad, the only negotiating factor you have is if you have multiple offers. Naturally, having multiple offers and herding them to the other company to bump pay will let you know your worth to not get lowballed. If you only have 1 offer and you get lowballed, its not like you can do anything about it, just work for 1 year, ask co workers how much they get and try not to get lowballed next year with your new set of offers.

Also, it looks like TC is using bigtech too loosely in this case. E.g. 70k tc for Visa is not lowball. while 70k tc for Google is lowball. Hard to give advise tbh. Feelings of year 1 low TC isn't the end of the world. Since he is in bigtech now, its easy to get interviews in bigtech that pay a lot better E.g Facebook. Just need to grind tech interviews. Ability in tech interviews != work capability.

Unregistered 03-06-2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 172217)

Thats true but not in TS situation I believe. For a fresh grad, not getting lowballed is simple, get multiple offers and herd them to other companies. If you don't have a competing offer, can't do much. Just work 1 year, ask coworkers about pay and continue mugging for interviews for good TS's. If he does this, it's impossible to constantly get lowballed and year 1 tc doesn't matter in comparison. TS being in bigtech already means getting interviews are super easy. Also to add, interview ability != work capability.

TS's example of bigtech lowballing him is too loose for us to really help tbh. 70k tc at Visa is not lowball. 70k tc at Google is lowball. Feeling that he got lowballed being compared to peers at other companies doesn't make sense.

Unregistered 03-06-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 172333)
Thats true but not in TS situation I believe. For a fresh grad, not getting lowballed is simple, get multiple offers and herd them to other companies. If you don't have a competing offer, can't do much. Just work 1 year, ask coworkers about pay and continue mugging for interviews for good TS's. If he does this, it's impossible to constantly get lowballed and year 1 tc doesn't matter in comparison. TS being in bigtech already means getting interviews are super easy. Also to add, interview ability != work capability.

for interviews for good tc's ** correction

Unregistered 03-06-2021 09:50 PM

1. What is TS definition of big tech?

Are talking about the likes of only the top 5 E.G amazon, apple, facebook, google, microsoft
or just broadly large MNC tech companies.

TC will definitely differ greatly across the top 5 v.s large MNC tech.

Also don't get fooled that all big tech pay surely will pay ridiculous amount of money.

2. What does your current job role and responsibility?

Different areas of work command different salary.

--

Given the context of just 1 YOE 70k TC, definitely is not high, probably between lower than average-average. But consider that fresh grads are able to secure 5k+ salary, and total of 14mth compensation 70k+.

Then again it's covid right now, could that also have affected the bonus received and increment after 1 year of service?

If TS feels that you are capable or/and being underpaid, then just go apply for jobs, ask for 20% increment of your annual salary, or even more if you are that confident.

Also note the risk involved, even say you got a new job, great increment, are you able to perform well enough that you will pass the probations to keep the job?