Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Sign on as SAF ME/Officer at 31? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/13713-sign-singapore-armed-forces-me-officer-31-a.html)

jsa 31-05-2021 04:33 PM

Sign on as SAF ME/Officer at 31?

Hi everyone, I've always wanted to become a SAF officer, but unfortunately I didn't qualify for OCS during NS.

Now that I have earned an Arts degree and worked full-time for 4 years, I'm thinking of signing on again, so that it'll not end up as a regret in my life.

But I'm concerned about whether I can cope with the OCS training and, even after commissioning as ME4-1 or LTA, will I "hentak kaki" at ME4/LTA/CPT for many years. After all, I'm not a SAF scholar and my alumni who signed on during NS are mostly CPT now and I think they will be MAJ soon...

Anyone signed on after 30 years ago and was commissioned as ME/officer? Can share your experience? Thanks.

Unregistered 01-06-2021 09:12 AM

Not a regular here but you have to check with MINDEF about career advancement.

1. You must make sure you can graduate from OCS even before thinking about life as a commissioned officer.

2. As you said, those who signed on early are usually a MAJ at this age especially with a degree. If you were to commission even as an LTA, you are still losing out unless you can get good appraisals.

3. You also need to think about the scenario in which you leave service before or at end of the contract. As far as I know, it's not easy to switch from uniformed service to the private sector. Most of those I know who left service after 5-8 years usually will join back the civil service.

Unregistered 01-06-2021 06:41 PM

Similar discussion here: s://.quora.com/Singapore-Is-it-advisable-to-make-a-mid-career-switch-and-sign-on-with-SAF-as-army-officer

Go MINDEF career website, read and ask them your questions.

Take note of the following:
- If you really join, you will be at least 2 rank lower than others your age. Are you / your spouse ok with that?

- Career progression. If you join ME scheme but no STEM background, likely will lose out. Unless they send u go study. Which means you will lag behind those of your age by even more. You will also be competing with other same rank officers who are younger. Can your energy, fitness, enthusiasm etc match them?

- Think far. If you think you can't last inside, don't join. Military career experiences quite useless in private sector. Unless you have military engineering or intelligence experiences.

- Retirement. How much money would you make by retirement age of 50+? What are your plans / route post retirement?

If you are still interested in MINDEF work, you can apply to be a civilian officer. Might be a better option.

Good luck.

Unregistered 12-06-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 171875)
Similar discussion here: s://.quora.com/Singapore-Is-it-advisable-to-make-a-mid-career-switch-and-sign-on-with-SAF-as-army-officer

Go MINDEF career website, read and ask them your questions.

Take note of the following:
- If you really join, you will be at least 2 rank lower than others your age. Are you / your spouse ok with that?

- Career progression. If you join ME scheme but no STEM background, likely will lose out. Unless they send u go study. Which means you will lag behind those of your age by even more. You will also be competing with other same rank officers who are younger. Can your energy, fitness, enthusiasm etc match them?

- Think far. If you think you can't last inside, don't join. Military career experiences quite useless in private sector. Unless you have military engineering or intelligence experiences.

- Retirement. How much money would you make by retirement age of 50+? What are your plans / route post retirement?

If you are still interested in MINDEF work, you can apply to be a civilian officer. Might be a better option.

Good luck.

DXO slow progression and worse benefits than uniformed