Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Breaking letter of "commitment" that came as a google form. (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/13674-breaking-letter-commitment-came-google-form.html)

smurfxactly 20-05-2021 08:53 PM

Breaking letter of "commitment" that came as a google form.

I‘ve joined a company recently through a recruitment agent. Prior to this, I was on the assumption that I entered into a contract with only the company.

I signed the letter of appointment from the company first, as the terms were seemingly normal. The recruitment agent's "contract" came right after, in the form of a job application form. At the point of signing, I did read through the entire google form to make sure there weren't any unfair clauses before submitting it.

After joining the company, I realized that it wasn't a good fit and 24 hours notice can be given during probation. Of course, I went to the recruitment agent first. It came to me as a shock when he said that I agreed to a clause that states that I have to stay in this job for at least 3 full months, if not I would be liable to pay a penalty equivalent to one month's salary. He insisted that it was in the job application form. I asked him for a copy of the contract but he refused to give one to me. Instead, he screenshot the clauses which were supposedly to be bounded to me, as well as the date and time of my google form submission.

There were two additional clauses which states that:
1) All disputes shall be referred to the small claims tribunal for mediation.
2) Acknowledgement that the registration form can be used as a legally binding contract in Singapore.

It's been 1 month since then. I was verbally abused and hurled insults by my superior just 2 days ago. To me, it was really personal attack after personal attack. I do not wish to stay, but I don't want to pay for the penalty either.

Can anyone advise me on the next steps?

Thanks.

Regards,
Smurfxactly

Unregistered 20-05-2021 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfxactly (Post 169741)
I‘ve joined a company recently through a recruitment agent. Prior to this, I was on the assumption that I entered into a contract with only the company.

I signed the letter of appointment from the company first, as the terms were seemingly normal. The recruitment agent's "contract" came right after, in the form of a job application form. At the point of signing, I did read through the entire google form to make sure there weren't any unfair clauses before submitting it.

After joining the company, I realized that it wasn't a good fit and 24 hours notice can be given during probation. Of course, I went to the recruitment agent first. It came to me as a shock when he said that I agreed to a clause that states that I have to stay in this job for at least 3 full months, if not I would be liable to pay a penalty equivalent to one month's salary. He insisted that it was in the job application form. I asked him for a copy of the contract but he refused to give one to me. Instead, he screenshot the clauses which were supposedly to be bounded to me, as well as the date and time of my google form submission.

There were two additional clauses which states that:
1) All disputes shall be referred to the small claims tribunal for mediation.
2) Acknowledgement that the registration form can be used as a legally binding contract in Singapore.

It's been 1 month since then. I was verbally abused and hurled insults by my superior just 2 days ago. To me, it was really personal attack after personal attack. I do not wish to stay, but I don't want to pay for the penalty either.

Can anyone advise me on the next steps?

Thanks.

Regards,
Smurfxactly

Stay for the entire duration.
Take it as a lesson learnt. Start looking for a new job now.

What company are you at now?

Unregistered 20-05-2021 10:37 PM

Record the verbal abuse. Hidden camera or audio.
Play it big. Online. . Internet is your friend.
Social media is your friend.
Social justice.

Unregistered 20-05-2021 10:39 PM

Is the link to the Google Form valid? Can you recall if it was missed out on your end, or sneakily added in. Seems a bit shady.

smurfxactly 21-05-2021 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169755)
Is the link to the Google Form valid? Can you recall if it was missed out on your end, or sneakily added in. Seems a bit shady.

I don't recall seeing it on the form, since it was a job application form. I merely added in my personal details, employment history. It seems to me that it was sneakily added in.

smurfxactly 21-05-2021 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169754)
Record the verbal abuse. Hidden camera or audio.
Play it big. Online. . Internet is your friend.
Social media is your friend.
Social justice.

I should right? Let me go and find one.

smurfxactly 21-05-2021 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169752)
Stay for the entire duration.
Take it as a lesson learnt. Start looking for a new job now.

What company are you at now?

Cannot say la. Haha.

Unregistered 21-05-2021 09:08 AM

Recruitment agent usually take 3 months commission when signing a new role, no wonder they will be so angry.

I was in the same situation, but I just left anyway. It takes alot of effort to pursue this further, so they usually wont do anything.

Unregistered 21-05-2021 05:48 PM

Do you have a copy of your contract?

Isit a SME? If not you can try to take it to HR.

smurfxactly 21-05-2021 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169864)
Do you have a copy of your contract?

Isit a SME? If not you can try to take it to HR.

I don't have a copy of the contract, the agent refuses to give me a copy and insist that those clauses came with the job application form.

My boss happens to be the HR too. So one of the clauses states that I can't approach the company without informing the agent.

I'm really stressed out. What should I do?