Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Finance Student Career Advice (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/13611-finance-student-career-advice.html)

jenjen1 27-04-2021 06:40 PM

Finance Student Career Advice

Im currently a graduating student from an university with Kaplan. I am inclined to work in banking and finance industry but would like to know more about it. Can anyone advise? because when I read up on back/middle/front offices, the various websites does not go in depth to the roles or job scopes. Also, may I know what is the future prospect of AML/compliance role and risk officer and the expected salary? Front office role seems to be the most beneficial yet challenging. Im afraid that I do not have any relevant skills to get in. Thank you!

Unregistered 27-04-2021 08:38 PM

Oi filthy @SIM doggy, come in here and help your fellow private uni trash :D

Unregistered 27-04-2021 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenjen1 (Post 166796)
Im currently a graduating student from an university with Kaplan. I am inclined to work in banking and finance industry but would like to know more about it. Can anyone advise? because when I read up on back/middle/front offices, the various websites does not go in depth to the roles or job scopes. Also, may I know what is the future prospect of AML/compliance role and risk officer and the expected salary? Front office role seems to be the most beneficial yet challenging. Im afraid that I do not have any relevant skills to get in. Thank you!

3k to 4k for compliance. But most likely you will get 3k from your profile.

Unregistered 27-04-2021 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenjen1 (Post 166796)

for starters, go read up more. i'm sure there are tons of information out there.
Second - do you have any inkling why these functions are coined "back" , "front" and etc.? If you can figure that out then you're halfway there in finding your answer.

Lastly, your questions on prospects for xyz job, i guess u r asking this because u dont even know what is it and what they do in the first place. Plenty of info out in the public domains - just a matter whether you are tech-savy enough to find them. If you can't pull this off i don't think you're suited to go to either compliance or risk.

Unregistered 27-04-2021 10:33 PM

Hope you dont take this the wrong way but the way you talked about banking makes me think you haven’t even done an internship in the industry. With a private degree and lack of internships you have a very low chance. You could either take up a traineeship in banking or become a bank teller

Unregistered 27-04-2021 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166830)
Hope you dont take this the wrong way but the way you talked about banking makes me think you haven’t even done an internship in the industry. With a private degree and lack of internships you have a very low chance. You could either take up a traineeship in banking or become a bank teller

What about with a firat class?

jenjen1 27-04-2021 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166827)
3k to 4k for compliance. But most likely you will get 3k from your profile.

Thank you!!

jenjen1 27-04-2021 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166830)

I have done an internship during my poly days but its more on operations (doing project to improve bank's process). I have worked in another company (non-finance) and touched on client onboarding etc therefore considering AML/compliance role

Unregistered 27-04-2021 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenjen1 (Post 166834)
I have done an internship during my poly days but its more on operations (doing project to improve bank's process). I have worked in another company and touched on client onboarding etc therefore considering AML/compliance role

Try data science/ ml if you want to make money and have good exit opportunities.

Unregistered 28-04-2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166835)
Try data science/ ml if you want to make money and have good exit opportunities.

Are you kidding? Lol. It is almost 0 chance for her in that case. AML has nothing to do with ML.