Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Which offer should I take (MNC vs civil service) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/13594-offer-should-i-take-mnc-vs-civil-service.html)

ilovemoney 21-04-2021 05:36 PM

Which offer should I take (MNC vs civil service)

Hi guys, I'm graduating next month and so far, I've gotten 2 offers. Some background: FASS, first-class honors

1. Ministry job, offered 3.7k/mth. Policy role
2. Marketing job, a US MNC, offered 3.4k/mth

I'm really not sure which to take. I don't really know which one I think I'll be more interested in too, to be really honest. Can you guys decide my fate for me please? :(

Unregistered 21-04-2021 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemoney (Post 166099)
Hi guys, I'm graduating next month and so far, I've gotten 2 offers. Some background: FASS, first-class honors

1. Ministry job, offered 3.7k/mth. Policy role
2. Marketing job, a US MNC, offered 3.4k/mth

I'm really not sure which to take. I don't really know which one I think I'll be more interested in too, to be really honest. Can you guys decide my fate for me please? :(

Depends on you. In short if...
You are a lazy person who is easily contented then choose offer 1.
Once you go into this, you will find it very hard to move to 2 because you usually can't get used to the competition. But stable job, little accountability, less worries.

You are an ambitious person who wants to do something and learn something despite the competition choose offer 2. If you risk it and do well here, the rewards you reap will be far better than offer 1 can imagine.

LeGozt 21-04-2021 05:59 PM

I'd say that the pay difference is small enough to be considered negligible, and the more important things you should focus on would be, in no particular order:

1. Learning opportunities
2. What line of work you'll enjoy more, policy and marketing are two vastly different things. If you can't say which you'd prefer then nobody can help you
3. Career progression

ilovemoney 21-04-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166100)
Depends on you. In short if...
You are a lazy person who is easily contented then choose offer 1.
Once you go into this, you will find it very hard to move to 2 because you usually can't get used to the competition. But stable job, little accountability, less worries.

You are an ambitious person who wants to do something and learn something despite the competition choose offer 2. If you risk it and do well here, the rewards you reap will be far better than offer 1 can imagine.

Thanks for replying. Let's say I'm only an average performer no matter where I go, would 1 then be a better choice?

Unregistered 21-04-2021 06:31 PM

Do u mind sharing with stat board u will be with? For stay boards, there are different tiers as well. Usually the best ones will be MAS, EDB etc. If yours are those then I encourage you to choose them

Unregistered 28-04-2021 10:16 PM

Definitely no 2. easier to switch from private to public, than the other way around.

Unregistered 28-04-2021 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166926)
Definitely no 2. easier to switch from private to public, than the other way around.

Is this a joke?

Unregistered 28-04-2021 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166927)
Is this a joke?

No it’s not. Everyone knows if you’re in civil service it’s really hard to get out except for the rare few agencies.

Unregistered 28-04-2021 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166928)
No it’s not. Everyone knows if you’re in civil service it’s really hard to get out except for the rare few agencies.

Oh nvm, i read this wrong. I thought you were referring to publicly listed companies 😅

Unregistered 28-04-2021 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166926)

Not true nowadays due to cost cutting in both sector.