Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Should I pick up programming? Why and why not? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/13527-should-i-pick-up-programming-why-why-not.html)

Unregistered 23-03-2021 03:59 PM

No need. Just fake it till u make it. Let other people do the work

alfredisthename 23-03-2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 160704)
Comp sci high starting pay cus of lack of supply now (soon to change though) but their careers tend to plateau after a few years. Only a select few have the social capital/skills to move on to management. Most spend the rest of your lives being senior programmers/developers.

Is that commonplace in Singapore? But even if that's the case, they are living with a comfortable salary no? Hmm... maybe I should go and research on their end game salary.

alfredisthename 23-03-2021 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 160712)
Good pay. So?

Give you good pay. You can't do. Is can't do.

Alot of fake people in tech.

This is so true. My friends are entering (not sure how they got passed the interview stage) the IT industry with zero experience, and till date still barely learning anything or simply winging it.

alfredisthename 23-03-2021 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 160721)
No need. Just fake it till u make it. Let other people do the work

does it really work that way :confused:

Unregistered 23-03-2021 04:43 PM

Fake it till you make it guys.

Who cares, as long as you manage to get in and draw the salary, who cares!!!

alfredisthename 23-03-2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 160744)
Fake it till you make it guys.

Who cares, as long as you manage to get in and draw the salary, who cares!!!

but wouldn't your programming stint be extremely short-lived? :/

Unregistered 23-03-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfredisthename (Post 160748)
but wouldn't your programming stint be extremely short-lived? :/

That's what everyone thinks. Programming is not just about coding and coding, it's more like project management. There's always that fluff part which does not require so much technical knowledge.

life hacks man.

alfredisthename 23-03-2021 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 160750)
That's what everyone thinks. Programming is not just about coding and coding, it's more like project management. There's always that fluff part which does not require so much technical knowledge.

life hacks man.

wait i thought management positions are only after you've been through the mud war and you've done your fair share of grinding and sleepless nights? how do you do that if you aren't technical. SENPAI SHOW ME YOUR WAY

Unregistered 23-03-2021 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfredisthename (Post 160740)
Is that commonplace in Singapore? But even if that's the case, they are living with a comfortable salary no? Hmm... maybe I should go and research on their end game salary.

If you are fine with earning <10k doing work that basically requires you to constantly be updated (programming languages/different software vers etc) when you have >10/20/30 years of experience, sure.

That is under the assumption that demand is still more than supply & your work cannot be outsourced to India.

Unregistered 24-03-2021 12:29 AM

cobol is good. niche programming skills