Senior Semicon Engineer Salary - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Senior Semicon Engineer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 30-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9
coo.za is on a distinguished road
Default Senior Semicon Engineer Salary

Hi,

I am a senior semicon engineer with 5 yrs experience in Sg-based MNC, NTU grad with hons, EP holder, and my major career achievement has been in inventing more than 140 patented technologies in my field. My basic is 3290/mth, excluding bonus for my patents.

As per my direct sup advice, I've been doing some salary benchmarking recently, got 7 relevant surveys and found myself to be compensated at the bottom-end for all those surveys.

However, their 75th percentiles vary significantly (up to 3K/mth), which has quite confused me to decide which fair salary I should aim (yes, i'm aiming the 75th percentile) when I formally request a pay raise.

Can you share how much senior engineer like me can earn? Thanks a lot.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 30-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

one of my female friend grad is 2005, till today still working in TECH semi con, 5 years exp, getting about 4.3K basic, they may still clock OT up to 6k+ per mth

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo.za View Post
Hi,

I am a senior semicon engineer with 5 yrs experience in Sg-based MNC, NTU grad with hons, EP holder, and my major career achievement has been in inventing more than 140 patented technologies in my field. My basic is 3290/mth, excluding bonus for my patents.

As per my direct sup advice, I've been doing some salary benchmarking recently, got 7 relevant surveys and found myself to be compensated at the bottom-end for all those surveys.

However, their 75th percentiles vary significantly (up to 3K/mth), which has quite confused me to decide which fair salary I should aim (yes, i'm aiming the 75th percentile) when I formally request a pay raise.

Can you share how much senior engineer like me can earn? Thanks a lot.
The problem with your approach is you may think you are worth 75 percentile, but if your company policy is to pay at 50 percentile, then they will not give you.

I think US company quite siao on cost control so dun think they will anyhow make exceptions. btw, what are the 7 survey from? 3.3k is on the low side, but i dun think is bottom end like you say.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 31-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9
coo.za is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The problem with your approach is you may think you are worth 75 percentile, but if your company policy is to pay at 50 percentile, then they will not give you.

I think US company quite siao on cost control so dun think they will anyhow make exceptions. btw, what are the 7 survey from? 3.3k is on the low side, but i dun think is bottom end like you say.
3.3K is on 12th percentile in one survey, which i think is quite on the bottom end.
The 7 surveys include robert walters, payscale.sg, jobscentral, MOM, salary.sg, and others (forgot the name). Kelly doesn't have semicon engineer data.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 18
dellysunny is on a distinguished road
Default

are you sure you invented 140 patents in your field over past 5 years? If it is really YOU invented them, you won't be paid such little. And I don't think there is anyone in singapore who can invented 140 patents over 5 years time, 28 patents/year, 2+ patents/month. If taking into your leaves, your MCs, your reservice, you are supposed to get 1 patent per week. Are you patent machine? Be honest to yourself. Anyhow, 3300/mth for a senior engineer with 5 years experience is on the lower side. Again, be honest to yourself. Print the list of your patents with your name on it and show it to your manager, he will double or triple your salary if you really have 140+ patents. I sincerely doubt it.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

3300/mth is same as me when I have 6 yrs working experience in Semicon. But that was like 7 yrs ago.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9
coo.za is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellysunny View Post
are you sure you invented 140 patents in your field over past 5 years? If it is really YOU invented them, you won't be paid such little. And I don't think there is anyone in singapore who can invented 140 patents over 5 years time, 28 patents/year, 2+ patents/month. If taking into your leaves, your MCs, your reservice, you are supposed to get 1 patent per week. Are you patent machine? Be honest to yourself. Anyhow, 3300/mth for a senior engineer with 5 years experience is on the lower side. Again, be honest to yourself. Print the list of your patents with your name on it and show it to your manager, he will double or triple your salary if you really have 140+ patents. I sincerely doubt it.
Hi, Delly
Seems hard to believe, right? 140 patents in 5 yrs (in fact it's nearly 160 after i recount the list again)...When i joined this company, i also never imagined myself could have any patent...

Here is my story...and up to u to believe or not....i was unemployed for almost 2 years before this company hired me. I'm really grateful to them, that I'm so determined to prove my worth. I learned tirelessly, and read tons of patent documents even during weekends. The bonus i got from those patents almost doubled my salary, that's why i was so motivated to create patents. I NEVER THOUGHT (this is my fault) of comparing my salary with peers, until recently my boss brought up the salary matter ask me directly to conduct salary benchmark.

I don't see any reason to bluff you or the others, in fact i thank you for giving me reassurance that 140 patents in 5 yrs is simply crazy, i will use it as one point in my salary nego.

Btw, my boss is aware of my 140 patents, coz he's managing the patents in my company.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo.za View Post
3.3K is on 12th percentile in one survey, which i think is quite on the bottom end.
The 7 surveys include robert walters, payscale.sg, jobscentral, MOM, salary.sg, and others (forgot the name). Kelly doesn't have semicon engineer data.
Word of advice, never use these data sources to argue with your HR. They will laugh at you and tell you to get lost diplomatically.

Reason is very simple, headhunters like robert walters & jobscentral like to inflate their data significantly because of self interest, nobody in HR believe that crap other than desperate or inexperienced job seekers.

Those online free salary websites also a bad idea since most of it is based on self-reporting with no fact checking. MOM data is hard to use since theirs is a very generic amalgamation of salary based on general titles, so it doesn't really say much about how much your job is worth.

Most companies do professional benchmarking and job pricing using paid information from specialised consultants that cost quite a bomb, so you can't really get them unless you are willing to pay thousands of dollars for a report.

So if you really want to know how much you are worth, the only thing you can do is ASK for more money from your company & see how much they are willing to give. If not, go out & attend many interviews and quote specific prices to see if there any takers. You should be able to have a rough idea how much you worth.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9
coo.za is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Word of advice, never use these data sources to argue with your HR. They will laugh at you and tell you to get lost diplomatically.

Reason is very simple, headhunters like robert walters & jobscentral like to inflate their data significantly because of self interest, nobody in HR believe that crap other than desperate or inexperienced job seekers.

Those online free salary websites also a bad idea since most of it is based on self-reporting with no fact checking. MOM data is hard to use since theirs is a very generic amalgamation of salary based on general titles, so it doesn't really say much about how much your job is worth.

Most companies do professional benchmarking and job pricing using paid information from specialised consultants that cost quite a bomb, so you can't really get them unless you are willing to pay thousands of dollars for a report.

So if you really want to know how much you are worth, the only thing you can do is ASK for more money from your company & see how much they are willing to give. If not, go out & attend many interviews and quote specific prices to see if there any takers. You should be able to have a rough idea how much you worth.
I like this...very informative, thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

If your boss really ask you to do so, then you could simply bring up the figures and the associated reference and let him see it himself.


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Senior Software Engineer - Maniframe 5 years bcsandy.1982 Income and Jobs 5 07-09-2014 01:54 AM
What is the standard/average salary I can claim as a Senior Software Engineer pdhoot Income and Jobs 12 19-06-2013 12:06 PM
Engineer salary mack Income and Jobs 89 19-10-2012 04:47 PM
salary for second year senior associate in Big 4 HaigNY Income and Jobs 30 16-10-2012 10:30 PM
Avg. salary for Embedded S/w Engineer 5 Yrs Exp connintel Income and Jobs 3 25-10-2010 02:57 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
308 Replies, 132,320 Views
Reference checks ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 30,214 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,779 Replies, 1,192,794 Views
chronic job hopper
5 Replies, 453 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,522 Replies, 4,755,576 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,670 Replies, 1,740,275 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,515 Replies, 868,012 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
275 Replies, 194,319 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,563 Replies, 1,537,381 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,647 Replies, 706,416 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
735 Replies, 452,327 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
725 Replies, 701,523 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 21,836 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,581 Replies, 425,669 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,450 Replies, 1,149,603 Views
GIC career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
246 Replies, 281,760 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
299 Replies, 227,431 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
362 Replies, 289,916 Views
Market Research - Vouchers offered
1 Replies, 170 Views
SIM-RMIT fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
215 Replies, 144,572 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,777 Replies, 3,451,823 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
110 Replies, 57,054 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
87 Replies, 68,996 Views
Software developers salary outlier
6 Replies, 594 Views
Specialist Diploma or Private...
0 Replies, 150 Views
MCI and IMDA ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,512 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
312 Replies, 223,928 Views
MND Agencies Pay scale ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 8,211 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,674 Replies, 718,169 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,352 Replies, 492,154 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2