Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Working in a Japanese company locally (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1345-working-japanese-company-locally.html)

dryden28 25-05-2011 10:08 PM

Working in a Japanese company locally

Hi all

Need some advice as i'm recently offered a job in a logistic Japanese company locally. I notice alot of japanese working there and this asia branch isn't that big at most about 50+ people. Is it ok to work there? My friend used to work in a japanese company with a similar scale and had a pretty bad experience. Just need some advice on what to look out for eg culture, working hours, bonuses

Thank you

Zero 26-05-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dryden28 (Post 12599)
Hi all

Need some advice as i'm recently offered a job in a logistic Japanese company locally. I notice alot of japanese working there and this asia branch isn't that big at most about 50+ people. Is it ok to work there? My friend used to work in a japanese company with a similar scale and had a pretty bad experience. Just need some advice on what to look out for eg culture, working hours, bonuses

Thank you

Last time work in big Japan manufacturing MNC. In terms of culture I think is more serious and heirachy than the US & Europe companies. They are quite into discipline and punctuality and being late for work is very much frown upon.

Working hours I see is quite different between department, I think this one more based on boss than company. I work in different company before and results quite mixed, not dependent on where the co. is from

Bonus ususally not very high, if executive level around 1.5 to 2 mths, but tend to be more stable than other MNC. Promotion same as other co., ceiling only start to get felt when around senior manager to director level, so if you still junior level then no diff.

Unregistered 26-05-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dryden28 (Post 12599)
Hi all

Thank you

Low pay, high expectation in terms of time and commitment, pathetic bonus. I'm refering to Jap manufacturing plant. Prepare to be on call 24/7 and attend to hp messages throughout the night!

poor and stupid 15-08-2012 10:47 AM

sure beats local SME

arigatoast 16-08-2012 12:57 AM

Hi TS,

i am working in a Jap general trading MNC currently.
Base on my exp in my company:
Working hrs: u r expected to come 15 mins earlier than normal working hrs , but u can leave on time if u have finish yr work.
Working culture: all japs work silently but noisy in the email world. likes to bootlick and cover their own kah chng w/o giving much thought for their team members. higher level japs tend to segregate themselves from lower level executives, especially non-japs.
They tend to ask u very exaggeratingly detailed qns.
if u r in sales, u need to know how to drink and do not mind going 'karaoke'
Language: sometimes hard to understand them and vice versa due to language barrier. especially if u need to communicate with Jap HQ office.