Low Paying Stable Job vs High Growth Risky Job - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Low Paying Stable Job vs High Growth Risky Job

Old 07-01-2021, 12:59 AM

johnny123 is on a distinguished road
Default Low Paying Stable Job vs High Growth Risky Job

Hi all, I am a fresh graduate who graduated in 2020 but just got offered 2 different positions. The first is a job as a project manager at one of the research institutes in Singapore paying SGD3,100 and the other is as a product manager in a Chinese listed OEM company paying SGD4,000.

Pay wise it is a no brainer, but from what I understand and hear from Chinese companies I am a little concerned that the company may not be what it markets itself to be, especially when I go on linkedin and find that there is no one in Singapore hired under the company as it is a new HQ. No glassdoor reviews or tianyacha the chinese version for some reason. And the contract is a little vague in terms of the job responsibilities.

The project manager job sounds a little less intimidating, but it feels like a potential dead end because it is contract based but what I hear is contracts usually get renewed and the jobscope looks like something that is mostly admin work and have little to no relevance in industry. But the good thing is I know the contract won't be dubious because it is from a reputable research institute in Singapore.

Both are great offers, however, and I am very appreciative of getting them especially in this economy. And want to get everyone's thoughts on this.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny123 View Post
Hi all, I am a fresh graduate who graduated in 2020 but just got offered 2 different positions. The first is a job as a project manager at one of the research institutes in Singapore paying SGD3,100 and the other is as a product manager in a Chinese listed OEM company paying SGD4,000.

Pay wise it is a no brainer, but from what I understand and hear from Chinese companies I am a little concerned that the company may not be what it markets itself to be, especially when I go on linkedin and find that there is no one in Singapore hired under the company as it is a new HQ. No glassdoor reviews or tianyacha the chinese version for some reason. And the contract is a little vague in terms of the job responsibilities.

The project manager job sounds a little less intimidating, but it feels like a potential dead end because it is contract based but what I hear is contracts usually get renewed and the jobscope looks like something that is mostly admin work and have little to no relevance in industry. But the good thing is I know the contract won't be dubious because it is from a reputable research institute in Singapore.

Both are great offers, however, and I am very appreciative of getting them especially in this economy. And want to get everyone's thoughts on this.
How about your risk appetite? If you are risk averse then the project management job pretty much meet your criteria.

Another thing to consider is the workload, which company do you think will give you more stuff to do?

Work Life balance?

prospect in growth?

Transferrable skills?

Old 07-01-2021, 10:11 AM
Unregistered

Chinese job ftw tbt

Old 07-01-2021, 10:34 AM
Unregistered

At your age I would take the Chinese job. It may bomb on you but if it does, time is on your side to find another job. If it goes well, well you will enjoy far better pay and prospects than in the research institute.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:43 AM
Unregistered

Honestly if I'm a China company and want to setup a HQ in Singapore.
I need a product manager that has connection and get things done in Singapore and take instruction from China.

Why would I hire a fresh grad for this job?

E.g. We need to submit this product for certification.

Fresh grad : OK? What do I need to do.
Me : erm we hire you to manage the product. Can u like take initiative to find out which Singapore board we need. What is the approval process. Form to fill etc.
Fresh grad : erm.

Or...

Me: our Singapore client complain you never meet deadline, the business meeting next week why you not familiar with our product.
Fresh grad : erm nobodu brief me I also don't know our system how it work...

Or...

Me : can you liase with the shipment, we need to send the equipment to Singapore factory. Covid all the restriction, we need to get it thru by end or march... Can you arrange it?
Fresh grad : erm? How? Who do I reach out? Someone help.

No idea why people would hire fresh grad for a position that requires managerial and people skill....

Or..

Me : our Singapore client complain our product no quality can you handle then.
Fresh grad : how???
Old 07-01-2021, 10:49 AM
Unregistered

OP very cute.

This is called high risk means you are not experience nor qualified for this job la.
The admin job sounds more suitable for you.

You only wished that simple easy admin job will you pay you more only.

I'm a fresh grad 20 years back.
Now I manage a product for singtel. Contraxt. Staff. Deliverable. Motivation. Problems. Complains. Etc.

But my pay is 10k per month and I have worked from ground up 20 years experience handling and managing product from inception to deliverable. To knowing how to get off my high horse and talk to ground people. To buying coffee and cakes to treat them during festival like moon cake, durian, Christmas.

I suggest you open your horizon and look for one more suitable for you.
You take up 4k can't do the job. Doesn't mean you won't get fired.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:03 AM
Unregistered

4k for a manager position is low.
For context. If you need to hire a foreigner to work in Singapore they nerd 3.8k for the employment pass to ba approved.

So China is low balling...

Maybe that's why they eying fresh grad. Cause to fresh grad 4k is alot.
But to the company. Manager asking for 6to 8k for the job they will ask you to do. 24/7

And high pay doesn't mean your next job won't readjust back.
My friend his first job was too high back when fresh grad is getting 2.5k he claimed he was paid 3.5k and subsequently when he join his next job he have to take pay cut. Firsr he was offered his asking from his last paid... But after 6 months there. HR readjust his salary say got market rate adjustment and he either take the pay cut or quit

He quit. And struggle to find job and keep one after that cause he keep chasing for higher pay
Meanwhile I stayed with the same corporation from 2.5k fresh grad. Now I'm already VP level 13k with ncs.

So choose your career path. You like to stay rooted or jump here and there.

Either way it sounds more like OP don't know what to with life and have the delusion that this first job determines everything.

Wrong.

People with low starting pay can get high increment if they loyal etc.
It's all luck and timing and alot of factors.

So must pray CNY wealth and career. That's why all the old people, business etc always pray and burn asking for wealth prosperity and career growth

Cause there is no guarantee in life.

Those work in SIA. Brand. Prestige. High pay. Now laid off.
Get more experience. Build connection. Network. Find passive income. Network. Social media. Training.

If you think your first job decides your future. Then don't bother la cause every year got brew fresh a new batch of ppl coming to steal your job from you.
Old 18-01-2021, 07:23 PM
Unregistered

Don’t be afraid to fight for what you want. Potential employers are able to spot persistence from a mile away. The ability to remain steadfast when faced with adversity is a sign of a great employee. Don’t hesitate to send an email response, or even a text message, to ask why you were rejected and if there are other more appropriate jobs within the company that you can apply to instead. Read more: |<a href="s://.randstad.com.sg/career-advice/tips-and-resources/how-to-overcome-job-application-rejection/">how to overcome the devastating impact of a job application rejection</a>
Old 19-01-2021, 06:34 PM
Unregistered

if the job sounds like it can bring you to the next level then by all means go
Old 19-08-2021, 09:47 PM

Jurlilane is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend started working as a firefighter. I've seen how it works - it's very interesting