Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   when you quit how many days do you work after you submit the letter? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1324-when-you-quit-how-many-days-do-you-work-after-you-submit-letter.html)

miwashi 26-04-2011 12:29 PM

when you quit how many days do you work after you submit the letter?

I have 24 days of leave if I quit now, so that means I can disappear almost immediately on paper, but in reality bosses won't be happy and they will try to stop you.

So i was wondering, what is a reasonable time to give the company to hand over stuff, after you submit your resignation? And then if you hand over nicely, are you still obliged to pick up calls from them after your official last day in case the person who took over you didn't pay attention and didn't care when you were handing over?

uturn 26-04-2011 06:44 PM

you got to assess for yourself man. Like how is it like when someone in your same dept. quit? Some co. might stop you from handling important stuff and you end up being very free person

Unregistered 27-04-2011 11:28 AM

I say it comes down to

1) How comfortable are you with burning bridges
2) How many days of holiday do you want before your next job
3) How soon does your new employer want you to start
4) How responsible are you with handling over your tasks to your colleagues
5) If you company practise leave encashment and if so, do you prefer to leave work early (for longer break) or get a small bonus from the unused leave

That's all i can think of for now...

Unregistered 27-04-2011 11:30 AM

Me again.

Also, you're not obliged to pick up calls. It's their problem if the colleague didn't pay attention if you hand over nicely. Again, it's how comfy you are with burning bridges.

Unregistered 23-10-2022 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11621)
Me again.

Also, you're not obliged to pick up calls. It's their problem if the colleague didn't pay attention if you hand over nicely. Again, it's how comfy you are with burning bridges.

that is correct.

Unregistered 24-10-2022 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11620)
I say it comes down to

1) How comfortable are you with burning bridges
2) How many days of holiday do you want before your next job
3) How soon does your new employer want you to start
4) How responsible are you with handling over your tasks to your colleagues
5) If you company practise leave encashment and if so, do you prefer to leave work early (for longer break) or get a small bonus from the unused leave

That's all i can think of for now...

encash the leaf
get some spare cash
better than nothing

jimiraton 29-10-2022 01:57 AM

When I was in the same situation as you are, before my resignation, I told my bosses that I will leave soon and I don't want to receive big projects now and asked to finish all the important stuff I need to finish. Actually leaving the job was the best decision in my life. I had much free time and transformed my hobby into my business. Of course, it took a lot of time, but I had money left after many years of working and it helped me a lot. You can follow the link to learn some useful stuff about opening and owning a small business. believe me guys, it is better than having a 9-5 job. Maybe sometimes it is not that stable but you are free.

Unregistered 29-10-2022 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimiraton (Post 233704)
When I was in the same situation as you are, before my resignation, I told my bosses that I will leave soon and I don't want to receive big projects now and asked to finish all the important stuff I need to finish. Actually leaving the job was the best decision in my life. I had much free time and transformed my hobby into my business. Of course, it took a lot of time, but I had money left after many years of working and it helped me a lot. You can follow the [URL="s://bizop.org"]link[/ to learn some useful stuff about opening and owning a small business. believe me guys, it is better than having a 9-5 job. Maybe sometimes it is not that stable but you are free.

i admire your courage!