Serious advice on career change needed. - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Serious advice on career change needed.

Old 18-04-2021, 09:27 PM

Seantanyew is on a distinguished road
Default Serious advice on career change needed.

I just graduated from my masters in economics from NTU. Want to do a career switch from currently where i am at (healthcare) to something more econs related like market research or commodities.

There is a market research traineeship (1 year contract) which I applied for and I got the job offer. However, being a traineeship, the pay was substantially lower than what I am earning now. The company said there will be potential to convert to a perm job.

Anyone caught in the same boat as me before? Continue staying in your current job that you dont like but pays relatively well or springboard into the unknown with half the pay cut but it is something you like to learn and do, with potential to be converted to a full time role?

Financial wise, i got savings to tide me through. just unsure if i should take the leapt.

Any kind souls here?

Old 19-04-2021, 02:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seantanyew View Post
I just graduated from my masters in economics from NTU. Want to do a career switch from currently where i am at (healthcare) to something more econs related like market research or commodities.

There is a market research traineeship (1 year contract) which I applied for and I got the job offer. However, being a traineeship, the pay was substantially lower than what I am earning now. The company said there will be potential to convert to a perm job.

Anyone caught in the same boat as me before? Continue staying in your current job that you dont like but pays relatively well or springboard into the unknown with half the pay cut but it is something you like to learn and do, with potential to be converted to a full time role?

Financial wise, i got savings to tide me through. just unsure if i should take the leapt.

Any kind souls here?
performing well in a job you like doing is always
if you're doing it for the money and career growth, but not really passionate about the field then i suggest you stay where you are

Old 19-04-2021, 10:30 PM

COVID-19 is on a distinguished road

Is your masters part time?
If I were you, i would go for the traineeship bc that's the career you want isn't it? That's why you even took a Masters, spending time and money. If you were to stay in your current job then why did you even take a masters?

Of course you should still find a higher paying job in market research but if there's really no other alternatives, then take the traineeship. The pay is low bc you dont have relevant experience. In SG, people don't care if you got masters or not, only experience counts.

Old 30-08-2021, 10:06 AM
Unregistered

Default Seeking sincere career advice 🙏🏼

Hi all, decided to post here cause I have no idea why I can’t register as a user and create a thread…

Currently seeking career advice especially from HR / ex-insurance agents / those who work in HQ of insurance companies / banks.

I’m 24F, graduated from local uni with a mechanical engineering degree last year and have been working as an insurance agent the past 2 years (please no hate comments on this career, I’ve learnt so much and am very grateful to have this experience). Currently close to finishing my diploma in personal financial planning too.

Starting to look for a new job as the allowance scheme I’m on will be ending soon and find that I don’t see myself in this job long term. Mainly because I would like some stability and am not that keen on continuously finding new customers.

May I know what are some career options that I can consider in banks / HQ insurance companies that have good starting pay and progression? I am hoping for about $4.5k-$5k/mth. This amount is able to greatly support my elderly parents and I do feel it’s not impossible to reach since I have some experience and qualifications. But I’m still inexperienced and not as knowledgable in this area so would appreciate feedback on my expectation.

I’m keen to explore and do not mind continuing a sales role but perhaps maybe more on distribution. Was looking at MAPs too but salary wise seems to range below my expectation.

Ps. I did look into becoming a RM but decided it’s not for me.
Old 30-08-2021, 02:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all, decided to post here cause I have no idea why I can’t register as a user and create a thread…

Currently seeking career advice especially from HR / ex-insurance agents / those who work in HQ of insurance companies / banks.

I’m 24F, graduated from local uni with a mechanical engineering degree last year and have been working as an insurance agent the past 2 years (please no hate comments on this career, I’ve learnt so much and am very grateful to have this experience). Currently close to finishing my diploma in personal financial planning too.

Starting to look for a new job as the allowance scheme I’m on will be ending soon and find that I don’t see myself in this job long term. Mainly because I would like some stability and am not that keen on continuously finding new customers.

May I know what are some career options that I can consider in banks / HQ insurance companies that have good starting pay and progression? I am hoping for about $4.5k-$5k/mth. This amount is able to greatly support my elderly parents and I do feel it’s not impossible to reach since I have some experience and qualifications. But I’m still inexperienced and not as knowledgable in this area so would appreciate feedback on my expectation.

I’m keen to explore and do not mind continuing a sales role but perhaps maybe more on distribution. Was looking at MAPs too but salary wise seems to range below my expectation.

Given your 2-year experience coupled with your basic mech engineering degree and diploma in financial planning you may try for direct hire positions in financial institutions or insurance companies with pay of approx $4200. You can also try for grad programs in consumer banking with starting salary of $4200-$4500 and it comes with quicker advancement. Anything in the high $4k and above is far stretched given your degree is not in a professional business discipline.
Old 30-08-2021, 02:29 PM
Unregistered

Given your 2-year experience in direct sales your qualifications, you may try for direct hire positions in financial institutions and insurance companies with salary of approximately $4200. You can also try for grad program program in consumer banking and it comes with salary range of $4200-$4500. Any thing above this mentioned figure is a bit far stretched for you at the moment given your education background is not in a related professional business degree and the competition you can expect to face in your job hunt.

Old 27-10-2022, 02:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Hi! I'm in a similar position as you with Mechanical Engineering Degree qualification and ex-Insurance agent. Are you able to share your current progress in your career switch?
Old 27-10-2022, 09:50 AM

COVID-19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Aon or Marsh account management, got fixed salary but your sales experience will be relevant. Are you goodlooking since you were an agent? My ex colleague was SIA flight attendant and SIM grad but earning a lot as employee benefits consultant.
Old 27-10-2022, 10:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seantanyew View Post

Any kind souls here?

potential to convert?
sounds like they cannot promise u with emplacement onto perm head count?
that one come from SB/Ministry or?
Old 27-10-2022, 08:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

if u FA means can talk well + pretty. just be sugar baby can easily earn 5 digits