Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Advice for SAF regular pls (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/13205-advice-singapore-armed-forces-regular-pls.html)

anon2022 20-11-2020 08:32 AM

Advice for SAF regular pls

I'm a SAF regular. Signed under officer scheme with 3 years of minimum term of engagement (MTE). During my second year in service, also signed to extend 1 year for the back-payment instead of sign-on bonus. I left one more month to complete MTE, then one more year to complete the bond. Understand that one year may seem short and the economy is not really good now, people around me are telling me to tahan just for another year, but I really don't feel like staying even for one more day since this job is not suitable for me and it has been mentally straining.

- If I break the bond, does it affect my job opportunity in the civic sector? Or do the civic sector even consider my job application? Also, does it affect the chance of me finding a job in private sector?

- I went to the manpower office to check the amount of money if I were to break the bond, but they are telling me that I must serve MTE and my bond cannot be break even if I am willing to pay. Apparently that's not the case, but I do not want to alert my boss first until I know if I can afford the money for breaking bond. Some colleagues told me just return back-payment for remaining year not served with interest, while some told me may need to return salary received so far, or even what I have yet to receive. Trying my luck to see if anyone has experience or know about breaking SAF contract?

- This is actually my first job. Any other considerations I should make before making the decision?

Advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

Unregistered 20-11-2020 09:30 AM

Having no money will be a bigger mental strain on you even if you successfully leave SAF.

What kind of job do you see yourself doing in your second career?

This is the worst time in a decade to quit without a second job lined up.

Unregistered 20-11-2020 10:56 AM

Just stay on and endure. Jiak liao bee while you can.

Unregistered 20-11-2020 10:59 AM

It's prudent of you to have asked for any other considerations you should have.

While I cannot advise on the SAF contractual issues you have, I must tell you this, no matter how hard it is, please don't quit without a new job lined up. You will probably regret quitting into joblessness during this time.

Unregistered 20-11-2020 11:05 AM

Life in SAF may be boring and life may seem purposeless due to boredom, but its easy money and a jiak liao bee job is the best job in the world so my advice is just stay for one more year.

Unregistered 20-11-2020 11:55 AM

MTE needs to be completed. If not you would not have been deemed having served your NS obligation and would need to serve as a full time NS again

Unregistered 22-11-2020 12:08 AM

What is the hard part of being a saf officer?

Unregistered 22-11-2020 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 149665)

U f**king asshole

U tink its easy signing on in the army?

F*** off man

Unregistered 22-11-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 149665)

exactly. whats so difficult about being a bloody saf officer seriously?

stay on better and jiak your bloody liao bee.

come out can prepare to drive grab or deliver food

Unregistered 25-01-2021 07:46 AM

hey man, I get where you’re coming from totally, meaning you signed the contract after you ORD-ex? (E.g served 2 years of mandatory ns) then decided to sign another 3 years. How is it so far? Have you successfully got the right information regarding you can leave or not or how much you have to pay?