Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Good title and basic pay vs annual package (Inclusive of performance bonus) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1315-good-title-basic-pay-vs-annual-package-inclusive-performance-bonus.html)

Juergen 20-04-2011 02:00 PM

Good title and basic pay vs annual package (Inclusive of performance bonus)

Hi,

Need advice on this. I received 2 job offers this week and I am still cracking over my head over which offer to choose. Appreciate if I can have some valuable inputs from the people here. Thanks.

Offer 1) Title = Staff Engineer
Basic pay = $4,800 with remuneration adjustment after confirmation
Bonus = 1 month AWS + 1 month variable
Other allowances = Mobile claims and yearly $1,200 personal flexi claims (Can use for personal travels, etc)

Offer 2) Title = Senior Engineer
Basic pay = $4,500
Bonus = 1 month AWS + 3 to 5 months performance bonus
Other allowances = None
Other benefits = Company sponsored educational upgrade scheme (No bond needed)

Unregistered 20-04-2011 02:10 PM

what type of company is each? one local, one foreign? same industry?

Juergen 20-04-2011 02:15 PM

Offer 1 is semiconductor/electronic industry.

Offer 2 is doing air conditioning, heating and refrigeration systems.

Both are US Mncs.

Unregistered 20-04-2011 02:48 PM

i would choose the 2nd option. prospects should be better

Juergen 20-04-2011 02:59 PM

What prospects do you mean? Company prospects or personal career prospects?

Unregistered 20-04-2011 04:02 PM

Based solely on the remuneration, I would take Option 2, as the annual package is higher, and potentially much higher, if you are an outstanding performer. Sponsorship for studies (without any bond!) is also a plus point.

Juergen 20-04-2011 04:48 PM

So to you $$$ means more than title and career path?

Unregistered 20-04-2011 04:58 PM

why do you think so highly about title. especially Senior vs Staff engineer. It is not like the difference is Manager vs engineer. No one really cares if it is staff or senior. and the propects of the semicon industry isn't that great. i would believe that in the HVAC industry things would be better, but i do not have experience in this area.

Juergen 20-04-2011 05:05 PM

Do you know that staff engineer is equivalent to manager post?

Unregistered 20-04-2011 05:52 PM

I think I will take Option 1. Just by making a brief calculation. With option 2, the bonus is not confirmed, if the company is not doing well or if they feel you are not going doing well you are losing your bonus. I am not saying you are not a performer but you can never know what will happen in there. Maybe you have screwed up boss etc. I dont know what the educational programme funds are, but certainly you wont have much time making full use of it, ask Company 1 to sponsor your chartership funds. Most MNCs will do that. Moreover, Option 1 you mentioned comes with remuneration adjustment after confirmation. Its a bonus and something to look for in the end.

May I ask how many years of EXP in the related field do you have currently?

NIP 20-04-2011 09:14 PM

Your Decision

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen (Post 11446)
So to you $$$ means more than title and career path?

As someone who has worked for 20+ years in engineering, and if I were in your shoes right now, I would choose option 2.

When you are just starting off your engineering career, it is better to go deep into the technical stuff, get a good grounding / foundation before taking on managerial responsibilities. Engineering Managers are easy to find, but good technical managers are rare and hard to replace. And if you find technical work your cup of tea, you can go and become a professional engineer. Professional engineers are a rare breed and they command a premium for their services / advice.

If you are not well grounded in your knowledge, going around with a "senior" sounding title will not give you an advantage in future job interviews as your shallow grasp of technical issues can easily be exposed in interviews. Indeed, it can be a hindrance and an embarrasment. I came across a number of such candidates when interviewing for my company.

If you are young, you have time on your side. Use it to build up your knowledge. Don't be too pre-occupied with chasing that few dollars. They will come when you have what employers want.

Juergen 20-04-2011 11:39 PM

I currently have about 7 yrs of exp in my related field.

Juergen 21-04-2011 01:09 PM

I have chosen offer 2 this morning. But now offer 1 comes back and counter me with $5500 per month. That's a difference of $1000 per month. It's really a tough choice now.

Unregistered 21-04-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen (Post 11491)
I have chosen offer 2 this morning. But now offer 1 comes back and counter me with $5500 per month. That's a difference of $1000 per month. It's really a tough choice now.

option 1: 5500 x (12 + 1 + 1) = 77000 annual

option 2: 4500 x (12 + 1 + [3 to 5]) = 72000 to 81000 annual

which one is nearer to your house? option 1 or 2?

which one got more FT? chose the one with lesser FT or more SGian

which one got more annual leaves?

Unregistered 23-04-2011 06:30 PM

i recommend that you take option 1. a good base salary is useful when negotiating your next job.. cos normally the salary is negotiated based on last drawn..

uturn 24-04-2011 01:53 AM

have u signed any letter with any of them? :)

curls33 27-04-2011 04:33 PM

how about considering the prospects of the job and the industry...

Unregistered 28-04-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen (Post 11491)

Wow! How I envy you. Don't understand why some people are so lucky.

Unregistered 29-04-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11542)
i recommend that you take option 1. a good base salary is useful when negotiating your next job.. cos normally the salary is negotiated based on last drawn..

Teach you negotiating tactic. Tell the truth about your salary, fake your bonus. If you got 3500 + 5-7 months, tell them 3500 and then 7 months. Just max it ou

k3vin 29-04-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11656)
Wow! How I envy you. Don't understand why some people are so lucky.

A lot of things not just luck you know..

Unregistered 29-04-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k3vin (Post 11669)
A lot of things not just luck you know..

Of course! But, you have not started working... many years down the road, you will be able to understand my sentiments. Because, LUCK really does play a part. Being at the right place and time or meeting the right people helps.