Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Good title and basic pay vs annual package (Inclusive of performance bonus) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1315-good-title-basic-pay-vs-annual-package-inclusive-performance-bonus.html)

Juergen 20-04-2011 02:00 PM

Good title and basic pay vs annual package (Inclusive of performance bonus)

Hi,

Need advice on this. I received 2 job offers this week and I am still cracking over my head over which offer to choose. Appreciate if I can have some valuable inputs from the people here. Thanks.

Offer 1) Title = Staff Engineer
Basic pay = $4,800 with remuneration adjustment after confirmation
Bonus = 1 month AWS + 1 month variable
Other allowances = Mobile claims and yearly $1,200 personal flexi claims (Can use for personal travels, etc)

Offer 2) Title = Senior Engineer
Basic pay = $4,500
Bonus = 1 month AWS + 3 to 5 months performance bonus
Other allowances = None
Other benefits = Company sponsored educational upgrade scheme (No bond needed)

Unregistered 20-04-2011 02:10 PM

what type of company is each? one local, one foreign? same industry?

Juergen 20-04-2011 02:15 PM

Offer 1 is semiconductor/electronic industry.

Offer 2 is doing air conditioning, heating and refrigeration systems.

Both are US Mncs.

Unregistered 20-04-2011 02:48 PM

i would choose the 2nd option. prospects should be better

Juergen 20-04-2011 02:59 PM

What prospects do you mean? Company prospects or personal career prospects?

Unregistered 20-04-2011 04:02 PM

Based solely on the remuneration, I would take Option 2, as the annual package is higher, and potentially much higher, if you are an outstanding performer. Sponsorship for studies (without any bond!) is also a plus point.

Juergen 20-04-2011 04:48 PM

So to you $$$ means more than title and career path?

Unregistered 20-04-2011 04:58 PM

why do you think so highly about title. especially Senior vs Staff engineer. It is not like the difference is Manager vs engineer. No one really cares if it is staff or senior. and the propects of the semicon industry isn't that great. i would believe that in the HVAC industry things would be better, but i do not have experience in this area.

Juergen 20-04-2011 05:05 PM

Do you know that staff engineer is equivalent to manager post?

Unregistered 20-04-2011 05:52 PM

I think I will take Option 1. Just by making a brief calculation. With option 2, the bonus is not confirmed, if the company is not doing well or if they feel you are not going doing well you are losing your bonus. I am not saying you are not a performer but you can never know what will happen in there. Maybe you have screwed up boss etc. I dont know what the educational programme funds are, but certainly you wont have much time making full use of it, ask Company 1 to sponsor your chartership funds. Most MNCs will do that. Moreover, Option 1 you mentioned comes with remuneration adjustment after confirmation. Its a bonus and something to look for in the end.

May I ask how many years of EXP in the related field do you have currently?