Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Engineering Graduate seeking for Admin Job Position? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1314-engineering-graduate-seeking-admin-job-position.html)

JeffLKS 20-04-2011 11:13 AM

Engineering Graduate seeking for Admin Job Position?
 
Is it possible for Engineering graduates to possibly find an HR/Administration Job position? I had been a lookout for such positions and didn't received any luck.

Unregistered 20-04-2011 11:44 AM

aterval making
 
Sure, its possible. Just don't expect a senior position if you have no experience. Apply for a role much lower than your engineering salary and you might convince someone that you are serious about switching careers. Then work your way up.

curryrice 20-04-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffLKS (Post 11416)
Is it possible for Engineering graduates to possibly find an HR/Administration Job position? I had been a lookout for such positions and didn't received any luck.

Why would you wanna be in such jobs?

JeffLKS 21-04-2011 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curryrice (Post 11434)
Why would you wanna be in such jobs?

Because my first consideration to my Job is the working environment. I don't like to work in a industry, but an office. I like doing paper work, than moving around and handling machinery.

Unregistered 22-04-2011 09:16 AM

i am one such fine example. i graduated with a honors in engineering with many portfolio with me. looking long-term, i wouldn't want to do engineering all the time, and now doing admin in finance.

pay cut is really deep... lower than the average posted in the survey here, lower than everyone's expectation of the lowest salary for degree holder, can almost compare similar to diploma holders.

one reason is companies don't see the need to give high pay for admin and paperwork.

but the learning experience here is priceless. IT and finance is a vast world on its own.

JeffLKS 23-04-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11520)
i am one such fine example. i graduated with a honors in engineering with many portfolio with me. looking long-term, i wouldn't want to do engineering all the time, and now doing admin in finance.

pay cut is really deep... lower than the average posted in the survey here, lower than everyone's expectation of the lowest salary for degree holder, can almost compare similar to diploma holders.

one reason is companies don't see the need to give high pay for admin and paperwork.

but the learning experience here is priceless. IT and finance is a vast world on its own.

Your reply had pinpointed that Administration doesn't seek high pay. Is there other office job that had a great career prospects?

get real man 23-04-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffLKS (Post 11543)
Your reply had pinpointed that Administration doesn't seek high pay. Is there other office job that had a great career prospects?

It's really funny such posts come up in the first place. People expect high pay and easy work. I think you'll have to wake up from such fantasy. There'll always be a trade off between career prospects and pay, especially at entry level administrative work. Please be more realistic.

I know a few people with mech engine/EEE degrees working in banks. Their positions ranges from IT to research and trading. Of course, the number of engineer grads decreases with the respective order too. Banks tend to disregard the relevance of your degrees in certain front office functions graduate programs if you're able to prove your worth, but it is still recommended if you have a relevant degree.

There are many so called office positions within the public sector as well. Especially the govt always hire a large amount of fresh graduates. I'm sure you'll definitely be able to find a so called administrative position you are looking for there.

Many opportunities exist, but it's whether you take the opportunity available to you. If you set your expectations too high, you'll never get the job. Be realistic, you have an irrelevant degree and still want a flying entry position? No way.

Unregistered 24-04-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by get real man (Post 11544)
It's really funny such posts come up in the first place. People expect high pay and easy work. I think you'll have to wake up from such fantasy. There'll always be a trade off between career prospects and pay, especially at entry level administrative work. Please be more realistic.

I know a few people with mech engine/EEE degrees working in banks. Their positions ranges from IT to research and trading. Of course, the number of engineer grads decreases with the respective order too. Banks tend to disregard the relevance of your degrees in certain front office functions graduate programs if you're able to prove your worth, but it is still recommended if you have a relevant degree.

There are many so called office positions within the public sector as well. Especially the govt always hire a large amount of fresh graduates. I'm sure you'll definitely be able to find a so called administrative position you are looking for there.

Many opportunities exist, but it's whether you take the opportunity available to you. If you set your expectations too high, you'll never get the job. Be realistic, you have an irrelevant degree and still want a flying entry position? No way.

There's a way if your dad is Ng teng fong, wee cho yaw or lee kuan yew. ;)

Actually even a small timer businessman's children can have flying head start. With 1 or 2 private bank accounts, you can ask your overzealous private bankers to get your kids some "internships". If your kids aren't idiots, the brand name in their CVs can be a stepping stone to greater things.

JeffLKS 24-04-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by get real man (Post 11544)
It's really funny such posts come up in the first place. People expect high pay and easy work. I think you'll have to wake up from such fantasy. There'll always be a trade off between career prospects and pay, especially at entry level administrative work. Please be more realistic.

I know a few people with mech engine/EEE degrees working in banks. Their positions ranges from IT to research and trading. Of course, the number of engineer grads decreases with the respective order too. Banks tend to disregard the relevance of your degrees in certain front office functions graduate programs if you're able to prove your worth, but it is still recommended if you have a relevant degree.

There are many so called office positions within the public sector as well. Especially the govt always hire a large amount of fresh graduates. I'm sure you'll definitely be able to find a so called administrative position you are looking for there.

Many opportunities exist, but it's whether you take the opportunity available to you. If you set your expectations too high, you'll never get the job. Be realistic, you have an irrelevant degree and still want a flying entry position? No way.

Hi, with regards to your reply will I like to defend my point. I am not demanding any high pay with less work loads, the reason why I choose to work in administration is because of the working environment and I truly knows that entry level administration work doesn't seek high salaries as well. My opinion was to head towards this career path from the start to the top, that's what I meant by "career prospect". Of course I don't set my expectations that now I am currently just a Engineering Diploma Graduate and I holds no grounds with administration which in fact I am searching on Temporary Admin job positions to gain my experiences right now.

Unregistered 24-04-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffLKS (Post 11557)
Hi, with regards to your reply will I like to defend my point. I am not demanding any high pay with less work loads, the reason why I choose to work in administration is because of the working environment and I truly knows that entry level administration work doesn't seek high salaries as well. My opinion was to head towards this career path from the start to the top, that's what I meant by "career prospect". Of course I don't set my expectations that now I am currently just a Engineering Diploma Graduate and I holds no grounds with administration which in fact I am searching on Temporary Admin job positions to gain my experiences right now.

u can join govt. quite a lot of admin jobs


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2