15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic - Page 7 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




15% pay cut from private sector to teach in Polytechnic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2011, 12:27 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
loire is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What job did they offer you? I know in RP even Senior Academic Officer (not lecturer) already ~$7k, so I'm surprise they offer only $5.7k for your academic & career credential.
I am from RP, and i can tell you that RP don't have lecturer... Due to the PBL teaching approach in RP, their lecturer are not called lecturer but named as facilitator. the job title in our LOA will be academic staff/senior academic staff which is equivalent to lecturer/senior lecturer in other polytechnic.

Reply With Quote
  #62 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Friend, lecturers aren't professors. They don't make a lot of money. 8k is excessive for a lecturer in a non-managerial position.

If you are good, stay in your professional career. Those who are good, do; those who aren't, teach.
that is an insult to all the teachers or anybody who is pursuing academic career.

Reply With Quote
  #63 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
that is an insult to all the teachers or anybody who is pursuing academic career.
I speak for those with a real passion for their field. Let's imagine that I enjoy engineering. In fact, I enjoy it so much that I will:

1. Read journals just for the fun of it. I even write some myself and try to get published.
2. Run pet projects on my own.
3. Blog about it, write about it, reply to forum posts of people asking about it.
4. Teach as many people who wishes to learn about it. Infect people. Spread the gospel.
5. Improve myself by studying everything available about it.

If I found a job in engineering, what might happen is that I will:

1. Do the same set of engineering work repeatedly.
2. Get promoted to project manager and watch people do it repeatedly.
3. Lost the chance to work on it hands-on because I am now managing.
4. Bash through tons of bureaucracy because I wish to suggest that it be done differently.
5. Lose interest at it, because its the same old things.
6. Only have time to do point 1 to 5 in the other list above only during free-time.

This is one reason why professors and academics exist. This group of people love what they do so much that doing it for money kills the interest.

The downside is that this group of people don't make a lot of money and are constantly slammed by the industry folks to be the groups who can't do, and are thus teaching those stuff. It hurts real bad.

This seems to defy the law that says that when one has the passion and does what he loves, the money comes automatically. It doesn't in this case.

Reply With Quote
  #64 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 115
undiscern is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I speak for those with a real passion for their field. Let's imagine that I enjoy engineering. In fact, I enjoy it so much that I will:

1. Read journals just for the fun of it. I even write some myself and try to get published.
2. Run pet projects on my own.
3. Blog about it, write about it, reply to forum posts of people asking about it.
4. Teach as many people who wishes to learn about it. Infect people. Spread the gospel.
5. Improve myself by studying everything available about it.

If I found a job in engineering, what might happen is that I will:

1. Do the same set of engineering work repeatedly.
2. Get promoted to project manager and watch people do it repeatedly.
3. Lost the chance to work on it hands-on because I am now managing.
4. Bash through tons of bureaucracy because I wish to suggest that it be done differently.
5. Lose interest at it, because its the same old things.
6. Only have time to do point 1 to 5 in the other list above only during free-time.

This is one reason why professors and academics exist. This group of people love what they do so much that doing it for money kills the interest.

The downside is that this group of people don't make a lot of money and are constantly slammed by the industry folks to be the groups who can't do, and are thus teaching those stuff. It hurts real bad.

This seems to defy the law that says that when one has the passion and does what he loves, the money comes automatically. It doesn't in this case.
I think you might be mistaken. Faculty members in Singapore universities are drawing the same rate as American Ivy League universities but with less tax and lower cost of living.

Sad to say, MOST local academics work for the money and there is some truth in the saying of they can only teach and cant do. To make thing worst, many of us also notice that quite a number of them CANT teach at all.
Reply With Quote
  #65 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Not expert on poly lecturer pay, but compared to Uni lecturer 4-5k does sound ridiculously low...

I would expect poly lecturer to be lower pay, but seeing that so many lecturers in our 3 local unis get >10k, I quite surprised to hear that poly cannot even meet half of their uni counterparts.

So let me understand a bit more from ppl who are familiar, like in RP those senior academic staff do they need to have a Master in whatever subject they are teaching before they can conduct lessons?

Do they actually conduct lectures or only help out in some professor to do class work and tutorials?
Reply With Quote
  #66 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Junior assistant profs get only 10k. Moreover, it's hard to get a PhD, especially from a reputable university overseas. These academics are unlikely to ever work in the private sector, and yet they have to face things like "publish or perish", or if they can't teach well, they will get lots of complaints and ultimately the sack.

Other the other hand, some poly lecturers only have Bachelor degrees, and they still get to jump in and out of the private sector.

I think the remuneration for both is fair.
Reply With Quote

  #67 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think university faculty earn much more than poly lecturers, and rightly so, because the bar for entry is much higher. For one, you would need to have a PhD to be placed on the professorial track. This is after slogging for a few years on a stipend while your peers are getting increments and bonuses. And getting hired does not guarantee stability. Academia is very competitive now. As an assistant professor, you are on contract, and if you do not perform within a certain time frame, you have to leave.
Reply With Quote
  #68 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Assoc Professors gets 10k, but gets paid 9 months out of a year. Contract is fixed, no bonus... at least that's what I heard.

If this is true, $90k per annum isn't exactly fantastic.

Lecturers in the Poly gets paid on all 12 months, enjoy AWS and performance bonus.
Reply With Quote
  #69 (permalink)  
Old 13-07-2011, 04:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Assoc Professors gets 10k, but gets paid 9 months out of a year. Contract is fixed, no bonus... at least that's what I heard.

If this is true, $90k per annum isn't exactly fantastic.

Lecturers in the Poly gets paid on all 12 months, enjoy AWS and performance bonus.


I am from RP, have a masters and an academic staff (not Senior) and i make 7k a month
this is 1/2 of what a Uni lecturer makes but I do not have a PhD so i cannot complain.

what i am unhappy about is the PhD academic staff who do the same work as me, but draw higher salary by virtue of having a PhD.

so if there is any advice i can give, get a PhD before joining a polytechnic.
everyone has a PhD now.
Reply With Quote
  #70 (permalink)  
Old 13-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am from RP, have a masters and an academic staff (not Senior) and i make 7k a month
this is 1/2 of what a Uni lecturer makes but I do not have a PhD so i cannot complain.

what i am unhappy about is the PhD academic staff who do the same work as me, but draw higher salary by virtue of having a PhD.

so if there is any advice i can give, get a PhD before joining a polytechnic.
everyone has a PhD now.
7K per month is monthly exclude AWS/Bouns or total annual / 12? If it is monthly, don't RP follow the PAX scheme just like the rest of the poly? you will need to be a PAX 4 to get more than 6.2K per month and PAX 4 is a senior right? PAX5 and below are non senior and get max of 6.2K per month. Do you continue to get increment after you hit your salary ceiling?


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charity sector pay Salary.sg Income and Jobs 4 04-02-2022 12:07 AM
Private Sector vs Public Sector androidguy Income and Jobs 36 30-10-2021 10:21 AM
Advice needed!! SPF Senior police officer vs. Private Sector Liquid Income and Jobs 65 31-05-2019 01:54 AM
Thinking to switch from Private to Government sector Huston Income and Jobs 5 05-04-2012 05:19 PM
Advise on polytechnic courses jonathan920 Income and Jobs 3 09-07-2010 02:39 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,974 Replies, 2,096,987 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,692 Replies, 4,858,937 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,751 Replies, 1,355,517 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,203 Replies, 3,329,403 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,266 Replies, 741,088 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
314 Replies, 309,650 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
702 Replies, 387,080 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,257 Replies, 6,390,558 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
460 Replies, 258,022 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,071 Replies, 2,245,744 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,297 Replies, 985,253 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,646 Replies, 1,495,184 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
108 Replies, 73,250 Views
Visa Internship
3 Replies, 4,275 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
419 Replies, 711,852 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,258 Replies, 12,295,853 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
885 Replies, 484,234 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
635 Replies, 321,771 Views
Company deduct air ticket from...
0 Replies, 164 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
415 Replies, 156,433 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,759 Replies, 1,013,205 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,885 Replies, 10,194,017 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,756 Replies, 1,475,067 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,027 Replies, 425,222 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,197 Replies, 445,852 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,396 Replies, 1,342,687 Views
A*Star (Agency for Science,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 97,602 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,077 Replies, 3,677,552 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,781 Replies, 4,579,702 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
298 Replies, 355,101 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2