Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How much to ask for starting pay for those graduating in 2021? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/13032-how-much-ask-starting-pay-those-graduating-2021-a.html)

Unregistered 11-10-2020 02:55 PM

(Ignoring the trolls who flooded the forum)

Hiring manager here in a engineering MNC.

I have 1 headcount frozen since March 2020, initiated the interview process after receiving approval all the way from BU board management - we had a company wide hiring freeze since early this year.

Interviewed about 10 - 15 candidates, 30-40% were retrenched since early this year, some even have their entire department / BU closed in Singapore. This is when I feel the impact of COVID to the employment market.

The story didn’t end here, few weeks after I have completed my interview process and ready to make offer via HR, I was told that my company is having layoff in July and this position will now be frozen again, I have to tell my candidates this difficult decision and apologise to them.

We had 6 persons removed from our office, and eventually I have this position filled with internal transfer from another BU, have to make compromise on the qualification, fortunately we didn’t have the headcount removed.

I definitely cannot speak for other company / industry, but being in the service department of an engineering company, our forecast for the next 6-12 months is below average. Even if we are able to get vaccinated by end of 2020 (this needs a lot of luck!), the economy will not be out of the wood for another year, and it will never be the same anymore.

Remote working will be a new norm (we are in discussion among management team to downsize the office space), traveling will be a luxury for the next few years, e-commerce and cloud computing is the next big trend, etc.

Unregistered 11-10-2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147144)
Continue to be deluded lols, u guys are the best at day dreaming

Cry me a river

Unregistered 12-10-2020 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147146)
(Ignoring the trolls who flooded the forum)

Hiring manager here in a engineering MNC.

I have 1 headcount frozen since March 2020, initiated the interview process after receiving approval all the way from BU board management - we had a company wide hiring freeze since early this year.

Interviewed about 10 - 15 candidates, 30-40% were retrenched since early this year, some even have their entire department / BU closed in Singapore. This is when I feel the impact of COVID to the employment market.

The story didn’t end here, few weeks after I have completed my interview process and ready to make offer via HR, I was told that my company is having layoff in July and this position will now be frozen again, I have to tell my candidates this difficult decision and apologise to them.

We had 6 persons removed from our office, and eventually I have this position filled with internal transfer from another BU, have to make compromise on the qualification, fortunately we didn’t have the headcount removed.

I definitely cannot speak for other company / industry, but being in the service department of an engineering company, our forecast for the next 6-12 months is below average. Even if we are able to get vaccinated by end of 2020 (this needs a lot of luck!), the economy will not be out of the wood for another year, and it will never be the same anymore.

Remote working will be a new norm (we are in discussion among management team to downsize the office space), traveling will be a luxury for the next few years, e-commerce and cloud computing is the next big trend, etc.

Cool story bro, how long did u take to come up with that?

Unregistered 15-10-2020 12:46 PM

Not quite sure why these self-proclaimed local uni students are so salty and bothered to leave such unwanted comments on this forum meant for SIM students to share their salaries...
Like bruhhhh go back to your books instead of whining and bitching about how SIM students are of a lower tier than you and how their salaries are so low compared to yours la
I’ve worked in HR before and I’ve seen local graduates coming out to earn only $2.5k in their first job (similar to private uni grads)
It’s not so much about where they get their degree in this case, it’s about the job that they’re looking for as well as the past working experiences that they had.
So stop comparing and complaining ya, your low self-esteem is apparent

Unregistered 16-10-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147378)
Not quite sure why these self-proclaimed local uni students are so salty and bothered to leave such unwanted comments on this forum meant for SIM students to share their salaries...
Like bruhhhh go back to your books instead of whining and bitching about how SIM students are of a lower tier than you and how their salaries are so low compared to yours la
I’ve worked in HR before and I’ve seen local graduates coming out to earn only $2.5k in their first job (similar to private uni grads)
It’s not so much about where they get their degree in this case, it’s about the job that they’re looking for as well as the past working experiences that they had.
So stop comparing and complaining ya, your low self-esteem is apparent

No wonder u work in HR.... lepak life

job seeking grad 14-08-2021 11:00 AM

depends on industry (i'm from mktg comms industry)

if you are from science/computing/accountant industry 3k may be ideal but for marketing/hr/mass comm, 2.5-2.8k is prolly the range you are looking for. (as of 2021 adjusted due to pandemic)

I am a private U grad and don't have much experience plus considering the pandemic, I value myself at 2.5k to compete with the big 4 students. However I have received some that offer up to 3.5k but it's a one month job as opposed to full time.

Some will have benefits (MC, dental, mobile phone allowance, AWS) with lower pay, some will pay off-in-lieu instead of OT, some will pay higher but no benefits or OT.

It's all about striking a balance here, corporate (big) companies tend to have more politics whereas SMEs market themselves as a 'fun' and 'close-knitted' company (tho whether they truly are remains to be seen). But SMEs/factory tend to pay less.

Given how there is a shortage of jobs in marketing rn because according to an agent, marketing is thr first to go in a pandemic/economic depression, if you are a mktg grad like me you might wanna consider taking up short admin asst assignments or sales to tide through and switch when times get better.

There would likely be a surge of jobs for mktg and related industries when our economy goes back to normal in the 'recovery' phase as companies would prolly be aggressively marketing to compete with competitors (once they ensure their survival they will aim to win their competitor, consider the Maslow's hierachy of needs).

Unregistered 17-08-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by job seeking grad (Post 180069)
if you are from science/computing/accountant industry 3k may be ideal but for marketing/hr/mass comm, 2.5-2.8k is prolly the range you are looking for. (as of 2021 adjusted due to pandemic)

I am a private U grad and don't have much experience plus considering the pandemic, I value myself at 2.5k to compete with the big 4 students. However I have received some that offer up to 3.5k but it's a one month job as opposed to full time.

Some will have benefits (MC, dental, mobile phone allowance, AWS) with lower pay, some will pay off-in-lieu instead of OT, some will pay higher but no benefits or OT.

It's all about striking a balance here, corporate (big) companies tend to have more politics whereas SMEs market themselves as a 'fun' and 'close-knitted' company (tho whether they truly are remains to be seen). But SMEs/factory tend to pay less.

Given how there is a shortage of jobs in marketing rn because according to an agent, marketing is thr first to go in a pandemic/economic depression, if you are a mktg grad like me you might wanna consider taking up short admin asst assignments or sales to tide through and switch when times get better.

There would likely be a surge of jobs for mktg and related industries when our economy goes back to normal in the 'recovery' phase as companies would prolly be aggressively marketing to compete with competitors (once they ensure their survival they will aim to win their competitor, consider the Maslow's hierachy of needs).

Agree, 2.9k to 3k is already on the high end. I have friends all only stating 2.4k for fresh grad.

Unregistered 18-08-2021 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 180271)
Agree, 2.9k to 3k is already on the high end. I have friends all only stating 2.4k for fresh grad.

Yup starting pay is below 2500 nowadays for engineers

Unregistered 19-08-2021 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by job seeking grad (Post 180069)

You think SME no play politics one ah? You tan ku ku lah :)

Agree it is tough to break into the marketing industry even without the pandemic, unless you are a top grad or female with at least decent looks.

Unregistered 19-08-2021 01:50 PM

2.5 - 3.5k for a typical non-MA/prog role