University graduate working part-time? Help! - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

University graduate working part-time? Help!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:23 PM

k3vin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yk89 View Post
Precisely, I am a singaporean!! Is it because I am from a private university instead of the top local unis?
Yes there is an impact definitely, but 1k on a perm part time basis is low. You should be looking at 2k per month full time. But if you need the cash and you can leave the position easily. You can just take it as a job that pays you $8 per hour. Since 30 hours x $8 = $240 and thats around 1k for a month's work.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Unregistered

Just do it to get to know people while waiting for your cert...

Anyway why you rush getting into working life ? If you are not in need of moolah, should just enjoy life till you get your cert and hunting for job.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:50 AM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

I know it is really frustrating to be in your situation. On the surface of the facts given,it does sound like you are unpaid...unfairly treated etc. But here are some things you can work on
1. Do the temp job while you find another and leave it with no regrets when you find the new one. If they are paying this low wage, they know it as well. C’mon, it is even lower than what they pay NSF officers right ?

2. Get interview tips from other older people whom are hiring managers in other company. This is not to get a job from these people but to get them to tell you what verbal and non verbal mistakes you may or may not know that you are making in the interview. This is something I advocate especially to fresh young working adults whom find themselves in a similar situation. Many don’t realize they are making fatal mistakes in their interviews. I remember a candidate I interviewed recently whom came into the room and sat on swivel chair. During the interview, she swiveled in her chair constantly which portrayed her as childish and immature for the position she was applying for.

3. Finally, when you get the job you want - Be Thankful. You have just learnt first hand what it means when life is not “fair” and being treated fairly is a privilege not an entitlement. Aside from the real basic human needs like safety, leave etc mandated by the laws of the country, many things are privileges. No one said getting a degree means u get a good job. If so, the many US and Euro grads wont be coming to asia to work here since they really have such fantastic work life balance there and such good pay

Old 12-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Verified Member

yk89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just do it to get to know people while waiting for your cert...

Anyway why you rush getting into working life ? If you are not in need of moolah, should just enjoy life till you get your cert and hunting for job.
But you know, the elders at home. they just keep scolding because there is a social stigma for fresh graduates to immediately start working after completing their studies. I have friends who want to take time off to travel, some want to catch up with friends, some want to spend some time doing things that they had no time to do when having exams. So why not spend a few months to enjoy before working life ties us down right? But this is the common view of many people right?
Old 12-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyplane View Post
I know it is really frustrating to be in your situation. On the surface of the facts given,it does sound like you are unpaid...unfairly treated etc. But here are some things you can work on
1. Do the temp job while you find another and leave it with no regrets when you find the new one. If they are paying this low wage, they know it as well. C’mon, it is even lower than what they pay NSF officers right ?

2. Get interview tips from other older people whom are hiring managers in other company. This is not to get a job from these people but to get them to tell you what verbal and non verbal mistakes you may or may not know that you are making in the interview. This is something I advocate especially to fresh young working adults whom find themselves in a similar situation. Many don’t realize they are making fatal mistakes in their interviews. I remember a candidate I interviewed recently whom came into the room and sat on swivel chair. During the interview, she swiveled in her chair constantly which portrayed her as childish and immature for the position she was applying for.

3. Finally, when you get the job you want - Be Thankful. You have just learnt first hand what it means when life is not “fair” and being treated fairly is a privilege not an entitlement. Aside from the real basic human needs like safety, leave etc mandated by the laws of the country, many things are privileges. No one said getting a degree means u get a good job. If so, the many US and Euro grads wont be coming to asia to work here since they really have such fantastic work life balance there and such good pay
I read through what you wrote, and I appreciate it! Can I ask you, whether the low pay now will affect how my future employer pay me? Will it make it difficult for me to command a good pay in future?
Old 12-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You know, very sadly, they said that even if I "upgrade" to a full-time (still under contract), my salary will still only be SLIGHTLY more than $1000! The reason they said is because I haven't gotten my uni cert officially yet so i am still counted as having a'level qualifications only. Why can my sim seniors get at least $2000 (some even get $3000) and I am still seen as an a'level student when I am obviously only waiting for my cert now? Do you have any advice? are they really offering a very low pay? Underpaying
just to share. i'm also waiting for my official nus graduation in july but have started job hunting for a few months. have not yet encountered anyone telling me i'm still considered under a'level qualifications, so they might just be giving u an excuse for a low pay.

anyway, if the job gives u lots of things to learn, which are relevant to the industry u're going into and adds value to ur 'marketability', why not? just make sure u can leave anytime!

Old 12-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You know, very sadly, they said that even if I "upgrade" to a full-time (still under contract), my salary will still only be SLIGHTLY more than $1000! The reason they said is because I haven't gotten my uni cert officially yet so i am still counted as having a'level qualifications only. Why can my sim seniors get at least $2000 (some even get $3000) and I am still seen as an a'level student when I am obviously only waiting for my cert now? Do you have any advice? are they really offering a very low pay? Underpaying
I guess you already know the answer to your question. If you need more confirmation, yes I think they are really offering way too low. Can I know what is the job responsibilities?

Haha I totally understand how you feel about the elders at home nagging about getting a job! When I first graduated in Nov 08, my mom couldn't stop asking me about my job search before I started work on Mar 09. But not to worry, things will get better when you finally land yourself a worthy job. Honestly, unless you are starving without a job (i.e if finances allow), why not actively look for another opportunity? If perm jobs are tough to come by, you can try temp or contract jobs. They should pay better than $1k. Have you tried contracts via agencies?
Old 14-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I guess you already know the answer to your question. If you need more confirmation, yes I think they are really offering way too low. Can I know what is the job responsibilities?

Haha I totally understand how you feel about the elders at home nagging about getting a job! When I first graduated in Nov 08, my mom couldn't stop asking me about my job search before I started work on Mar 09. But not to worry, things will get better when you finally land yourself a worthy job. Honestly, unless you are starving without a job (i.e if finances allow), why not actively look for another opportunity? If perm jobs are tough to come by, you can try temp or contract jobs. They should pay better than $1k. Have you tried contracts via agencies?
I am trying to look for better opportunities now, wish me luck!
Old 14-04-2011, 04:26 PM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

i cannot speak for all employers but myself... for me, it does not matter what u drew but the value of the job...

if u r underpaid for the job , you will leave...

those overpaid will stick around for long time..

one final word.. dont think too far ahead for this kind of situtations... dont worry about ten / 20 years lah...
keep focus on the next step and then proceed. really no point worrying abt so far away future...

somethings can plan , some things cant... wisdom to know which r worth planning

Quote:
I read through what you wrote, and I appreciate it! Can I ask you, whether the low pay now will affect how my future employer pay me? Will it make it difficult for me to command a good pay in future?
Old 15-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyplane View Post
I remember a candidate I interviewed recently whom came into the room and sat on swivel chair. During the interview, she swiveled in her chair constantly which portrayed her as childish and immature for the position she was applying for.
oh man, was that me? I did that for an interview for an internship and I failed it obviously :P but that was quite long ago... back in 2006 I think.