Dilemma regarding possible career switch - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Dilemma regarding possible career switch

Old 30-08-2020, 11:24 PM

lostzw is on a distinguished road
Default Dilemma regarding possible career switch

Hi everyone. I am currently facing a dilemma in regards to my long term career goals. So here's a little bit about myself:

I graduated with a Materials Engineering degree from NTU last year, and am currently working in the semiconductor manufacturing industry as a process engineer dealing in electrical testing where i have been working for around 6 months now. Recently, i have realised that this industry is actually not something i am fond of pursuing in the long run, and that's why i have been thinking really hard over this pandemic period about what do i truly want out of my career. So as such, i have actually considered possible career paths based on my interests on what i truly want out of my long-term career goals:

1. Environmental Sustainability/management related field ( am considering pursuing masters from local universities such as NUS Msc in Environmental management which is the closest to this, but seems they require working experience / background in environmental-related fields). Personally, i am actually more inclined towards helping organizations in analyzing, researching and providing consultancy/guidance in improving their sustainability practices( here's a JD example of what i feel i would enjoy doing: https://eygbl.referrals.selectminds....aduates-135362), but i know such jobs are scarce here in SG.

2. Transition into data analyst / analytics field (I do kind of enjoy performing data analysis in general, its just that i do not enjoy doing it in the electronics manufacturing industry which i am currently in), as i actually enjoy the process of using mathematical concepts such as statistics and probability to analyze data sets and trends. Programming knowledge wise, i do have the foundation on the basic concepts, will just need to upgrade myself on this aspect if i do wish to jump into this field.

Any advice from forumers here will be appreciated, be it personal experience or anything else. Nonetheless, i am planning to at least hold it out through this year minimally through this tough COVID period in my current role so as to gain some working experience first before deciding on my next path.

Old 31-08-2020, 01:40 PM
Unregistered

Maybe you can look into becoming a singapore certified energy manger to pivot into sustainability field of work.

You can take up the course while still holding down your current job.

Old 28-10-2020, 10:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostzw View Post
Hi everyone. I am currently facing a dilemma in regards to my long term career goals. So here's a little bit about myself:

I graduated with a Materials Engineering degree from NTU last year, and am currently working in the semiconductor manufacturing industry as a process engineer dealing in electrical testing where i have been working for around 6 months now. Recently, i have realised that this industry is actually not something i am fond of pursuing in the long run, and that's why i have been thinking really hard over this pandemic period about what do i truly want out of my career. So as such, i have actually considered possible career paths based on my interests on what i truly want out of my long-term career goals:

1. Environmental Sustainability/management related field ( am considering pursuing masters from local universities such as NUS Msc in Environmental management which is the closest to this, but seems they require working experience / background in environmental-related fields). Personally, i am actually more inclined towards helping organizations in analyzing, researching and providing consultancy/guidance in improving their sustainability practices( here's a JD example of what i feel i would enjoy doing: [s://eygbl.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/assurance-assistant-%E2%80%93-climate-change-and-sustainability-services-singapore-2021-graduates-135362[/), but i know such jobs are scarce here in SG.

2. Transition into data analyst / analytics field (I do kind of enjoy performing data analysis in general, its just that i do not enjoy doing it in the electronics manufacturing industry which i am currently in), as i actually enjoy the process of using mathematical concepts such as statistics and probability to analyze data sets and trends. Programming knowledge wise, i do have the foundation on the basic concepts, will just need to upgrade myself on this aspect if i do wish to jump into this field.

Any advice from forumers here will be appreciated, be it personal experience or anything else. Nonetheless, i am planning to at least hold it out through this year minimally through this tough COVID period in my current role so as to gain some working experience first before deciding on my next path.
Another jumping into the data analytics bandwagon, lol all these people.

Like as if you are truly interested. then why did u take up a material engineering degree last time?

Old 17-12-2020, 12:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Another jumping into the data analytics bandwagon, lol all these people.

Like as if you are truly interested. then why did u take up a material engineering degree last time?
Many wanna jump into AI/DS after learning python LOL.
I applaud their enthusiasm
My suggestion is all better do a deep dive into the subject
Read research paper before u say u wanna do AI/DS instead of watching video
I think soon there will be many “Data Scientist” and “ML Engineers” around
Old 17-12-2020, 09:49 AM
Unregistered

On the data analytics career switch, I would advise against it for three reasons.

First, the field is starting to get extremely bloated. Salaries are starting to fall and the average level of expertise is going up. You will find it very tough to find a good job, especially as you are coming to the field for the first time. You will probably need to intern for a while too.

Second, progression is very dependent on technical ability, which is only a good thing if you are ahead of the curve. Though you might be able to secure a job with a good starting salary, you will release that your salary will remain static beyond a certain point unless you are quite intelligent or you decide to go for a masters or phd.

Third, the work is not as interesting as you seem to think it is. Junior data scientists spend 70% of their time cleaning data. It's honestly one of the most boring jobs I've ever done.
Old 17-12-2020, 10:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
On the data analytics career switch, I would advise against it for three reasons.

First, the field is starting to get extremely bloated. Salaries are starting to fall and the average level of expertise is going up. You will find it very tough to find a good job, especially as you are coming to the field for the first time. You will probably need to intern for a while too.

Second, progression is very dependent on technical ability, which is only a good thing if you are ahead of the curve. Though you might be able to secure a job with a good starting salary, you will release that your salary will remain static beyond a certain point unless you are quite intelligent or you decide to go for a masters or phd.

Third, the work is not as interesting as you seem to think it is. Junior data scientists spend 70% of their time cleaning data. It's honestly one of the most boring jobs I've ever done.
Totally agree, nowadays any tom or jerry also data scientist. The capacity is reaching saturation.

Old 17-12-2020, 03:15 PM
Unregistered

Wink

Quote:
Totally agree, nowadays any tom or jerry also data scientist. The capacity is reaching saturation.
They want data scientist cause of the pay la.
Just like when the Internet boom, everyone wants to be Web developer.
Then boom mobile. Everyone wants to be a mobile developer.

Then. Boom. Now data scientist.
Then boom smart nation. AI
Old 17-12-2020, 04:36 PM
Unregistered

Seems like you're projecting your own insecurities onto others, you cant see yourself doing it and hence you go around trying to convince others they cant do it as well. What's wrong with picking up a skill which we feel would be useful in the future? Our country wouldn't progress if everyone had the same negative mentality as you.
Old 17-12-2020, 08:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Seems like you're projecting your own insecurities onto others, you cant see yourself doing it and hence you go around trying to convince others they cant do it as well. What's wrong with picking up a skill which we feel would be useful in the future? Our country wouldn't progress if everyone had the same negative mentality as you.
Nah i just find it dumb people watch a video on trend prediction using tensorflow on python and think they can be DS
Old 17-12-2020, 09:55 PM
Unregistered

lmao everyone was an amateur at some point in time. I suppose you also find it dumb that babies think they can walk after just managing to crawl. Maybe we should all take your advice, sit in a corner and sulk all day, not try to learn anything new since we are just a bunch of amateurs and doomed to fail. That right?