Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

UBS Financial Services Industry Academy

Old 02-08-2021, 10:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
By colleagues you mean HR and SUPER trainees? The rest of us honestly cba with you. Do yourself a favour and read the anecdotes written here by your seniors. The only one hurt is you. Frankly, I expect more from a few hours of nitpicking.
I would have expected you to be more efficient than taking a few hours to read through a few pages of comments.. or is that not an accurate measure of your capabilities?

Old 02-08-2021, 10:45 PM
Unregistered

Aiya yall dont need to argue so much. Just read below and you will understand why some of these SGUTs need to inflate their titles to make themselves that bit better

Quote:
I'm from the 2020 batch going to end my traineeship in a few months time.

You're right on the conversion, my manager just told me up front they do not intend on converting. The traineeship covers their semester long intern requisition they do twice a year, and they don't convert those either.

The program isn't really well planned, no orientation, no proper roles planned etc. It's like you're there to cover whatever work the associates and managers can't do, so you'll really get quite a range of work to do from diff managers. Most of them are very menial like data cleaning, checking etc, so there's not much learning value to it.

And somehow i get the feeling that the full timers there kind of look down on us, like they will keep saying things like, aiya why u got traineeship, never work hard enough and so on, so its kinda quite toxic there.

Some of my friends and I wanted to quit a few weeks in but realized we have no where to go. Hais.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
For those looking to apply this year, I'd say dont't bother. Chances of converting into a full time role is almost 0. Majority of you aren't going to get licensed so will likely be relegated to worthless tasks like generating reports and data entry. Salary is also low too.

Granted the people are nice but there is a general distaste for the program by existing trainees and even their full time employees. If you want to be low cost labor for a year, then maybe this is for you

Source: am going through it now.
The truth.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
That is pretty much the same case as banks all seek to minimize costs. Cutting back infrastructure support, manpower resources, rather stick to the archaic system of doing things than to embrace tech, etc.

in all honesty, which other Bank offers this kinda programme with such a low barrier to entry?
As far as I remember, the (real) aim of this programme was for UBS to "give back" to SG, since back in 2020 employment demand virtually hit rock bottom due to COVID19. More like UBS was/is trying to gain brownie points w/ the govt. And i quote from the official press release
"...... equip trainees with skills and experiences that would be valuable as Singapore's recovery phase begins following the Covid-19 pandemic.
The initiative is aligned with the workforce development priorities of the Monetary Authority of Singapore, it added."

Most of the replies here were basically suggesting the trainees treated like cheap labour, underpaid and not being able to be work on "exciting" tasks, second-class employees, etc.
With all due respect, for all of the above anyone with a quarter of a brain could see this coming from a mile.

I am working in a Bank as well, and have been in the banking industry coming 8 years. My post is not to put anyone in this programme down but rather, to highlight to you the reality v.s. expectations. It's not wrong to have expectations - i.e. the possibility of conversion but you need to weigh your options carefully. Always be on a look out for other better job prospects man..
Truth part 2
Old 02-08-2021, 11:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Ha, just caught you out. UBS has raised their IB analyst pool worldwide a while ago.

A SGUT trainee will always be a SGUT trainee. There is a reason why UBS still conducts their GTP program every year. Think about it, won't it benefit UBS to pay 2.5k for SGUT trainees instead of paying proper full-time salaries to their GTP graduates? UBS clearly sees that the people applying for SGUT as lacking and that is why they continued on with their GTP program.

When you pay peanuts, you're just gonna get monkeys. Glad UBS sees the same.
Truth part 3
Old 02-08-2021, 11:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
By colleagues you mean HR and SUPER trainees? The rest of us honestly cba with you. Do yourself a favour and read the anecdotes written here by your seniors. The only one hurt is you. Frankly, I expect more from a few hours of nitpicking.
Bold of you to assume that they are the same person lol. Your poise of superiority disgusted me. I am from a different bank and I am relieved that I accepted another bank instead of UBS. Place full of toxicity

Old 02-08-2021, 11:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm not from the GTP program but I have friends within the GTP program. I work for another bank, we talk amongst ourselves between the different banks' comps. Of course the increase is lower in APAC, the IB fees are lower here. Any idea what the typical fee here in SEA is?

It's funny that you say "in fact" when you have not even substantiated your claim that I don't know my stuff. I have only asked for additional clarity about people making the jump from SGUT to the full-time IB team and this is through the form of the Linkedin profile of the said individual. It's easy to do such a search, there is less than 10 analysts within UBS' IB team - guaranteed. Your sharing of that said individual's profile would put any doubts to rest.

You, on the other hand, what have you done? You have deviated from the point of the question and you're just creating smokescreens but the fact of the matter remains - show me evidence of an SGUT trainee making the jump into the full-time or GTP program.
Truth part 4
Old 02-08-2021, 11:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Truth part 3
Are you dumb? You are merely referencing the previous posts, pls stop this stupid act.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:05 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Are you dumb? You are merely referencing the previous posts, pls stop this stupid act.
Bumping them up to see if any SGUT trainees could provide any hard evidence to disprove these claims. I know for a fact (yes, i'm calling it now) that no one can disprove these claims and let me enphasis again - only hard, pictorial evidence accepted.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Bumping them up to see if any SGUT trainees could provide any hard evidence to disprove these claims. I know for a fact (yes, i'm calling it now) that no one can disprove these claims and let me enphasis again - only hard, pictorial evidence accepted.
Emphasise*, not gonna let anyone of these SGUT jump in (and attack a misspelling) and attack the integrity of my challenge.