Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   UBS Financial Services Industry Academy (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12967-ubs-financial-services-industry-academy.html)

Unregistered 24-04-2021 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166458)
I only had one internship and a bank and the rest are like meh, but i still got 4 offers from banks? Irrelevant

??? Are you stupid?

You just said you had a brand name internship from a bank.

Unregistered 24-04-2021 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166455)
Maybe this is the reason why you cant find a job and am going for a traineeship.

Employers dont look at brand names, but ur job scope, responsibilities, skills etc.

The person who posted this is either a troll or just really really dense

Unregistered 24-04-2021 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166459)
??? Are you stupid?

You just said you had a brand name internship from a bank.

The bank internship i took was lloyd bank whos presence here is almost non existence. What brand name u talking about?

Unregistered 24-04-2021 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166458)
I only had one internship and a bank and the rest are like meh, but i still got 4 offers from banks? Irrelevant

Lloyd bank, Sri Lanka bank, bank of India and ANZ?

“Employers don’t look at brand names” 🤣

Unregistered 24-04-2021 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166473)

Internship at Bank or middle office is overrated. I have 4 years of experience. I can tell you the salary is average. 6k to 8k AVP in 5 to 8 years? There are plenty of MNC that can pay that amount (Most fortune 500 companies should be able to pay at that range). You dont have to go to the bank.

Unregistered 24-04-2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166473)

You're not even getting the point of what that poster is saying.

The traineeship guy was saying UBS brand name not bad, worth the low salary for 1 year. But the guy was just saying dont go just for the brand name.

Why so defensive sia

Unregistered 24-04-2021 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166477)
You're not even getting the point of what that poster is saying.

The traineeship guy was saying UBS brand name not bad, worth the low salary for 1 year. But the guy was just saying dont go just for the brand name.

Why so defensive sia

No one is being defensive here lol. On the contrary, you are giving pretty stupid advice.

For someone who has no better prospects, a UBS traineeship beats a SME traineeship any day of the week.

P.S. I myself am in a MA program in a foreign bank.

Unregistered 24-04-2021 10:09 PM

Brand name obviously matters.

Harvard vs NUS
GS/JPM vs DBS/OCBC
FAANG vs IMDA
MBB vs Tier 2

Unregistered 25-04-2021 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166479)
Brand name obviously matters.

Harvard vs NUS
GS/JPM vs DBS/OCBC
FAANG vs IMDA
MBB vs Tier 2

Jobs matter more than brand especially for BO and MO jobs. But for jobs like FO, brand matters because you have more exposure to larger asset pool. Similar to tech as well, working at google means you are dealing with high traffic application vs imda. The nature job itself is actually different although same title.

Nowadays, engineer working at self driving car can earn 500k to millions at Tesla/Google but it is called software engineer. Ah beng working at NTUC POS system is also called software engineer with 40k salary.

Unregistered 25-04-2021 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166527)
Jobs matter more than brand especially for BO and MO jobs. But for jobs like FO, brand matters because you have more exposure to larger asset pool. Similar to tech as well, working at google means you are dealing with high traffic application vs imda. The nature job itself is actually different although same title.

Nowadays, engineer working at self driving car can earn 500k to millions at Tesla/Google but it is called software engineer. Ah beng working at NTUC POS system is also called software engineer with 40k salary.

Thats where you are wrong.

Imagine you are applying to BB MO/BO. Will your chances of going to GS/JPM in a similar role be lower or higher if you are coming from DBS as compared to say UBS/CS/MS?

Unregistered 25-04-2021 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166536)

Imagine you are applying to BB MO/BO. Will your chances of going to GS/JPM in a similar role be lower or higher if you are coming from DBS as compared to say UBS/CS/MS?

Here's where you're wrong.

I got a role in equities at JPM even though i did only a previous internship at UOB and another at big 4.

So myopic

Unregistered 25-04-2021 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166557)

I got a role in equities at JPM even though i did only a previous internship at UOB and another at big 4.

So myopic

which desk and what function?

hard to believe that u broke into S&T FO w/o other significant accomplishments (e.g. stock pitch comps etc.)

fellow jpmc here

Unregistered 25-04-2021 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166557)

So myopic

The very fact that you mentioned that you made it into JPM shows that brand matters rofl (assuming you’re speaking the truth that is)

Are you telling me that if JPM comes knocking you’d have chosen UOB/B4 internships over JPM? Don’t be ridiculous. Besides, even though Big 4 and UOB aren’t big brand names, they are STILL brand names. Do you honestly believe branding doesn’t matter and you’d still be able to break into equities @ JPM if your past experiences were from no-name boutiques? LMAO

Unregistered 25-04-2021 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166564)

hard to believe that u broke into S&T FO w/o other significant accomplishments (e.g. stock pitch comps etc.)

fellow jpmc here

Uob ops intern and big 4 audit. I didnt attend case comp.

Unregistered 25-04-2021 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166568)
Uob ops intern and big 4 audit. I didnt attend case comp.

so u are in BO la lol

Unregistered 25-04-2021 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166567)
The very fact that you mentioned that you made it into JPM shows that brand matters rofl (assuming you’re speaking the truth that is)

Are you telling me that if JPM comes knocking you’d have chosen UOB/B4 internships over JPM? Don’t be ridiculous. Besides, even though Big 4 and UOB aren’t big brand names, they are STILL brand names. Do you honestly believe branding doesn’t matter and you’d still be able to break into equities @ JPM if your past experiences were from no-name boutiques? LMAO

I think pea brain like u dont get the point
By ur definition of brand name every company that u know is alr considered as having a 'brand name' alr.
The previous post stated that all the top firms will ofc prefer "brand names" like those im BB firms relative to local firms, but my point is that I was saying that it does not matter, as u see from my internships.

Its about how u speak and sell urself. U can have such a good intern portfolio but u are **** at talking, u will def fail any assessment centre and let alone any BB interviews.

So narrow minded

Unregistered 25-04-2021 11:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

By ur definition of brand name every company that u know is alr considered as having a 'brand name' alr.
The previous post stated that all the top firms will ofc prefer "brand names" like those im BB firms relative to local firms, but my point is that I was saying that it does not matter, as u see from my internships.

Its about how u speak and sell urself. U can have such a good intern portfolio but u are **** at talking, u will def fail any assessment centre and let alone any BB interviews

Nevermind la. Someone ur level cant understand. Throughout my interview with JPM all they asked were my skills and experiences as opposed to the firm i interned in

Unregistered 25-04-2021 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166569)
so u are in BO la lol

Bro im in equities trading desk. Or maybe u too dumb to understand

Unregistered 26-04-2021 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166536)

Hard to reason with stupid bro.

That guy is probably a troll, just ignore him.

Unregistered 26-04-2021 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166573)
Bro im in equities trading desk. Or maybe u too dumb to understand

csb. big 4 and UOB ops break into BB FO.

Unregistered 26-04-2021 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166572)

Its about how u speak and sell urself. U can have such a good intern portfolio but u are **** at talking, u will def fail any assessment centre and let alone any BB interviews

Nevermind la. Someone ur level cant understand. Throughout my interview with JPM all they asked were my skills and experiences as opposed to the firm i interned in

Why so defensive?

Oh wait, forget you’re UOB ops + Big 4 who miraculously made it into JPM FO Trading 🤣

Unregistered 26-04-2021 09:24 AM

to the original poster who asked about the opportunity cost, if u have nth lined up. just go in first and look for exits at the same time.

all the best!

Unregistered 26-04-2021 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166589)
to the original poster who asked about the opportunity cost, if u have nth lined up. just go in first and look for exits at the same time.

all the best!

got it! thank you so much! really appreciate your reply ill try look for other opportunities in the mean time! thank you :))

Unregistered 26-04-2021 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166564)

fellow jpmc here

do share more.

am honestly amazed if it’s legit. will look u up on the jpmc phonebook

Unregistered 26-04-2021 05:55 PM

Trying to relate back to the SUPER trainee topic here. Anyone who experienced in the 2020 asset management batch can advise whether works are all ad-hoc/data-entry? Interviewing with them soon. Thanks.

Unregistered 26-04-2021 06:41 PM

Hi, just checking on how long is the process from video interview to interview with the various to the offer? Roughly how long does it take?

Unregistered 29-04-2021 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166665)
Hi, just checking on how long is the process from video interview to interview with the various to the offer? Roughly how long does it take?

If you finished your video interview, you should be hearing back soon, they conducting interview now, after you finish the department interviews, you’ll back in a week or 2 for the hr round and that’s it, from what I heard they planning to give out offers from mid May

Unregistered 29-04-2021 09:40 AM

i have turned down the offer.

BURN THE BOATS!

nonetheless for those going in all the best!

pls let us know how it really is inside.

Unregistered 29-04-2021 01:12 PM

why did you turn down the offer?

Unregistered 29-04-2021 01:16 PM

Just wanted to hear from the 2020 batch, have you communicated your intent for conversion to your superiors/hr and what is the response like?

Unregistered 29-04-2021 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166993)
why did you turn down the offer?

Rather work else whr as a full timer.

Plus u can read back. Many not so good things said

Unregistered 29-04-2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167014)
Rather work else whr as a full timer.

Plus u can read back. Many not so good things said

As a trainee*

Unregistered 03-05-2021 04:17 PM

Interviewed with 4 AM teams so far for the SUPER program.
Will be accepting the offer.

Despite all the negativity going on around here, I am in for learning experience and not going in with the expectation of a conversion. Will be looking around for grad programs when applications open later this year.
It really depends on the circumstances you're in. tbh I don't have prior AM experience nor am I from a local university. Having the brand name on my resume, potential to network with the managers, and putting one step into the industry is good for me.

If your primary concern is salary/conversion then this program NOT for you.

Unregistered 04-05-2021 01:24 AM

what were the interviews like? were there a lot of technical qns?
i don't have any am/banking/fi experience so not rly sure what to expect.

thanks in advance!

Unregistered 04-05-2021 01:10 PM

You already got the offer? I am still waiting for the HR to get back to me

BiestaGetse 05-05-2021 01:04 AM

Unfortunately, I also don't have any am/ banking/ fi experience, so I don't try it. I'm always afraid that I will lose sight of some necessary amounts and lose money due to my carelessness. I tried to create the financial model for your startup, but I don't understand this. So, I lost a lot of time and, as a result, got nothing. That's why I addressed for the help to sturppy waiting for the qualitative professional work. Luckily they met my expectations, and I got the desired project at the highest level

Unregistered 05-05-2021 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 167486)
what were the interviews like? were there a lot of technical qns?
i don't have any am/banking/fi experience so not rly sure what to expect.

thanks in advance!

It really depends on the interviewer.
Some asked technical questions like "what do you think about the inflation fear", "what happened in the S&P500 last week", "how would you recommend a client to invest in today's context".
Most questions were character fit questions related to values they look for.
Be prepared for "run me through your resume" too

Unregistered 05-05-2021 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166994)
Just wanted to hear from the 2020 batch, have you communicated your intent for conversion to your superiors/hr and what is the response like?

Depends on the all mighty headcount. Some might be vague (then assume no) or some might upfront tell you there is none. Unless it’s a concrete yes, don’t believe. They can promise a lot but until you sign above the dotted line, nothing is fixed.

Unregistered 10-05-2021 05:03 PM

Just got a call from HR, been verbally given the offer to join the AM division, anyone else heard back?

Unregistered 11-05-2021 03:56 PM

Same here. Got the verbal confirmation