Any thoughts on OCBC SGUnited Traineeship jobs to share? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Any thoughts on OCBC SGUnited Traineeship jobs to share?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2020, 10:25 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 28
goespro.tocall is on a distinguished road
Default Any thoughts on OCBC SGUnited Traineeship jobs to share?

Any thoughts on OCBC SGUnited Traineeship jobs to share? Program structure, culture, pay etc...

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2020, 11:01 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I am employed in the public sector with some years of non-transferable experience as a paper pusher.

Is it a good idea to join one of these traineeships for retraining? Willing to take the pay cut as "course fees" if they would actually be useful in transitioning into a new industry.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2020, 12:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am employed in the public sector with some years of non-transferable experience as a paper pusher.

Is it a good idea to join one of these traineeships for retraining? Willing to take the pay cut as "course fees" if they would actually be useful in transitioning into a new industry.
The traineeships are restricted only to graduates within the 19/20 cohort.

In any case, the pathetic allowance is only justifiable if you go through a traineeship that equips you with hard skills. (I.e. VBA, R, SQL, Stata, Matlab)

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2020, 01:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The traineeships are restricted only to graduates within the 19/20 cohort.

In any case, the pathetic allowance is only justifiable if you go through a traineeship that equips you with hard skills. (I.e. VBA, R, SQL, Stata, Matlab)
Agree. OCBC also unlikely to convert trainees to full time. For me i also think not justifiable unless you are jobless and have no other option
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2020, 02:46 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 28
goespro.tocall is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Agree. OCBC also unlikely to convert trainees to full time. For me i also think not justifiable unless you are jobless and have no other option
Could you share why you said "unlikely to convert"?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2020, 08:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

if you have other offers, please consider them. OCBC isn't a company that you will want to associate with
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2020, 09:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
if you have other offers, please consider them. OCBC isn't a company that you will want to associate with
Please elaborate. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2020, 09:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goespro.tocall View Post
Could you share why you said "unlikely to convert"?
OCBC takes graduates every year through the graduate talent programme (GTP). These are ppl who pass many interview stages and considered cream of crop type.

So when they have to hire ppl one year from now, they will much prefer cream of crop fresh grads from next years graduating batch instead of converting the 3000 trainees that they took in thanks to heavy gahmen funding for 1 year only.

Bottom line is: Once no more gahmen funding they will let u go.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2020, 09:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
OCBC takes graduates every year through the graduate talent programme (GTP). These are ppl who pass many interview stages and considered cream of crop type.

So when they have to hire ppl one year from now, they will much prefer cream of crop fresh grads from next years graduating batch instead of converting the 3000 trainees that they took in thanks to heavy gahmen funding for 1 year only.

Bottom line is: Once no more gahmen funding they will let u go.
agreed. the govt funding is 50% of salary and no CPF contribution requirement. can you imagine the amount of cost incurred to convert to full time, including CPF contributions?
trainee: ~2.5k (OCBC pays 1.25k only)
full time: ~3.8k (OCBC pays 4.44k with CPF)
THAT IS 3X THE COST!!

don't forget, they also hired for the GTP. so traineeship is EXTRA hires. they have already fulfilled their talent quota. trainees are like interns, used for short term only.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 24-07-2020, 05:29 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 28
goespro.tocall is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
agreed. the govt funding is 50% of salary and no CPF contribution requirement. can you imagine the amount of cost incurred to convert to full time, including CPF contributions?
trainee: ~2.5k (OCBC pays 1.25k only)
full time: ~3.8k (OCBC pays 4.44k with CPF)
THAT IS 3X THE COST!!

don't forget, they also hired for the GTP. so traineeship is EXTRA hires. they have already fulfilled their talent quota. trainees are like interns, used for short term only.
Wow looks like that route is quite no hope then.

Any good ways for engine background to enter banking sector mid-career?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
#SGUnited Retail Banking Jobs grado Marketplace and Find Work 1 29-04-2020 02:25 PM
#SGUnited Trade Support Jobs grado Marketplace and Find Work 0 24-04-2020 11:32 AM
#SGUnited Settlements Jobs grado Marketplace and Find Work 0 24-04-2020 11:24 AM
#SGUnited High Net Worth Jobs grado Marketplace and Find Work 0 24-04-2020 11:17 AM
#SGUnited Derivatives Jobs grado Marketplace and Find Work 0 24-04-2020 11:11 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,590 Replies, 1,266,481 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,058 Replies, 2,515,815 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
63 Replies, 34,353 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,629 Replies, 4,579,284 Views
HDB (under MND) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
456 Replies, 368,843 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,547 Replies, 7,327,263 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,728 Replies, 1,403,655 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,657 Replies, 4,343,599 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,514 Replies, 728,610 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
327 Replies, 451,754 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,997 Replies, 2,490,068 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,909 Replies, 1,740,146 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
112 Replies, 56,570 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
470 Replies, 270,503 Views
Banks' Pay and Bonuses ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
350 Replies, 150,902 Views
Comp Science Frsh Grad Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
615 Replies, 95,489 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,844 Replies, 605,637 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,330 Replies, 568,381 Views
Breaking the Letter Of Commitment... ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 25,871 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
865 Replies, 218,172 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,020 Replies, 736,188 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
298 Replies, 99,014 Views
Perm to contract, increase > 2k... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 3,850 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,266 Replies, 639,398 Views
Unilever UFLP 2018 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 23,728 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 69,732 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,093 Replies, 1,309,537 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
229 Replies, 106,614 Views
Band 4 and Band 5 in Standard... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 32,971 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
434 Replies, 272,055 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2