Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Any thoughts on OCBC SGUnited Traineeship jobs to share? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12905-any-thoughts-oversea-chinese-banking-corporation-sgunited-traineeship-jobs-share.html)

goespro.tocall 22-07-2020 10:25 AM

Any thoughts on OCBC SGUnited Traineeship jobs to share?

Any thoughts on OCBC SGUnited Traineeship jobs to share? Program structure, culture, pay etc...

Unregistered 22-07-2020 11:01 AM

I am employed in the public sector with some years of non-transferable experience as a paper pusher.

Is it a good idea to join one of these traineeships for retraining? Willing to take the pay cut as "course fees" if they would actually be useful in transitioning into a new industry.

Unregistered 22-07-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142350)
I am employed in the public sector with some years of non-transferable experience as a paper pusher.

Is it a good idea to join one of these traineeships for retraining? Willing to take the pay cut as "course fees" if they would actually be useful in transitioning into a new industry.

The traineeships are restricted only to graduates within the ‘19/20 cohort.

In any case, the pathetic allowance is only justifiable if you go through a traineeship that equips you with hard skills. (I.e. VBA, R, SQL, Stata, Matlab)

Unregistered 22-07-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142354)
The traineeships are restricted only to graduates within the ‘19/20 cohort.

In any case, the pathetic allowance is only justifiable if you go through a traineeship that equips you with hard skills. (I.e. VBA, R, SQL, Stata, Matlab)

Agree. OCBC also unlikely to convert trainees to full time. For me i also think not justifiable unless you are jobless and have no other option

goespro.tocall 22-07-2020 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142358)
Agree. OCBC also unlikely to convert trainees to full time. For me i also think not justifiable unless you are jobless and have no other option

Could you share why you said "unlikely to convert"?

Unregistered 22-07-2020 08:35 PM

if you have other offers, please consider them. OCBC isn't a company that you will want to associate with

Unregistered 22-07-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142398)
if you have other offers, please consider them. OCBC isn't a company that you will want to associate with

Please elaborate. Thanks!

Unregistered 22-07-2020 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goespro.tocall (Post 142361)
Could you share why you said "unlikely to convert"?

OCBC takes graduates every year through the graduate talent programme (GTP). These are ppl who pass many interview stages and considered cream of crop type.

So when they have to hire ppl one year from now, they will much prefer cream of crop fresh grads from next years graduating batch instead of converting the 3000 trainees that they took in thanks to heavy gahmen funding for 1 year only.

Bottom line is: Once no more gahmen funding they will let u go.

Unregistered 23-07-2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142409)
OCBC takes graduates every year through the graduate talent programme (GTP). These are ppl who pass many interview stages and considered cream of crop type.

So when they have to hire ppl one year from now, they will much prefer cream of crop fresh grads from next years graduating batch instead of converting the 3000 trainees that they took in thanks to heavy gahmen funding for 1 year only.

Bottom line is: Once no more gahmen funding they will let u go.

agreed. the govt funding is 50% of salary and no CPF contribution requirement. can you imagine the amount of cost incurred to convert to full time, including CPF contributions?
trainee: ~2.5k (OCBC pays 1.25k only)
full time: ~3.8k (OCBC pays 4.44k with CPF)
THAT IS 3X THE COST!!

don't forget, they also hired for the GTP. so traineeship is EXTRA hires. they have already fulfilled their talent quota. trainees are like interns, used for short term only.

goespro.tocall 24-07-2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142501)
agreed. the govt funding is 50% of salary and no CPF contribution requirement. can you imagine the amount of cost incurred to convert to full time, including CPF contributions?
trainee: ~2.5k (OCBC pays 1.25k only)
full time: ~3.8k (OCBC pays 4.44k with CPF)
THAT IS 3X THE COST!!

don't forget, they also hired for the GTP. so traineeship is EXTRA hires. they have already fulfilled their talent quota. trainees are like interns, used for short term only.

Wow looks like that route is quite no hope then.

Any good ways for engine background to enter banking sector mid-career?