Anyone applied to MTI before as mid-career? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Anyone applied to MTI before as mid-career?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 20-07-2020, 12:32 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 5
Seantanyew is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone applied to MTI before as mid-career?

Recently graduated with masters of econs from local uni and have been trying to applying MTI AD roles (entry level i presume) as a mid career switch as my interest lies in international trade and economic development. Applied to 4 of the AD roles but were rejected fairly quickly (status shown as unsuccessful) in a couple of days.

Does anyone have the same experience? I emailed the HR to ask if there is anything i can improve on my resume before applying again but there is no reply.

P.S I have around 4 years of health science exp so far so pay wise i am not asking for a lot as well

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 20-07-2020, 03:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seantanyew View Post
Recently graduated with masters of econs from local uni and have been trying to applying MTI AD roles (entry level i presume) as a mid career switch as my interest lies in international trade and economic development. Applied to 4 of the AD roles but were rejected fairly quickly (status shown as unsuccessful) in a couple of days.

Does anyone have the same experience? I emailed the HR to ask if there is anything i can improve on my resume before applying again but there is no reply.

P.S I have around 4 years of health science exp so far so pay wise i am not asking for a lot as well
get a degree from uk

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 20-07-2020, 03:10 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 28
goespro.tocall is on a distinguished road
Default

Erm, AD as in Administrative or Assistant Director?

Why switch from health science to econs, and what pay are you expecting?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 20-07-2020, 03:30 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 5
Seantanyew is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goespro.tocall View Post
Erm, AD as in Administrative or Assistant Director?

Why switch from health science to econs, and what pay are you expecting?
Assistant director. basic around 4.2 and above?

Its just a interest of mine to study economics (one that i got when i started working) and hence i enrolled in the masters programme and now i hope to apply what i had learnt.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 20-07-2020, 08:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Which undergrad did you go to? That's important
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 20-07-2020, 10:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Which undergrad did you go to? That's important
Let me guess. He graduated with a private uni degree then took a masters at local uni to try and make up for it. No surprise MTI reject this kind of lacklustre candidate.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 20-07-2020, 11:18 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 5
Seantanyew is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Let me guess. He graduated with a private uni degree then took a masters at local uni to try and make up for it. No surprise MTI reject this kind of lacklustre candidate.
NUS engineeering with NUS masters
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 20-07-2020, 11:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Let me guess. He graduated with a private uni degree then took a masters at local uni to try and make up for it. No surprise MTI reject this kind of lacklustre candidate.
Hey why the salt?

Hahaha frankly there are tons of public service officers hailing from private unis and have successfully rebranded themselves with a proper MSc/MA.

óó

Anyway to the OP, MTIís Economist Service is really the cream of the crop and Iíd say itís slightly above the FSO sheen at MFA in terms of competitiveness. So do not be disheartened if you didnít make the cut.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 22-07-2020, 11:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey why the salt?

Hahaha frankly there are tons of public service officers hailing from private unis and have successfully rebranded themselves with a proper MSc/MA.

óó

Anyway to the OP, MTIís Economist Service is really the cream of the crop and Iíd say itís slightly above the FSO sheen at MFA in terms of competitiveness. So do not be disheartened if you didnít make the cut.
What makes you say Economist Service is above FSO? I thought FSO is the pinnacle in civil service
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2020, 12:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey why the salt?

Hahaha frankly there are tons of public service officers hailing from private unis and have successfully rebranded themselves with a proper MSc/MA.

óó

Anyway to the OP, MTIís Economist Service is really the cream of the crop and Iíd say itís slightly above the FSO sheen at MFA in terms of competitiveness. So do not be disheartened if you didnít make the cut.
Are you aware that Economists under the economist scheme do not hold AD titles? Their title is Economist (am sure you havnt worked in the public sector - because if you have, you would know simply by checking the public service Skype). Iím pretty sure OP is talking about the normal AD positions i.e. MXO.

Second, your claim that the Economist scheme is more competitive to get into than the FSO scheme is misleading and erroneous. It pays slightly less and is much less prestigious.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Applied Materials binoxydil Income and Jobs 0 02-06-2020 05:57 PM
anyone applied as Writer with SPH before? Chuan-Jin Income and Jobs 0 19-07-2014 06:07 PM
Bachelor in Science/ Applied Science daniu82 Income and Jobs 1 29-10-2012 09:19 AM
NUS - Masters in Applied Economics rampa001 Education and Personal Growth 0 28-09-2012 09:53 PM
Msc Applied Finance from SMU chanceux Education and Personal Growth 10 12-06-2012 12:25 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
155 Replies, 35,666 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,628 Replies, 1,344,199 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 34,547 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,607 Replies, 3,078,271 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
872 Replies, 259,539 Views
Employment agency taking me to...
2 Replies, 72 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
117 Replies, 46,086 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 3,117 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,878 Replies, 1,755,988 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,720 Replies, 1,133,217 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 4,165 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
336 Replies, 114,481 Views
MasterCard Graduate Developement... ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 4,862 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,407 Replies, 2,011,182 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,004 Replies, 1,145,514 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021
5 Replies, 280 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,714 Replies, 5,921,511 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,157 Replies, 1,334,063 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,462 Replies, 980,540 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
117 Replies, 43,425 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
475 Replies, 102,247 Views
Equity Research jobs
3 Replies, 337 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,022 Replies, 815,187 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
351 Replies, 280,678 Views
E-Reading apps for kids
2 Replies, 1,694 Views
PCB design course
3 Replies, 208 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
458 Replies, 317,475 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2