Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone applied to MTI before as mid-career? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12898-anyone-applied-ministry-trade-industry-before-mid-career.html)

Seantanyew 20-07-2020 12:32 PM

Anyone applied to MTI before as mid-career?

Recently graduated with masters of econs from local uni and have been trying to applying MTI AD roles (entry level i presume) as a mid career switch as my interest lies in international trade and economic development. Applied to 4 of the AD roles but were rejected fairly quickly (status shown as unsuccessful) in a couple of days.

Does anyone have the same experience? I emailed the HR to ask if there is anything i can improve on my resume before applying again but there is no reply.

P.S I have around 4 years of health science exp so far so pay wise i am not asking for a lot as well

Unregistered 20-07-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seantanyew (Post 142130)
Recently graduated with masters of econs from local uni and have been trying to applying MTI AD roles (entry level i presume) as a mid career switch as my interest lies in international trade and economic development. Applied to 4 of the AD roles but were rejected fairly quickly (status shown as unsuccessful) in a couple of days.

Does anyone have the same experience? I emailed the HR to ask if there is anything i can improve on my resume before applying again but there is no reply.

P.S I have around 4 years of health science exp so far so pay wise i am not asking for a lot as well

get a degree from uk

goespro.tocall 20-07-2020 03:10 PM

Erm, AD as in Administrative or Assistant Director?

Why switch from health science to econs, and what pay are you expecting?

Seantanyew 20-07-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goespro.tocall (Post 142150)
Erm, AD as in Administrative or Assistant Director?

Why switch from health science to econs, and what pay are you expecting?

Assistant director. basic around 4.2 and above?

Its just a interest of mine to study economics (one that i got when i started working) and hence i enrolled in the masters programme and now i hope to apply what i had learnt.

Unregistered 20-07-2020 08:45 PM

Which undergrad did you go to? That's important

Unregistered 20-07-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142187)
Which undergrad did you go to? That's important

Let me guess. He graduated with a private uni degree then took a masters at local uni to try and make up for it. No surprise MTI reject this kind of lacklustre candidate.

Seantanyew 20-07-2020 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142200)
Let me guess. He graduated with a private uni degree then took a masters at local uni to try and make up for it. No surprise MTI reject this kind of lacklustre candidate.

NUS engineeering with NUS masters

Unregistered 20-07-2020 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142200)

Hey why the salt?

Hahaha frankly there are tons of public service officers hailing from private unis and have successfully rebranded themselves with a proper MSc/MA.

——

Anyway to the OP, MTI’s Economist Service is really the cream of the crop and I’d say it’s slightly above the FSO sheen at MFA in terms of competitiveness. So do not be disheartened if you didn’t make the cut.

Unregistered 22-07-2020 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142212)
Hey why the salt?

Hahaha frankly there are tons of public service officers hailing from private unis and have successfully rebranded themselves with a proper MSc/MA.

——

Anyway to the OP, MTI’s Economist Service is really the cream of the crop and I’d say it’s slightly above the FSO sheen at MFA in terms of competitiveness. So do not be disheartened if you didn’t make the cut.

What makes you say Economist Service is above FSO? I thought FSO is the pinnacle in civil service

Unregistered 23-07-2020 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142212)
Hey why the salt?

——

Are you aware that Economists under the economist scheme do not hold AD titles? Their title is Economist (am sure you havnt worked in the public sector - because if you have, you would know simply by checking the public service Skype). I’m pretty sure OP is talking about the normal AD positions i.e. MXO.

Second, your claim that the Economist scheme is more competitive to get into than the FSO scheme is misleading and erroneous. It pays slightly less and is much less prestigious.