Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Cybersecurity/Info security career (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12897-cybersecurity-info-security-career.html)

Unregistered 19-03-2021 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 159763)
Hello, reviving this thread. I’m a fresh grad and have 2 offers on the table. One is an associate role for cybersecurity in big 4 and another is a cybersecurity graduate role for a hedge fund. Which one would be the better option for a fresh grad? I know big 4 is the more stable option but would a cybersecurity career in a hedge fund be the same also due to the nature of the cybersecurity Industry

take the one with the higher pay... i feel big4 out of touch with cyber market salary.

Unregistered 06-04-2021 09:52 PM

Is Deloitte risk advisory a good start? I am currently deciding between Deloitte and a SME international cyber crime/sec company

Unregistered 06-04-2021 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164319)
Is Deloitte risk advisory a good start? I am currently deciding between Deloitte and a SME international cyber crime/sec company

join big4 like kpmg

Unregistered 06-04-2021 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164319)

No.. Big 4 is well known for severely underpaying fresh grads and cyber risk advisory is just a very small subset of the entire market. You'll most likely be stuck in the cyber compliance / advisory space..

Their cybersec capabilities are quite limited as well.

Unregistered 07-04-2021 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164320)
join big4 like kpmg

Tot all the big 4 are doing the similar stuff?

Unregistered 07-04-2021 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164331)
No.. Big 4 is well known for severely underpaying fresh grads and cyber risk advisory is just a very small subset of the entire market. You'll most likely be stuck in the cyber compliance / advisory space..

Their cybersec capabilities are quite limited as well.

Hmmm I should go SME first? Feel not many choices if you wanna do cyber sec, and quite hard to find an entry role as well

Unregistered 08-04-2021 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 164584)
Hmmm I should go SME first? Feel not many choices if you wanna do cyber sec, and quite hard to find an entry role as well

Get entry cybersec certifications like CEH and OSCP first. This will give you a chance to go for interview at some Security Consulting firms!

If not, you can try exploring Security Consulting role at NCS. They tend to train up people to become cybersecurity consultants. But... working hours are quite horrible

Unregistered 24-04-2021 12:13 AM

Should I rescind my big 4 offer :(

Fresh grad here... accepted an offer from a Big 4 firm to do cyber consulting but received an offer today as a SOC security analyst from a cybersecurity company. Exit opportunities in the big 4 are good but will my exit opportunities be equally great if I took on the SOC security analyst role?

Background context:
had 2 years of SOC experience in NS
have a degree in cybersec from local u

Really don't know what to do hence asking for advice haha. appreciate any advice given!

Unregistered 24-04-2021 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166378)
Fresh grad here... accepted an offer from a Big 4 firm to do cyber consulting but received an offer today as a SOC security analyst from a cybersecurity company. Exit opportunities in the big 4 are good but will my exit opportunities be equally great if I took on the SOC security analyst role?

Background context:

Really don't know what to do hence asking for advice haha. appreciate any advice given!

Which path do you want to specialize in? Or what is your aspiration / long term goal? I’m sure the compensation as a SOC analyst is higher.

Unregistered 24-04-2021 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 166378)

Background context:

depends on what is the job scope of cyber consulting. For a niche scope such as penetration testing if you do not have any certificates, you will not be doing much in a big4. basically they need people to perform mundane tasks but whether you learn the stuff depends on how you spend time after work to obtain it.