Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Cybersecurity/Info security career (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12897-cybersecurity-info-security-career.html)

Unregistered 20-12-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194336)
Private toilet paper u go join grab food la. Worthless cert

actually grab do have many private uni ppl

Unregistered 20-12-2021 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194259)
Is it true that technical roles in cybersecurity don't pay well? I am graduating from a private u and prefer a technical role rather than a management one. Have been talking to a few friends in the industry and most suggest me to go for software engineering if I can code. I have a friend in local U drawing mid 3k as a cybersecurity engineer while I manage to get a 3.7k offer as a software engineer in a local SI.

I want to get into cybersecurity but I feel 'wasted' if I can get a higher paying job as a software engineer... Any advice?

SDE > Cybersecurity
in pay generally, if really want to do SDE, dont go SI, shitty non-progressive advancement. Unless go in there farm some exp to pump portfolio and jump rapidly.

Cybersecurity ENGINEER specifically dont make as much as you're bottom feeder, if want money then go analyst or sales route if you dont prefer a mgmt role.

Unregistered 21-12-2021 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194357)
SDE > Cybersecurity
in pay generally, if really want to do SDE, dont go SI, shitty non-progressive advancement. Unless go in there farm some exp to pump portfolio and jump rapidly.

Cybersecurity ENGINEER specifically dont make as much as you're bottom feeder, if want money then go analyst or sales route if you dont prefer a mgmt role.

Not really wor, sde got too much foreign talent. You think you can beat Indian or China developer? Not only they are good and cheap, they willing to work long hours.

Cybersecurity if cannot find job just work govt alot of job can only be done by singaporean.

Unregistered 21-12-2021 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194357)
SDE > Cybersecurity

Not really wor, sde got too much foreign talent. You think you can beat Indian or China developer? Not only they are good and cheap, they willing to work long hours.

Cybersecurity if cannot find job just work govt alot of job can only be done by singaporean.

Unregistered 21-12-2021 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194399)

Assuming your competency is around same level for cybersec and sde, SDE 100% pays better despite FT competition. And also now FT having more trouble getting pass to work in SG, even more opportunities for locals? Indian developer not necessarily cheap btw.

Govt job not easy get in if private degree. Unless you go those 2/3rd tier agency.

Unregistered 21-12-2021 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194424)
Assuming your competency is around same level for cybersec and sde, SDE 100% pays better despite FT competition. And also now FT having more trouble getting pass to work in SG, even more opportunities for locals? Indian developer not necessarily cheap btw.

Govt job not easy get in if private degree. Unless you go those 2/3rd tier agency.

I think it depend on what level of role. If you are talking about freshgrad entry level job, you might be able to hire a FT who have 2-3 year of working/coding exp than a local fresh grad as they salary in their country is few time lower and they eager to work aboard.

If you are talking about a more senior role, in cyber, people will normally hire you base on your industry certification and exp than looking at your uni even for govt. The only thing is your progression might be shitty compare to scholar

Unregistered 21-12-2021 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194427)
I think it depend on what level of role. If you are talking about freshgrad entry level job, you might be able to hire a FT who have 2-3 year of working/coding exp than a local fresh grad as they salary in their country is few time lower and they eager to work aboard.

If you are talking about a more senior role, in cyber, people will normally hire you base on your industry certification and exp than looking at your uni even for govt. The only thing is your progression might be shitty compare to scholar

If its SI like initial OP stated, the local status will help to secure govt contract, which actually improve your sellability over FT. And most comments on indian FT willing to take lower pay in SG are jlb, the really can make it ones will be going towards SV?

Even with exp and certification, 300% sure harder to get in CSIT/DSTA with private degree. And with cert and exp, i think if you from non-govt sector, unlikely to go govt with less than stellar pay increment or benefits. Especially when they offer you 1st year as contract usually.

Unregistered 21-12-2021 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194451)
If its SI like initial OP stated, the local status will help to secure govt contract, which actually improve your sellability over FT. And most comments on indian FT willing to take lower pay in SG are jlb, the really can make it ones will be going towards SV?

Even with exp and certification, 300% sure harder to get in CSIT/DSTA with private degree. And with cert and exp, i think if you from non-govt sector, unlikely to go govt with less than stellar pay increment or benefits. Especially when they offer you 1st year as contract usually.

So many director and manager in CSIT DSTA have micky mouse degree like murdoch.

dont think that is true that you need local degree to get into gov

Unregistered 21-12-2021 04:08 PM

s://reprints2.forrester.com/#/assets/2/2247/RES176534/report

Unregistered 21-12-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 194451)

is not about jlb. It more about if your software development team boss is a FT or the hiring HR is a FT, most likely all the other new hire will be from the same country.

I dun think is harder to get in if you have the right certification. However, for the pay part is true, if i have the demanding cert, i wun go to govt. FI will be a better choices.