Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   What kind of job can I switch to from app developer role? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12889-what-kind-job-can-i-switch-app-developer-role.html)

zero_88 17-07-2020 07:58 AM

What kind of job can I switch to from app developer role?

I am very tired of my current app developer job
I am currently an app developer

everyday have to answer how system work, everyday gt new thing happening. My work environment is fastpaced, dynamic

I just want to do the same thing and have a predictable workplace for 5 years. I master something for first year, then spend the next 4 years do the same thing that I am trained for.

Weekend have also standby duty. Current job: $4.4k.

I do not want to make technical decision anymore, I am only good in follow instruction.

The pace here is good damn fast, whatapps, email, slack channel. constantly will have people tag me and I have to catch up, keep up etc etc

I keep making wrong decision, cos my ability not there, and I really catch no ball of what technical thing they are doing, most of the time I agar agar only. I dun want to screw this project.

I want to leave this project gracefully, before they realise I actually just enduring and I feel I will get throw to more sai in 2021

Looking for non technical job, I don't want to touch programming anymore

- No weekend duty, more family time
- At least $4k
- follow instruction, I don't ask question
- No programming

Unregistered 17-07-2020 08:20 AM

Go to Accenture consulting. Or go back ST Eng.

Unregistered 17-07-2020 01:28 PM

Can convert to software tester or cyber security tester

Since you are a developer, I think you should be good enough to review other people soft code or break other people software.

Anyway, cyber security is like hit cake now and high pay.

Unregistered 17-07-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141931)
Can convert to software tester or cyber security tester

Since you are a developer, I think you should be good enough to review other people soft code or break other people software.

Anyway, cyber security is like hit cake now and high pay.

software tester now is no longer the same as what it used to be. u need to know how frontend works in order to write automation script (java, javascript, python), u need to know how backend work to test them (api, rest, soap, postman, restassured, newman) , u need to know how DB work to validate them (sql, pandas), u need to know how to chain them up as CI pipeline (maven, npm, jenkins).
unless u want to do pure manual, then go ahead, u won't have much choice in coming year as no tester doing pure manual now adays.

zero_88 17-07-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141932)
software tester now is no longer the same as what it used to be. u need to know how frontend works in order to write automation script (java, javascript, python), u need to know how backend work to test them (api, rest, soap, postman, restassured, newman) , u need to know how DB work to validate them (sql, pandas), u need to know how to chain them up as CI pipeline (maven, npm, jenkins).
unless u want to do pure manual, then go ahead, u won't have much choice in coming year as no tester doing pure manual now adays.

Software tester also gt programming one (trust me I know), can I switch to a total different field like social care or do some administrative work? like work in a elderly home or something

zero_88 17-07-2020 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 141916)
Go to Accenture consulting. Or go back ST Eng.

I really cannot be a consultant, I not good in attending meeting and understand all the technical term

Unregistered 18-07-2020 01:08 AM

How did you end up in app development in that case?

Unregistered 18-07-2020 02:18 PM

oh **** man , i thought i'm the only one, we are on the same boat. i've been in IT for almost 10 years now and everyday i DON"T KNOW what I'M DOING.
everything i just ASSUME and hope it is right, when it has been wrong too many times, i will switch job and that's how i survive for 10 years and stress all day.

but rest assured, i belive many others out there..

zero_88 18-07-2020 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142011)
oh **** man , i thought i'm the only one, we are on the same boat. i've been in IT for almost 10 years now and everyday i DON"T KNOW what I'M DOING.
everything i just ASSUME and hope it is right, when it has been wrong too many times, i will switch job and that's how i survive for 10 years and stress all day.

but rest assured, i belive many others out there..

10 years?? sure bo?

Unregistered 18-07-2020 05:21 PM

Sadly, app developer is the modern age blue factory worker.
That's why a lot of technologist. Want to start their website or startup. Then sell off become millionaire