Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

DBS tech seed programme

Old 12-06-2021, 02:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Engineering grads are intellectually inferior compared to CS grads. You really want them to tarnish the elite status of CS community?

Just a reminder, CS needs AAA/A to enter while Engineering needs CCC/C.
You're the exactly the kind of elitist that everybody hates, I probably assumed you're have done well in your A levels but I'm gonna be honest with you. Good grades doesn't automatically you can work well. Sure you are intellectually capable in exam but from your comment that is pretty much all you offer.

I have worked with FCH people and some of the just cmi, so your grades stop mattering once you start work. It's a different ball game where you can't just "study" your way through.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 12-06-2021, 09:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You're the exactly the kind of elitist that everybody hates, I probably assumed you're have done well in your A levels but I'm gonna be honest with you. Good grades doesn't automatically you can work well. Sure you are intellectually capable in exam but from your comment that is pretty much all you offer.

I have worked with FCH people and some of the just cmi, so your grades stop mattering once you start work. It's a different ball game where you can't just "study" your way through.
nobody said anything about elitism, dont be so sensitive

Old 12-06-2021, 10:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
nobody said anything about elitism, dont be so sensitive
Yup. CS ppl mostly can’t work.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 13-06-2021, 11:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Fully agree with what you said! In fact the government should regulate and ban non CS majors from entering CS fields, and prosecute those who circumvent these rules, just like how the law, medicine and dentistry industries are protected. I'm sure you don't want a stupid EE major with pathetic A level results performing a heart bypass surgery on you isn't it?

This is the only way to protect the prestige and the high level of technical skills needed to do well in the industry. So what if EE majors can pass tech interviews? Everyone know they are inferior in IQ deep down and this will adversely affect the company long term. Stop the rot early!
Why are you agreeing with your own comment?
Old 13-06-2021, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Keep stroking your own ego to sooth your wounded pride by saying it is more rigorous and harder. No point doing a more rigorous course if you are not even going to be well rewarded in terms of compensation and benefits, especially if you are deemed as a cost centre instead of a profit centre. Look at the prestige of the companies accepting EE grads in the EE industry and compare to the big tech firms, and that is if the EE grad was not already scared off by the content of their course to continue doing EE in their career. Face it. EE will never win CS in either prestige or salary and privileges. If big tech was not a thing, programming modules in EE would be dreaded by the cohort, especially if the EE grad is not aiming to do anything that would involve programming in the job scope, such as power.

Indeed, CS alumni should be helping to watch out for themselves and their juniors. Bootcamps and "a few modules" does not produce the standard of a CS grad, much less even a Year One one. More should be done to maintain the standards and proficiency required for tech jobs so as to prevent pretenders from sneaking into and masquerading as able to do tech jobs.

Yeah tell that to the steve wozniaks of the world. Stop embarassing yourself.
Old 14-06-2021, 08:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Fully agree with what you said! In fact the government should regulate and ban non CS majors from entering CS fields, and prosecute those who circumvent these rules, just like how the law, medicine and dentistry industries are protected. I'm sure you don't want a stupid EE major with pathetic A level results screwing up mission critical digital infrastructure isn't it?

This is the only way to protect the prestige and the high level of technical skills needed to do well in the industry. So what if EE majors can pass tech interviews? Everyone know they are inferior in IQ deep down and this will adversely affect the company long term. Stop the rot early!
Well, your example about doing heart bypass would apply to everyone not in Medicine, so I changed it to a more appropriate example where an incompetent EE grad messes up something that cannot be messed up.

Other than that, I agree. The rot needs to be stopped soon lest the IT competitiveness of this country is severly reduced and affected by non-CS grads doing CS stuff, especially electrical engineering grads.

Old 14-06-2021, 11:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Well, your example about doing heart bypass would apply to everyone not in Medicine, so I changed it to a more appropriate example where an incompetent EE grad messes up something that cannot be messed up.

Other than that, I agree. The rot needs to be stopped soon lest the IT competitiveness of this country is severly reduced and affected by non-CS grads doing CS stuff, especially electrical engineering grads.
I'm a non CS, EEE major working in Govtech as a SWE (quite a number, see if you can spot me on LinkedIn), however after reading what you say, I feel so guilty about the possibility of screwing critical infrastructure. Should I tender my registration and go back to replacing light bulbs?
Old 15-06-2021, 05:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm a non CS, EEE major working in Govtech as a SWE (quite a number, see if you can spot me on LinkedIn), however after reading what you say, I feel so guilty about the possibility of screwing critical infrastructure. Should I tender my registration and go back to replacing light bulbs?
Personally I know EEE grads in Govtech as well. The fact is if the government who's known to be very closed-minded and elitist is hiring non-CS grads to become SWE, it does show how little degree matters.
Old 16-06-2021, 12:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Change lightbulb I'd ask an ITE grad. Prove your course's worth by making a local version of TSMC so we need not rely on others to make high-end chips and perhaps help reduce the effects of cryptominers taking GPUs to mine funbux instead of running games. Glofo does not count as it is a dud when it comes to smaller nodes and they don't even make the smaller nodes here.
Old 16-06-2021, 12:49 AM
Unregistered

I am the Third Class Honours EE OP of post #689. At least, I thought I was going to be Third Class Honours before the release of results earlier this month. I have just made it into Second Lower Honours with my final year project and elective modules.

Honours classification aside, I decided to just accept it considering the situation for finding jobs and how other applications would likely turn out. And also to attend an introduction session. I heard an overview of what the bank plans to do over the next few years, got to know seniors of, and ask what I could be doing in the group I am assigned to. Was hoping to do something that was more EE related as a first career. Guess I'll be part of the significant minority of EE grads that don't go into an EE career after graduation.

See you at the start of July.