Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

DBS tech seed programme

Old 08-06-2021, 09:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ended up getting more salary than you
I studied during studying week only which is 1 week. Rest of sem all never study
I still grad with 1st class honours from NUS. You lousy la lol. I started with 5k salary in tech. Can win me boh?

Old 08-06-2021, 10:49 AM
Unregistered

LOL. The reaction of CS students that some third class honours engineering student is joining them in the next batch of DBS SEED MA is priceless. Granted, SEED is not the top tier tech career but I'm sure it emphasize anyone can pass a tech interview without a CS degree.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Old 08-06-2021, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
LOL. The reaction of CS students that some third class honours engineering student is joining them in the next batch of DBS SEED MA is priceless. Granted, SEED is not the top tier tech career but I'm sure it emphasize anyone can pass a tech interview without a CS degree.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Yup. Imagine bragging about grades on an anonymous career forum.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
You're from EEE. Even if you managed to sneak through DBS Tech Seed, your colleagues will look down at you and if I'm your manager, I'll find ways to make sure you resign.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 10-06-2021, 09:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
You're from EEE. Even if you managed to sneak through DBS Tech Seed, your colleagues will look down at you and if I'm your manager, I'll find ways to make sure you resign.
Having done a bachelor in EEE and a masters in CS, I can say that EEE is much harder.. whoever is ‘looking down’ on on EEE is clearly confused lol
Old 10-06-2021, 01:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Got so much time to spread negativity to strangers on forums ah? Really think that subjects and grades matter that much when you're in a fresh-grad working environment?

Ever considered that sometimes non-CS majors (like EEE majors) spend the effort to learn programming in their spare time and then go way out of their comfort zone to apply for the jobs they think they'll learn from? I personally got **** grades in school but after completing a couple of software internships I learned way more about applying good code practices than I ever did in school.

Speaking as someone who carried a good part of my team through the hackathon, the skill quality I saw was not solely based on what they had majored in before. And the ones I saw the most potential in were the teammates who did their best to contribute to the team, laugh once in a while, and learn with an open mind from peers.

Based on how you're talking back to this guy, I'm assuming you've gotten your foot into the tech industry in a pretty high position, so you also know that a large part of what makes us LUCKY to be able to have any programming job is the joy that comes not just from creating good code but also teaching those around us. If you don't feel this way, I'm sorry but you're missing out on the BIGGEST pro of this occupation, which is the creative and social aspects of coding and systems analysis.

Especially in batch-hiring fresh grad positions, such as SEED, where the main skill that is focused on in the hiring process seems to be how we were willing to adapt and learn DURING the event itself. And to be able to do that, they expect a certain level of understanding of tech that they tell us earlier about - git and react/angular.

I see a lot of negativity in this thread about a fresh grad job and I just don't understand why. There is not one "ultimate" fresh grad job that all of us should be competing to get. There are tons of opportunities out there, if this suits your level then apply to this. If you're accepted, think about whether it's actually what you want. If you're rejected, bro it's not the end of the world and there are better jobs out there too.

And if you're a senior tech employee at another company just trying to **** talk some fresh grads on a salary forum, why? Don't you have other things to do other than drag random kids and young adults online?

What matters is we're trying to get a job where you can code and learn more every day. If you're a senior tech employee who somehow has the time to spend on this forum (I can't imagine how you got the time though), try to be a better version of yourself online yeah?

Old 10-06-2021, 01:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
having done a bachelor in eee and a masters in cs, i can say that eee is much harder.. Whoever is ‘looking down’ on on eee is clearly confused lol
ya sure....

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 10-06-2021, 11:29 PM
Unregistered

Why are fellow CS alumni not protecting other fellow CS colleagues? Do you all really want some one from a NON-CS majors to take the short cut by clearing some random coding modules online and then stealing our tech jobs? Time to protect our rice bowls pls.

I'm seeing more and more non CS graduates clearing tech interviews (maybe in less prestigious firms) and job hopping and soon they will overtake CS graduates. Be careful of these cancer.
Old 11-06-2021, 07:05 PM
Unregistered

Default Non-CS getting tech jobs hate train choo choo

Quote:
Why are fellow CS alumni not protecting other fellow CS colleagues? Do you all really want some one from a NON-CS majors to take the short cut by clearing some random coding modules online and then stealing our tech jobs? Time to protect our rice bowls pls.

I'm seeing more and more non CS graduates clearing tech interviews (maybe in less prestigious firms) and job hopping and soon they will overtake CS graduates. Be careful of these cancer.
Are there non-CS courses that are not taking shortcuts? I know of people doing engineering majors in both NUS and NTU that have some aspect of programming as foundational and cores. Sure, an awesome CS grad can come up with the most efficient algorithm for a given problem. Not like non-CS majors get to that depth, so don't worry about that part. Also, if they "take the short cut by clearing some random coding modules online", either the course is too easy, or there is a level they are at. But in the opinion of Professor Ben Leong, not like auch bootcamps lead to the level required of big tech.

I will throw in the reality that some renowned institutions have Electrical Engineering amd Computer Science together in the same department as EECS. MIT is one of them among others that have it that way. Looking down on someone just because they are not from Computer Science? Then do "better universities" than the autonomous universities in Singapore have it wrong by grouping Computer Science together with Electrical Engineering?

Ah whatever, there is a hate train here for Engineering grads applying for and getting tech roles. So much for Asian parents wanting their kids to be one of three professions. Or maybe there is still three, just that Engineer was replaced by Programmer/Coder/Computer Scientist/Software Engineer
Old 11-06-2021, 07:13 PM
Unregistered

Talking That sounds like a snobbish environment just because of not CS

Quote:
Not the EEE 3rd class honours OP, but if the colleages are like that just because I am not from Computer Science, and if you were my manager you don't even need to find ways to make me resign. I'll gladly tender my resignation just because any contribution whatsoever will be deemed as null in the eyes of the team, and I sure am not going to continue "dragging the team down".