Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   DBS tech seed programme (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12886-dbs-tech-seed-programme.html)

Unregistered 10-07-2022 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224980)
I'm shocked to find out that the recent batches of SEEDers come from non CS/IT majors. How can this be possible? Is the barrier to entry so low?

The truth is, you don't need a CS degree to be a SWE. Many of these students use tech seed as a stepping stone to other opportunities after 2 years.

Unregistered 10-07-2022 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224997)
The truth is, you don't need a CS degree to be a SWE. Many of these students use tech seed as a stepping stone to other opportunities after 2 years.

The truth is, this forum is full of retards who can't read and answer simple questions.

Q: Why SEED have so many people who are not CS or IT graduates from local unis?
A: Don't need CS Degree to be a SWE

Use your brain... what the fuk are you actually saying?

Unregistered 10-07-2022 10:56 PM

Quote:

I'm shocked to find out that the recent batches of SEEDers come from non CS/IT majors. How can this be possible? Is the barrier to entry so low?

.... because u dont need it? u dont need a degree in comp sci specifically to clear leetcode and SWE fundamentals.

nothing is stopping u from going on the grind on your own effort (eg. taking cs mods on ur own, online courses, self study etc.)

FFS, they dont even teach u the languages themselves in cs. you are expected to self learn. that doesnt mean the barrier to entry is low however, maybe for SEED la but certainly not for FAANG.

Unregistered 11-07-2022 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225004)
The truth is, this forum is full of retards who can't read and answer simple questions.

Q: Why SEED have so many people who are not CS or IT graduates from local unis?
A: Don't need CS Degree to be a SWE

Use your brain... what the fuk are you actually saying?

You sound like a retard.

The reply was pretty clear, you don't need a tech degree to be work in a tech role, that is why you see so many non tech degree holders in SEED.

Raymond 11-07-2022 08:17 AM

Quote:

I believe DBS SEED programme specifically allows this.

I checked their website and it says

Will i be considered if i do not have STEM Degree?
If you do not have a root degree in STEM, but have a minor/taken a few STEM modules, you are welcomed to apply.

https://www.dbs.com/careers/structur...seed-programme

So yeah, going by that, anyone in whatever field should be able to apply and get in as long as they have taken a few mods in programming or IT-related topics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224997)

No this isn't true at all.

Almost all junior tech roles at any reputable company worth joining requires a CS degree at minimum. It's written in their JD and is a requirement to even get an interview.

*reputable company* btw, if you want to join some F500 IT Consulting company then of course, they accept anyone... I'm talking about actual reputable tech companies like Microsoft, FAANG, Chinese tech like ByteDance, Shopee and other companies like ZenDesk, etc that have a history of paying tech roles well.

I've not seen any non-CS SEEDers who completed 2 years actually join any of these companies on LinkedIn using their premium search so I'm pretty confident in what I said but feel free to prove me wrong.

I'm quite sure that they complete their 2 years, convert to Associate perm and stay for a few years before going to bigger banks ( Standard Chart, JP Morgan, Goldman Sach, etc ) ... which makes sense because hopping from one bank to another bank is easier.

If you wanted to hop from bank to tech, why not just join Visa / Paypal / NCS Nucleus and many other tech grad programs in the first place? It's a lot easier + better pay anyway.

Also just an FYI, this "SEED" isn't exactly a "tech" programme even though that's what it says. I just checked with a few people I know in the program and they are learning banking stuffs for the most part, nothing about tech stacks or dev work. So be wary when you join...

Unregistered 11-07-2022 09:06 AM

Seeing how CS degree holders scrambling to defend their degree is amusing :)

Unregistered 11-07-2022 10:05 AM

LOLOLOL if u cs grad and u join SEED wondering why got non-cs, its cos its a trash program and only trash cs grads join such a program

enjoy your 0 bonus and 0 pay inc for 2 years lololol

Unregistered 11-07-2022 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225024)
Seeing how CS degree holders scrambling to defend their degree is amusing :)

As an accting degree holder I just laugh at the long post above

Dude, u know how many jhk go and take the Acca courses and just directly take over the accounting jobs from local student with a legit uni degree (from ntu/bud/smu)

Don’t be mad. Like accounting, swe is just another skill. Doesn’t mean the BTE . Ppl can be good(or really bad) just by training themselves and without going for a bachelor degree

Unregistered 11-07-2022 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225032)
As an accting degree holder I just laugh at the long post above

Dude, u know how many jhk go and take the Acca courses and just directly take over the accounting jobs from local student with a legit uni degree (from ntu/bud/smu)

Don’t be mad. Like accounting, swe is just another skill. Doesn’t mean the BTE . Ppl can be good(or really bad) just by training themselves and without going for a bachelor degree

Lololol delusional.

Bootcamp / non cs to cs roles only happens in the US

This is Singapore lmfao

Good luck. Accounting is a garbage field that any monkey can learn. Tech / cs on the other hand requires actual experience.

Unregistered 11-07-2022 12:32 PM

how tf u gonna compare accounting field to CS field wtf this forum sibei jialat no wonder always spread fud and ******** info, fking retards

go on, go join this SEED sheet and enjoy ur hardstuck 5k for 2 years lmfao fresh grad cs kids already outearning ur entire family