Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   DBS tech seed programme (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12886-dbs-tech-seed-programme.html)

Unregistered 11-06-2021 07:34 PM

Just there for the ride. Bumpy ride just because not from CS? I'll be happy to GTFO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 173252)
You're from EEE. Even if you managed to sneak through DBS Tech Seed, your colleagues will look down at you and if I'm your manager, I'll find ways to make sure you resign.

I am an EE grad who went for the May 7 TechTrek. Graduating with 2nd lower honours (perhaps not much better than 3rd class, aimed for 2nd upper but it is what it is), had a final year project with heavy emphasis on programming for client and server aspects. Part of the framework used in the project helped with creating the hackathon app, and making requests to and getting responses from the server for the project was of use during the hackathon. Not from CS, but I can say that I do have some programming know-how I can use. I will admit I will have trouble if Big-whatever notation is involved.

I am just there for the ride, and it is 1 year then review for progression to 2nd year, not even a two-year guarantee. If I do get a mentor/manager like that, I'll be glad to just drop it as quickly as possible if the mentor/manager is being this obstructive in what is a programme meant to help build Singapore's tech capability and capacity. Perhaps now with COVID there is less incentive to get overseas staff, hence why this batch has so many based in Singapore. I would like to raise the spectre of an Uptron ACL "grad" somehow managing to get a well-paying job.🤷

Unregistered 11-06-2021 08:55 PM

Engineering grads are intellectually inferior compared to CS grads. You really want them to tarnish the elite status of CS community?

Just a reminder, CS needs AAA/A to enter while Engineering needs CCC/C.

Unregistered 11-06-2021 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 173678)
Engineering grads are intellectually inferior compared to CS grads. You really want them to tarnish the elite status of CS community?

newsflash, no one actually cares in the workplace. u cs or eee if cannot do work also byebye

Unregistered 12-06-2021 01:23 AM

Quote:

How cute, thinking that anyone in the workplace would care about your A level scores .

Unregistered 12-06-2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 173347)
Having done a bachelor in EEE and a masters in CS, I can say that EEE is much harder.. whoever is ‘looking down’ on on EEE is clearly confused lol

Yeah completely agree, there are higher entry requirements for CS but its purely due to demand supply. In terms of the actual coursework, EE has more academic and interdisciplinary requirements than CS which makes the former much more academically rigorous and of course, harder than the latter.

Unregistered 12-06-2021 12:18 PM

Please face reality

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 173743)
Yeah completely agree, there are higher entry requirements for CS but its purely due to demand supply. In terms of the actual coursework, EE has more academic and interdisciplinary requirements than CS which makes the former much more academically rigorous and of course, harder than the latter.

Keep stroking your own ego to sooth your wounded pride by saying it is more rigorous and harder. No point doing a more rigorous course if you are not even going to be well rewarded in terms of compensation and benefits, especially if you are deemed as a cost centre instead of a profit centre. Look at the prestige of the companies accepting EE grads in the EE industry and compare to the big tech firms, and that is if the EE grad was not already scared off by the content of their course to continue doing EE in their career. Face it. EE will never win CS in either prestige or salary and privileges. If big tech was not a thing, programming modules in EE would be dreaded by the cohort, especially if the EE grad is not aiming to do anything that would involve programming in the job scope, such as power.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 173497)
Why are fellow CS alumni not protecting other fellow CS colleagues? Do you all really want some one from a NON-CS majors to take the short cut by clearing some random coding modules online and then stealing our tech jobs? Time to protect our rice bowls pls.

I'm seeing more and more non CS graduates clearing tech interviews (maybe in less prestigious firms) and job hopping and soon they will overtake CS graduates. Be careful of these cancer.

Indeed, CS alumni should be helping to watch out for themselves and their juniors. Bootcamps and "a few modules" does not produce the standard of a CS grad, much less even a Year One one. More should be done to maintain the standards and proficiency required for tech jobs so as to prevent pretenders from sneaking into and masquerading as able to do tech jobs.

Unregistered 12-06-2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 173252)
You're from EEE. Even if you managed to sneak through DBS Tech Seed, your colleagues will look down at you and if I'm your manager, I'll find ways to make sure you resign.

An FAQ answer on the DBS SEED page is "If you do not have a root degree in STEM, but have a minor/taken a few STEM modules, you are welcomed to apply." I take it you will be happier to work with an Arts major with a Minor in CS compared to an EEE grad.

Unregistered 12-06-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 173756)
An FAQ answer on the DBS SEED page is "If you do not have a root degree in STEM, but have a minor/taken a few STEM modules, you are welcomed to apply." I take it you will be happier to work with an Arts major with a Minor in CS compared to an EEE grad.

Chill. The guy is obviously not in SEED. Probably an unemployed fresh grad given how bitter he is.

Unregistered 12-06-2021 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 173751)
Keep stroking your own ego to sooth your wounded pride by saying it is more rigorous and harder. No point doing a more rigorous course if you are not even going to be well rewarded in terms of compensation and benefits, especially if you are deemed as a cost centre instead of a profit centre. Look at the prestige of the companies accepting EE grads in the EE industry and compare to the big tech firms, and that is if the EE grad was not already scared off by the content of their course to continue doing EE in their career. Face it. EE will never win CS in either prestige or salary and privileges. If big tech was not a thing, programming modules in EE would be dreaded by the cohort, especially if the EE grad is not aiming to do anything that would involve programming in the job scope, such as power.

Indeed, CS alumni should be helping to watch out for themselves and their juniors. Bootcamps and "a few modules" does not produce the standard of a CS grad, much less even a Year One one. More should be done to maintain the standards and proficiency required for tech jobs so as to prevent pretenders from sneaking into and masquerading as able to do tech jobs.

Fully agree with what you said! In fact the government should regulate and ban non CS majors from entering CS fields, and prosecute those who circumvent these rules, just like how the law, medicine and dentistry industries are protected. I'm sure you don't want a stupid EE major with pathetic A level results performing a heart bypass surgery on you isn't it?

This is the only way to protect the prestige and the high level of technical skills needed to do well in the industry. So what if EE majors can pass tech interviews? Everyone know they are inferior in IQ deep down and this will adversely affect the company long term. Stop the rot early!

Unregistered 12-06-2021 02:19 PM

LOL So many CS graduates losing their minds that anyone with a STEM degree is able to successfully apply for SWE jobs.

Unregistered 12-06-2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

You're the exactly the kind of elitist that everybody hates, I probably assumed you're have done well in your A levels but I'm gonna be honest with you. Good grades doesn't automatically you can work well. Sure you are intellectually capable in exam but from your comment that is pretty much all you offer.

I have worked with FCH people and some of the just cmi, so your grades stop mattering once you start work. It's a different ball game where you can't just "study" your way through.

Unregistered 12-06-2021 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 173784)
You're the exactly the kind of elitist that everybody hates, I probably assumed you're have done well in your A levels but I'm gonna be honest with you. Good grades doesn't automatically you can work well. Sure you are intellectually capable in exam but from your comment that is pretty much all you offer.

I have worked with FCH people and some of the just cmi, so your grades stop mattering once you start work. It's a different ball game where you can't just "study" your way through.

nobody said anything about elitism, dont be so sensitive

Unregistered 12-06-2021 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 173904)
nobody said anything about elitism, dont be so sensitive

Yup. CS ppl mostly can’t work.

Unregistered 13-06-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 173759)
Fully agree with what you said! In fact the government should regulate and ban non CS majors from entering CS fields, and prosecute those who circumvent these rules, just like how the law, medicine and dentistry industries are protected. I'm sure you don't want a stupid EE major with pathetic A level results performing a heart bypass surgery on you isn't it?

This is the only way to protect the prestige and the high level of technical skills needed to do well in the industry. So what if EE majors can pass tech interviews? Everyone know they are inferior in IQ deep down and this will adversely affect the company long term. Stop the rot early!

Why are you agreeing with your own comment?

Unregistered 13-06-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 173751)

Yeah tell that to the steve wozniaks of the world. Stop embarassing yourself.

Unregistered 14-06-2021 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 173759)
Fully agree with what you said! In fact the government should regulate and ban non CS majors from entering CS fields, and prosecute those who circumvent these rules, just like how the law, medicine and dentistry industries are protected. I'm sure you don't want a stupid EE major with pathetic A level results screwing up mission critical digital infrastructure isn't it?

Well, your example about doing heart bypass would apply to everyone not in Medicine, so I changed it to a more appropriate example where an incompetent EE grad messes up something that cannot be messed up.

Other than that, I agree. The rot needs to be stopped soon lest the IT competitiveness of this country is severly reduced and affected by non-CS grads doing CS stuff, especially electrical engineering grads.

Unregistered 14-06-2021 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174139)
Well, your example about doing heart bypass would apply to everyone not in Medicine, so I changed it to a more appropriate example where an incompetent EE grad messes up something that cannot be messed up.

Other than that, I agree. The rot needs to be stopped soon lest the IT competitiveness of this country is severly reduced and affected by non-CS grads doing CS stuff, especially electrical engineering grads.

I'm a non CS, EEE major working in Govtech as a SWE (quite a number, see if you can spot me on LinkedIn), however after reading what you say, I feel so guilty about the possibility of screwing critical infrastructure. Should I tender my registration and go back to replacing light bulbs?

Unregistered 15-06-2021 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174161)
I'm a non CS, EEE major working in Govtech as a SWE (quite a number, see if you can spot me on LinkedIn), however after reading what you say, I feel so guilty about the possibility of screwing critical infrastructure. Should I tender my registration and go back to replacing light bulbs?

Personally I know EEE grads in Govtech as well. The fact is if the government who's known to be very closed-minded and elitist is hiring non-CS grads to become SWE, it does show how little degree matters.

Unregistered 16-06-2021 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174161)

Change lightbulb I'd ask an ITE grad. Prove your course's worth by making a local version of TSMC so we need not rely on others to make high-end chips and perhaps help reduce the effects of cryptominers taking GPUs to mine funbux instead of running games. Glofo does not count as it is a dud when it comes to smaller nodes and they don't even make the smaller nodes here.

Unregistered 16-06-2021 12:49 AM

I am the Third Class Honours EE OP of post #689. At least, I thought I was going to be Third Class Honours before the release of results earlier this month. I have just made it into Second Lower Honours with my final year project and elective modules.

Honours classification aside, I decided to just accept it considering the situation for finding jobs and how other applications would likely turn out. And also to attend an introduction session. I heard an overview of what the bank plans to do over the next few years, got to know seniors of, and ask what I could be doing in the group I am assigned to. Was hoping to do something that was more EE related as a first career. Guess I'll be part of the significant minority of EE grads that don't go into an EE career after graduation.

See you at the start of July.

Unregistered 16-06-2021 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174322)
I am the Third Class Honours EE OP of post #689. At least, I thought I was going to be Third Class Honours before the release of results earlier this month. I have just made it into Second Lower Honours with my final year project and elective modules.

Honours classification aside, I decided to just accept it considering the situation for finding jobs and how other applications would likely turn out. And also to attend an introduction session. I heard an overview of what the bank plans to do over the next few years, got to know seniors of, and ask what I could be doing in the group I am assigned to. Was hoping to do something that was more EE related as a first career. Guess I'll be part of the significant minority of EE grads that don't go into an EE career after graduation.

See you at the start of July.

Hi EEE grad, pls do not join Tech Seed or any SWE role for that matter. SWE and other CS jobs are for CS students! How would you feel if CS students take over your low skilled job of replacing blown light bulbs? I know EE students like you are not intellectually superior enough to understand that CS jobs require high level of computing knowledge that the EE syllabus simply does not offer. Pls fk off and not destroy our prestigious reputation!

Unregistered 16-06-2021 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174328)
Hi EEE grad, pls do not join Tech Seed or any SWE role for that matter. SWE and other CS jobs are for CS students! How would you feel if CS students take over your low skilled job of replacing blown light bulbs? I know EE students like you are not intellectually superior enough to understand that CS jobs require high level of computing knowledge that the EE syllabus simply does not offer. Pls fk off and not destroy our prestigious reputation!

NUS Trainee spotted

Unregistered 16-06-2021 10:42 AM

CS used to be a dumping ground. What prestige was there previously before now?

Quote:

Was computing prestigious from the start like medicine and law? If it was not for the smartphone and social media going mainstream would computing be as prestigious as it is now? It was a "nice to have" and was a dumping ground up to the late 1990s/early 2000s. I would like to have what you are smoking as I would like to get as high and mighty as you are. Unless you are saying that what you smoke as a CS-trained person is too much for any and all non-CS-trained people's brains to handle.

More prestigious universities must have gotten their sh*t very wrong when they decided to couple EE with CS into a department. Need to maintain the purity of CS. /s

Unregistered 16-06-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Are your kidneys fine? Are you on dialysis? You seem so salty I am concered about how damaged your kidneys might be from the amount of salt in your system.

Unregistered 16-06-2021 07:54 PM

Quote:

How would you feel if CS students take over your low skilled job of replacing blown light bulbs?

If it enables you to better understand the hardware that runs your code, I don't see why not. Actually, I think Computer Engineering students do that in some way. You going to rubbish your Computer Engineering half-siblings? Or is Computer Engineering a hellspawn of the unholy matrimony of CS and EE that should not have existed?

Quote:

Pls fk off and not destroy our prestigious reputation!

Besides Engineering (in general), please tell that to Arts, Biz, and Sci students both with and without minors/double majors/double degree in Computing. Let's draw the line thicc and clearly so no one not from Computing dares to cross the line into forbidden territory.

Unregistered 17-06-2021 12:07 PM

Non CS majors in tech jobs are fake software engineers!

Unregistered 18-06-2021 12:02 PM

Which one of you SEEDers caused this

s://.straitstimes.com/business/banking/glitch-in-dbs-banking-services-with-customers-double-charged-for-transactions-on

SINGAPORE - DBS Bank customers have flagged a glitch in the lender's banking services, with several of them saying that they were charged twice for transactions made on credit and debit cards.

The bank said on Friday (June 18) that it is aware of duplicate transactions on selected cards and is investigating to make refunds.

Unregistered 20-06-2021 08:12 AM

Had a EEE NTU student in the techtrek session, I was like wtf how did this guy get here. When it comes to the actual coding session my god he sucked so bad.

Unregistered 20-06-2021 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174836)
Had a EEE NTU student in the techtrek session, I was like wtf how did this guy get here. When it comes to the actual coding session my god he sucked so bad.

Same.. I'm from NTU EEE and saw a NUS CS student struggling to code as well. Don't worry, everyone was stunned. NUS CS like to talk dragon talk phoenix but zero when it comes to coding! LOL

Unregistered 20-06-2021 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152024)
Same here. I got in without knowing any framework for web dev. I only went in knowing the basics of C++ and python and I have a moderate amount of experience making GUI application. I dont even have a degree in CS or computer related field. The road ahead is long lol

To those CS students who think they are so great, pls join FAANGS. Its obvious DBS is willing to put in time and effort to train up anyone as long anyone has taken one or two programming mods. As what everyone says, you don't need a CS degree to be a SWE. Must be hurtful isn't it?

Unregistered 20-06-2021 12:31 PM

must be a salty faang reject rofl.. even eee can get into faang easily..

Unregistered 20-06-2021 07:50 PM

Can you guys login your Taleo account?

Unregistered 20-06-2021 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174883)
Can you guys login your Taleo account?

Yes why not :)

Unregistered 20-06-2021 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174884)
Yes why not :)

Seems like i cant login to mine :/

Unregistered 20-06-2021 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174891)
Seems like i cant login to mine :/

Try requesting for ur username on taleo using ur email
Somehow it changed for mine

Unregistered 21-06-2021 01:13 AM

They changed the username in some way

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174908)

I second this action, they removed the numbers at the end of my original username so I had to find out what my username had changed to when I used my original username.

Unregistered 21-06-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174853)
must be a salty faang reject rofl.. even eee can get into faang easily..

Got to wonder if that person even CS fundamentals if they are from CS.

Unregistered 21-06-2021 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 174908)

Thanks! They changed to my actual name lol

Unregistered 22-06-2021 11:55 AM

First day

July batch peeps. Anyone got any email about first day?

Unregistered 22-06-2021 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 175102)
July batch peeps. Anyone got any email about first day?

Yeah i havent either which is a little worrying:(