Should I switch to a higher paying job? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Should I switch to a higher paying job?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 14-07-2020, 07:20 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1
jasminetea is on a distinguished road
Default Should I switch to a higher paying job?

Hi! I am currently working for a MNC which allows me a lot of flexibility. I can work from home and take leave whenever I want to.* My boss is also very kind and understanding.

My pay is only $4000 per month including bonus. I have worked for 6 years and I'm a local university humanities graduate. My colleagues at a similar level are getting this pay too. They asked management many times for increase but the company said this is the standard salary set by the Singapore HR.

Now and then, I feel tempted to leave for a higher paying job. I see that most jobs in my industry pay more for similar roles.*

However, my health is not good. I have asthma and each time I get a flu, it can last several months with explosive coughing fits.*The industry I'm in (media) is notorious for its very long hours. I fear that my new job will either make my health problems worse, or that my new boss will not be so understanding. Currently, my boss lets me work from home whenever I am sick beyond my 1-2 days MC period, and she never complains about my explosive coughing fits.*

I am not really in need of money as I have an online business on the side which generates monthly income to supplement my full time job. So my motivation to get a higher pay is because of the following reasons: My parents keep comparing me to my younger cousins who are earning much more than me. Also, I feel I am badly underpaid for my qualifications and experience. And if I continue getting this low pay for a few more years then my next job is likely to not pay that well too after seeing my current pay.

Should I apply for other jobs, or accept my low*pay?*

It's not a good time to change job at the moment though, with coronavirus and the bad economy leading to many layoffs. Also, I am getting married soon and might start a family soon.

Thanks very much! I really appreciate any thoughts you could share!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 14-07-2020, 10:12 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 14
dodochicks is on a distinguished road
Default

Just shut up and continue working, you ungrateful b!atch.

Continue drawing your $4k per month salary instead of b!tching here on ur pay is low where people is getting retrenched or get paycut nowadays.


Ungrateful B!atch.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 14-07-2020, 11:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodochicks View Post
Just shut up and continue working, you ungrateful b!atch.

Continue drawing your $4k per month salary instead of b!tching here on ur pay is low where people is getting retrenched or get paycut nowadays.


Ungrateful B!atch.
You siao ah. $4k is so low that if there was a poverty line in Singapore it would fall far below it. I earn 4.xk and I know how much of a struggle it is to survive. I would describe myself as living in severe and abject poverty as even young fresh grads now start from $4.8 to 6k (based on reading this forum).

Be that as it may, I wouldn't recommend TS to change job now because a place that will accommodate her health issues won't be easy to come by. Changing in the current covid environment also compounds the risk - people take big issue with any one that coughs and if TS is new to a company, chances are the people won't take kindly to her coughing. The finances of businesses are also less stable due to the covid recession.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 14-07-2020, 11:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodochicks View Post
Just shut up and continue working, you ungrateful b!atch.

Continue drawing your $4k per month salary instead of b!tching here on ur pay is low where people is getting retrenched or get paycut nowadays.


Ungrateful B!atch.
i wouldn't get opinion from an uneducated son of prostitute like dodochicks. from the way he communicate, he sounds like those living under poverty line with no brain.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 15-07-2020, 07:14 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminetea View Post
Hi! I am currently working for a MNC which allows me a lot of flexibility. I can work from home and take leave whenever I want to.* My boss is also very kind and understanding.

My pay is only $4000 per month including bonus. I have worked for 6 years and I'm a local university humanities graduate. My colleagues at a similar level are getting this pay too. They asked management many times for increase but the company said this is the standard salary set by the Singapore HR.

Now and then, I feel tempted to leave for a higher paying job. I see that most jobs in my industry pay more for similar roles.*

However, my health is not good. I have asthma and each time I get a flu, it can last several months with explosive coughing fits.*The industry I'm in (media) is notorious for its very long hours. I fear that my new job will either make my health problems worse, or that my new boss will not be so understanding. Currently, my boss lets me work from home whenever I am sick beyond my 1-2 days MC period, and she never complains about my explosive coughing fits.*

I am not really in need of money as I have an online business on the side which generates monthly income to supplement my full time job. So my motivation to get a higher pay is because of the following reasons: My parents keep comparing me to my younger cousins who are earning much more than me. Also, I feel I am badly underpaid for my qualifications and experience. And if I continue getting this low pay for a few more years then my next job is likely to not pay that well too after seeing my current pay.

Should I apply for other jobs, or accept my low*pay?*

It's not a good time to change job at the moment though, with coronavirus and the bad economy leading to many layoffs. Also, I am getting married soon and might start a family soon.

Thanks very much! I really appreciate any thoughts you could share!
Wow you're ridiculously underpaid! Fresh grads nowadays earn around 6k per month starting salary, you have 6 years experience, a local uni grad and is only getting paid 4k?! You really need to leave and find a new job that befits your experience and background, who cares about covid? No wonder your parents compare you to your relatives, 4k salary with 6 years experience is such a disgrace - leave this job to someone less qualified than you bruh.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 15-07-2020, 08:46 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I got much lesser work experience but much higher salary than you. My only advice is it a job suitable for you. Money is not everything in life. If it allows good work life balance and allow you to manage everything you need in life, then i would suggest you not to move to a new job. Generally, with higher pay comes higher responsibility. And every boss is different. You future new boss might not have a good working style with you and you suffer alot more in exchange for higher pay. Good to pull yourself away from family and peer pressure and give it a good thought.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 15-07-2020, 09:56 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You siao ah. $4k is so low that if there was a poverty line in Singapore it would fall far below it. I earn 4.xk and I know how much of a struggle it is to survive. I would describe myself as living in severe and abject poverty as even young fresh grads now start from $4.8 to 6k (based on reading this forum).

Be that as it may, I wouldn't recommend TS to change job now because a place that will accommodate her health issues won't be easy to come by. Changing in the current covid environment also compounds the risk - people take big issue with any one that coughs and if TS is new to a company, chances are the people won't take kindly to her coughing. The finances of businesses are also less stable due to the covid recession.
This is good advice. Stay until covid is over or less serious then start looking for new job.

Having said that, media industry as a whole is not high paying thus 4k in 6 years is not unheard of (many in the comments might be comparing you to salaries in the tech, engine or biz sector).
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 15-07-2020, 01:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow you're ridiculously underpaid! Fresh grads nowadays earn around 6k per month starting salary, you have 6 years experience, a local uni grad and is only getting paid 4k?! You really need to leave and find a new job that befits your experience and background, who cares about covid? No wonder your parents compare you to your relatives, 4k salary with 6 years experience is such a disgrace - leave this job to someone less qualified than you bruh.
Fact: I am a fresh NUS Honors grad, a scholar, former top psle student, former gifted programme student with more than 1 double degree offers from 2 other universities and my profession offered me a starting pay of less than $3,500 with shift work.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 15-07-2020, 01:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Fact: I am a fresh NUS Honors grad, a scholar, former top psle student, former gifted programme student with more than 1 double degree offers from 2 other universities and my profession offered me a starting pay of less than $3,500 with shift work.
Honestly, what you describe is someone who didn't live up to their potential. More than half of my GEP batchmates went to top US/UK schools. The other half did law/medicine here. You would be a vast underperformer in my batch.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 15-07-2020, 02:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Fact: I am a fresh NUS Honors grad, a scholar, former top psle student, former gifted programme student with more than 1 double degree offers from 2 other universities and my profession offered me a starting pay of less than $3,500 with shift work.
It is unfortunate given your past achievements, but the market pays based on what it perceives to be your value.

In law school I thought I was going to fly high when I graduated, but I ended up with a starting salary of $500 (five hundred) as a trainee.

Life is tough, understand that your qualifications do not entitle you to any level of salary. So do what you can to create something that companies are willing to pay a lot for.

I say the above apart from your health woes, which are really what's keeping you stranded right now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Top paying companies in SG for CompSci tx3 Income and Jobs 106 25-10-2021 03:30 PM
Best-paying jobs in the US Salary.sg Income and Jobs 1 25-09-2021 07:27 PM
Best paying jobs: Executive Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 25-09-2021 07:25 PM
Top paying industry Salary.sg Income and Jobs 1 25-09-2021 07:24 PM
relatively high paying monotonous job questions Income and Jobs 10 25-04-2013 07:26 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
220 Replies, 82,970 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,060 Replies, 1,528,682 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
676 Replies, 340,931 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
423 Replies, 129,515 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
605 Replies, 479,450 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,935 Replies, 650,297 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,185 Replies, 589,690 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
793 Replies, 389,135 Views
Year end bonus for civil service ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
354 Replies, 73,318 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,003 Replies, 7,679,408 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
181 Replies, 56,825 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,256 Replies, 1,540,021 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,333 Replies, 2,679,013 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 4,508 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,175 Replies, 2,692,378 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,875 Replies, 4,491,295 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
134 Replies, 140,748 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
104 Replies, 33,330 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,545 Replies, 769,793 Views
Credit Suisse ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
154 Replies, 98,512 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
285 Replies, 162,434 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,951 Replies, 5,076,506 Views
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
212 Replies, 176,126 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,260 Replies, 320,274 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,812 Replies, 2,169,883 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
845 Replies, 248,303 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
149 Replies, 197,755 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,412 Replies, 647,557 Views
Htx ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 2,412 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
295 Replies, 119,035 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2