MFA- Foreign Service Administration Specialist 2020 Interview - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




MFA- Foreign Service Administration Specialist 2020 Interview

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2020, 03:06 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 14
dodochicks is on a distinguished road
Default MFA- Foreign Service Administration Specialist 2020 Interview

Hi guys

Recently just went through this and wondering what's the actual career prospects that this position has.. would like to hear from someone who has actually worked in MFA before.

Just went through the english test, logistical test and situational test.

I heard from HR that this position is meant for not as educated people (e.g. A levels and Poly students). and the HR said that some of the applicant has "some" experiences in university (heck what does she even mean? university is university right?)

Any idea about the bonuses, starting salary and benefits?

Do share your experiences thanks!

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-07-2020, 07:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodochicks View Post
Hi guys

Recently just went through this and wondering what's the actual career prospects that this position has.. would like to hear from someone who has actually worked in MFA before.

Just went through the english test, logistical test and situational test.

I heard from HR that this position is meant for not as educated people (e.g. A levels and Poly students). and the HR said that some of the applicant has "some" experiences in university (heck what does she even mean? university is university right?)

Any idea about the bonuses, starting salary and benefits?

Do share your experiences thanks!
Hi there! Like what you said, the FSAS scheme is mainly directed towards non-degree holders serving a periphery role to FSOs in MFA. There are degree holders (mainly SIM grads) under this scheme as well.

It’s a great scheme to experience how life is like with the foreign service but please do not consider it as a long career option. You can talk to senior FSAS or ex FSAS around, the workload and the nature of the tasking (for senior FSAS especially) is exactly the same as the FSO scheme but you guys are severely receiving the shorter end of the stick in terms of remuneration.

My five cents... go through with the job for a bout 2 – 3 years, save up cash for your masters at a prestigious uni, and reapply for the FSO scheme.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2020, 12:13 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 14
dodochicks is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi there! Like what you said, the FSAS scheme is mainly directed towards non-degree holders serving a periphery role to FSOs in MFA. There are degree holders (mainly SIM grads) under this scheme as well.

It’s a great scheme to experience how life is like with the foreign service but please do not consider it as a long career option. You can talk to senior FSAS or ex FSAS around, the workload and the nature of the tasking (for senior FSAS especially) is exactly the same as the FSO scheme but you guys are severely receiving the shorter end of the stick in terms of remuneration.

My five cents... go through with the job for a bout 2 – 3 years, save up cash for your masters at a prestigious uni, and reapply for the FSO scheme.
Isnt FSO scheme reserved for top scholars only?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2020, 12:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodochicks View Post
Isnt FSO scheme reserved for top scholars only?
Out of all the ministries, indeed most PSC scholars flock over to MFA under the FSO scheme.

However, we do have tons of “farmer” FSOs in the foreign service. Especially experienced hires!


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2020, 12:56 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodochicks View Post
Isnt FSO scheme reserved for top scholars only?
Nope.

There are those from JC who receive MFA scholarship to study in top overseas uni like Oxford etc. They come back as political/economic track FSOs and are of course on the fast track.

The other FSOs both in political and functional track are non-scholars who come from both local uni and overseas uni. They go through the selection tests (round 1 english tests, essay and roundtable discussion, round 2 assessment centre, round 3 panel interview) to become FSOs.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2020, 02:30 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What about SUSS or NTU biological science graduates ?

Are they able to join as FSO?
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2020, 10:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nope.

There are those from JC who receive MFA scholarship to study in top overseas uni like Oxford etc. They come back as political/economic track FSOs and are of course on the fast track.

The other FSOs both in political and functional track are non-scholars who come from both local uni and overseas uni. They go through the selection tests (round 1 english tests, essay and roundtable discussion, round 2 assessment centre, round 3 panel interview) to become FSOs.
Since you mentioned fast track, in terms of career path, how big is the scholar/farmer divide? TIA!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2020, 03:49 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 14
dodochicks is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What about SUSS or NTU biological science graduates ?

Are they able to join as FSO?
Im talking about those with 100-199 rang PSLE

N levels & O levels about 16++

Go into poly route and have subpar 3.0 gpa

Went into SUSS or aussie uni.


Came out as 2nd lower honors.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2020, 04:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodochicks View Post
Im talking about those with 100-199 rang PSLE

N levels & O levels about 16++

Go into poly route and have subpar 3.0 gpa

Went into SUSS or aussie uni.


Came out as 2nd lower honors.
The FSO scheme doesn’t have an explicit preference for a particular major per se. It does however have a knack for outstanding academic performance and transcripts from prestigious universities.

Have not heard of any FSOs coming in fresh from subpar universities like SIM or non-G8 Aussie unis. They will most likely fall under the FSAS track unfortunately.

What you can do however if you hold lackluster academic credentials is like one of the previous poster said... work for a couple of years, save up cash, study hard for your GRE and rebrand yourself with a good MSc/MA. Only then do you stand a fighting chance in joining the FSO scheme.

Tbh, your chances of becoming an FSO holding a 2nd lower is zero to none unless you have a strong value proposition like business level proficiency in a foreign language. Even so, it’s still an uphill task.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2020, 05:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Second lower honours FSO dun like...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interested in Position of VP (Administration) at MOE soniafatah Income and Jobs 16 16-05-2019 07:30 PM
Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Foreign Service Administration Specialist‏ westflame Income and Jobs 9 03-05-2019 02:24 AM
Info on Foreign Service Administration Specialist position rongo Income and Jobs 3 13-02-2018 12:56 AM
Research specialist / Senior research specialist @ Duke-NUS? ympk Income and Jobs 0 18-12-2013 11:40 AM
Jobs for Masters in Public Administration gadgetxx Income and Jobs 10 29-06-2012 09:28 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,829 Replies, 4,651,944 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,657 Replies, 7,375,014 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
128 Replies, 37,008 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,340 Replies, 579,201 Views
Citibank Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
141 Replies, 101,572 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,729 Replies, 1,298,886 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 1,785 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
333 Replies, 455,485 Views
Grab Finance Graduate Programme...
3 Replies, 148 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,093 Replies, 2,536,843 Views
Heineken APAC Graduate Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
276 Replies, 135,423 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
740 Replies, 203,434 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,724 Replies, 4,367,999 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,849 Replies, 612,374 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,033 Replies, 528,350 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
121 Replies, 59,073 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
70 Replies, 37,056 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
880 Replies, 228,570 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
250 Replies, 112,652 Views
DXC Technology
0 Replies, 55 Views
Y Ventures Group
0 Replies, 33 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,022 Replies, 2,516,548 Views
Breaking the Letter Of Commitment... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 26,782 Views
Tax ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 9,067 Views
How is HTX Associate Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 7,829 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
458 Replies, 279,346 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
487 Replies, 276,758 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,788 Replies, 1,421,929 Views
Process Engineer Salary
3 Replies, 5,245 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2