Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   desperate (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1284-desperate.html)

hail 28-03-2011 10:58 AM

desperate

Hi there, I am a recent (dec) degree graduate in accountancy and finding it rather challenging to get a job. I have reach a rather desperate mode where I am willing to accept anything that comes my way.,. I am just wondering if anyone has any advice on career path or anything useful.. I would appreciate any advice :D thank you !

k3vin 28-03-2011 11:49 AM

Hmmm... are you intent on just going down your field of accountancy?

Job market's pretty good to be honest, offers quite easy to come by.

Is your expectations too high? Where did you grad from?

hail 28-03-2011 12:01 PM

I am a recent graduate (not from a local U) with no experience and no ablity to speak chinese..

I am expecting at least $2 k

maybe I am doing something wrong? .. Any suggestions will be appreciated

k3vin 28-03-2011 12:07 PM

2k is pretty reasonable, you have not answered my question.

Are you looking for positions only within the Big 4 or just any firm would do? Thats a big difference.

Your chinese speaking capabilities should not hinder you too much I would think?

What are the places you have been applying to?

hail 28-03-2011 12:21 PM

I am an SIM graduate. I have been applying for mid-tier accounting firm, mnc's and local companies . Some seem to prefer chinese speaking so they can liase with working associates / client

I just got an offer for 1.8K an admin job nothing to do with accountancy.. 1.5 years contract no bonus or anything...but everyone is saying i should not accept anything less than 2.2 because it will hinder my futher pay .. what are your thoughts

k3vin 28-03-2011 12:29 PM

Yes I agree with what you have been told.
2k+ is the bare minimum I would accept if I am you.
Have you got any honours?

Have you gotten through at least beyond the initial interview? Could your presentation skills have hindered you? I guess nothing to do but keep trying.
1.8k is decent diploma pay man, for SIM, i am guessing it should not be that low.

Any of your friends gotten jobs already? Hows their pay like? I cant answer with clarity as I am not from SIM. I am a job seeker too :) and offers are really quite easy to come by now.

hail 28-03-2011 12:47 PM

I wish you luck on your job hunting! My offers are primarily starting at 1.8 k ..Do you find that there is a lag period (mine has been like approximately 3 weeks - a month) before they get back to you? What are the employment channels you use ? :D Thank you for your feedback!

I have been for 4 interviews and been offered 3 of them, one (gov body) is still under consideration. Since, the interview rate is kinda low, I have considered it may be my resume/coverletter so I have improved it to the best of my abilities.

Thoes with no prior work experience are getting paid 2.2 - 2.7 ( no honours)
Thoes with work experience 2.4 onwards
Poly mates who decided not to study on are getting paid 2.3 k

k3vin 28-03-2011 01:05 PM

Thanks! For me I usually get replies in a few days, your lag period seems unusual. I just use the career fairs/recruiting emails that NUS provide/send. But I usually just email the companies that I am keen in. Just head to their website and apply directly.

Since you have no job experience yet i guess no harm taking up an offer of around $2000 first but perhaps one with good prospects and good transferable experience that you can bring to your next job when you hunt again.

Did you put down any expected pay?

Unregistered 28-03-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hail (Post 10624)
I am an SIM graduate. I have been applying for mid-tier accounting firm, mnc's and local companies . Some seem to prefer chinese speaking so they can liase with working associates / client

I just got an offer for 1.8K an admin job nothing to do with accountancy.. 1.5 years contract no bonus or anything...but everyone is saying i should not accept anything less than 2.2 because it will hinder my futher pay .. what are your thoughts

UOL? What is your class of honours? My friend of 2nd class (lower) was offered 2.5 in a local firm.

curryrice 28-03-2011 05:57 PM

Accounting grad probably have no problems landing a job. The market now belongs to finance and accounting grads!

Engineering grads? <sigh>