Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Private Sector vs Public Sector (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1283-private-sector-vs-public-sector.html)

adrianfoo 17-10-2012 02:08 PM

so high pay.........

Ella Zhang 31-08-2014 01:30 AM

Need someone to give me advice.

Hi All,

I'm Ella, 38 years old, currently holding sales engineer position in private sector, salary $4,100 monthly(included transportation of $1,000). However public sector offers, technical officer, salary $2,900 monthly. Should I take up take up the job offer? This is because I heard that working in public sector more secure, is that true? I would like to know, from $2,900 to $4,100, take how many years to match my current salary? Please advise. Thanks

Unregistered 31-08-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ella Zhang (Post 55728)
Hi All,

I'm Ella, 38 years old, currently holding sales engineer position in private sector, salary $4,100 monthly(included transportation of $1,000). However public sector offers, technical officer, salary $2,900 monthly. Should I take up take up the job offer? This is because I heard that working in public sector more secure, is that true? I would like to know, from $2,900 to $4,100, take how many years to match my current salary? Please advise. Thanks

I will not say that public sector is iron rice bowl. In the past yes... But presently, it's not. I've seen how even senior ppl have been managed out. Not worth takin the drop especially if it's security you are looking for. 2cents :)

Xyz 31-08-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55735)
I will not say that public sector is iron rice bowl. In the past yes... But presently, it's not. I've seen how even senior ppl have been managed out. Not worth takin the drop especially if it's security you are looking for. 2cents :)

Hi do you mind sharing how does one get managed out?

Unregistered 12-05-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xyz (Post 55736)
Hi do you mind sharing how does one get managed out?

take away your (actual) job, take away your team (if you director level), put you on unreasonable/impossible tasks, frequent scolding/public humiliation...

but at the end of the day, if you got a thick face, and be very careful not to make any disciplinary mistakes, you still get to linger around for many many years

Unregistered 12-05-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 55735)

I think these are 2 different things. When we say a PS job is an iron rice bowl, what we meant was that even in times of recession, chances of being retrenched is very low. Your example of being managed out applies to both private and public sector. There are no openings out there which can offer you a salary while doing a bad job.

So to the original poster who is offered 2900, do look at 2 things:
1) overall package. Usually PS will have an avg of 15mths annually; and
2) Stable increment of around 3% avg annually.

Unregistered 30-10-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 97308)
take away your (actual) job, take away your team (if you director level), put you on unreasonable/impossible tasks, frequent scolding/public humiliation...

but at the end of the day, if you got a thick face, and be very careful not to make any disciplinary mistakes, you still get to linger around for many many years

lmao, you can't handle workplace politics lah