Cornell vs Cambridge vs SMU - Page 17 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Cornell vs Cambridge vs SMU

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #161 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I'm a 2010 grad from Wharton's undergraduate program and will be working in New York. I would say that most of us (including me) got jobs through on-campus recruitment. The Bulge Bracket offers this year for me and my fellow graduates were about $80-90K and a $20-30K signon bonus as a generalist analyst. I'm told they were higher than last year by Wharton's career placement office (which is a really fantastic organisation). I'm told that some of the top students like the valedictorian were able to get offers over $100K. There was a guaranteed minimum bonus in some of our offers, but most of us expect to get more - at least 6-12 months for our first bonus because we are going to work our asses off. The guys who went to the boutiques, hedge funds and smaller firms got a little less at $40-70K.
feels good to inflate that number a little bit to make you feel important eh? don't worry, i've been there, done that. my guess is you are probably offered 75k base with 10k sign on and 5k relocation (if you are lucky). And guaranteed bonus for generalist analyst? who are you kidding? Also, 6-12months because you work hard? kiddo, it is not how hard you work, it is how much rain you bring in, and go read frank-dodd.

Reply With Quote
  #162 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Guys, there is no need to argue. The graduate salaries are published by the Universities and available on the internet.

From what I can see, the mean first year salary for a fresh Stanford MBA Grad in the Class of 2010 working in the Northeast (i.e., New York City) is $130,741. His mean signing bonus was $31,250 and his other mean guaranteed compensation was $133,375. So the mean total comp was $295,366. Phew! The median was $265,000.

However, most chose to work in the West (LA, SFO), and the mean total compensation was $197,830. Looks like there is a $100K difference between the West and the Northeast!
I graduated from Stanford a good number of years back. You need to understand some concept of statistics to appreciate those numbers properly. Mean or average is particularly susceptible to outliers. Look at the median instead

Here's the stats from stanford website:
Positions & Compensation: MBA Program: Stanford GSB
Class of 2010
Base salary: $120,000 median with a range of $40,000 to $330,000
Signing bonus: $20,000 median with a range of $2,500 to $100,000
Other guaranteed compensation: $25,000 median with a range of $9,000 to $300,000

More specifically for IB Associate (http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/cmc/repo...ort_09_10l.pdf)
Base (median/mean/range) = 100k/96k/60k-110k
Sign on = 40k/37k/10k-50k
Guaranteed = 0/0/0

Again, analyst makes 30-40% less. And guaranteed bonus for analyst? that's a rare rarity.

Reply With Quote
  #163 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
But aren't you actually saying that California is wrong because he estimated $60-80K and you are estimating $80-120K? Also, when I add up your numbers, you seem to be estimating $90-$140K rather than $80-120K that is 70+20+50 = 140
dude, learn to read before you comment.

I say 80-120k, excluding sign on, which is 90-140k with sign on. get it?

Also, we are not doing precision math here. Ball park, dude, ball park. Between california and the unregistered, california is in the ball park.

what's your obsession with precision here? you need professional help?

Reply With Quote
  #164 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
stop being a twit. i worked or work for two of the 3 firms you mentioned. And base compensation for the analyst program is fixed regardless of where you graduate. And you don't need to run a unit to decide analyst pay because it comes from a common pool.

i don't think you know what you are talking about, or at least, i'm sure you have very limited, probably no, first-hand experience, and are probably arguing on hearsay.

120k for a fresh grad is a dream, even in nyc, where the median family salary is around 60-80k.

get a life, and shut up already.
At least the other chap was polite and helpful. You are just an asshole and judging from your poor english, you are another keyboard warrior who needs to get a life.
Reply With Quote
  #165 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I graduated from Stanford a good number of years back. You need to understand some concept of statistics to appreciate those numbers properly. Mean or average is particularly susceptible to outliers. Look at the median instead

Here's the stats from stanford website:
Positions & Compensation: MBA Program: Stanford GSB
Class of 2010
Base salary: $120,000 median with a range of $40,000 to $330,000
Signing bonus: $20,000 median with a range of $2,500 to $100,000
Other guaranteed compensation: $25,000 median with a range of $9,000 to $300,000

More specifically for IB Associate (http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/cmc/repo...ort_09_10l.pdf)
Base (median/mean/range) = 100k/96k/60k-110k
Sign on = 40k/37k/10k-50k
Guaranteed = 0/0/0

Again, analyst makes 30-40% less. And guaranteed bonus for analyst? that's a rare rarity.
The numbers you quote are for all Stanford MBA Grads. If you follow your 2nd link to the details, you will see that the median base salary for Northeast was $120K. The median signing bonus was $20K and the median Other guaranteed compensation was $125K. That makes $265K. 30-40% less = $159K-$186K

For "Investment Banker", the Guaranteed was 0/0/0, but for analyst, under Guaranteed it was 50k/69k/13k-200k
Reply With Quote
  #166 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
dude, learn to read before you comment.

I say 80-120k, excluding sign on, which is 90-140k with sign on. get it?

Also, we are not doing precision math here. Ball park, dude, ball park. Between california and the unregistered, california is in the ball park.

what's your obsession with precision here? you need professional help?
Perhaps its the way you write that's confusing. Sign on is a bonus right, so its $90-140K. If California is saying $60-80K, how can $90-140K be in the ballpark? Your ballpark is pretty big
Reply With Quote

  #167 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
feels good to inflate that number a little bit to make you feel important eh? don't worry, i've been there, done that. my guess is you are probably offered 75k base with 10k sign on and 5k relocation (if you are lucky). And guaranteed bonus for generalist analyst? who are you kidding? Also, 6-12months because you work hard? kiddo, it is not how hard you work, it is how much rain you bring in, and go read frank-dodd.
Your reference to Frank-Dodd shows your ignorance. It applies to Executive compensation (like the CEO) not first year employees!! In fact, the main impact from the various acts is to boost base salaries. If you haven't had a 20-30% boost to your salary (and lower bonus this year), you clearly didn't go to Stanford or work in a bulge bracket investment bank. Haha.
Reply With Quote
  #168 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your reference to Frank-Dodd shows your ignorance. It applies to Executive compensation (like the CEO) not first year employees!! In fact, the main impact from the various acts is to boost base salaries. If you haven't had a 20-30% boost to your salary (and lower bonus this year), you clearly didn't go to Stanford or work in a bulge bracket investment bank. Haha.
you are a waste of my time. heard of the concept of back propagation? if your boss makes 2M, what is the likelihood that you make 100k? Now, if your boss's boss makes 2M, what is the likelihood that you make 100k. Now, go propagate.

Frank Dodd directly affects top executives' remuneration; top executives' remuneration directly affects the package of those below them.

You are probably just a student with no working experience and hoping you will break into ib.

Now really, shut up already.
Reply With Quote
  #169 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The numbers you quote are for all Stanford MBA Grads. If you follow your 2nd link to the details, you will see that the median base salary for Northeast was $120K. The median signing bonus was $20K and the median Other guaranteed compensation was $125K. That makes $265K. 30-40% less = $159K-$186K

For "Investment Banker", the Guaranteed was 0/0/0, but for analyst, under Guaranteed it was 50k/69k/13k-200k
Kekekeke. The hotshot Stanford Graduate from New York finally discovers that he was underpaid relative to his Stanford peers.
Reply With Quote
  #170 (permalink)  
Old 04-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you are a waste of my time. heard of the concept of back propagation? if your boss makes 2M, what is the likelihood that you make 100k? Now, if your boss's boss makes 2M, what is the likelihood that you make 100k. Now, go propagate.

Frank Dodd directly affects top executives' remuneration; top executives' remuneration directly affects the package of those below them.

You are probably just a student with no working experience and hoping you will break into ib.

Now really, shut up already.
Nobody has heard of "back propagation" and Frank Dodd doesn't even apply to the 2M guy. It applies to the $400M guy who now has to be happy with $50M.

The more you open your mouth, the less credibility you have. Back propagation. Hahahahahahahaha
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bond, bond breaking, cambridge, cornell, moral obligation, smu

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cambridge or local university? Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 4 18-03-2008 08:10 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,393 Replies, 6,394,977 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
478 Replies, 303,370 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
188 Replies, 53,998 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,771 Replies, 1,100,865 Views
Head of Trading
4 Replies, 855 Views
What's the graduate officer... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
70 Replies, 24,565 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
259 Replies, 168,216 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,531 Replies, 358,425 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
92 Replies, 95,446 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,782 Replies, 1,480,027 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,105 Replies, 1,965,473 Views
NUS working environment and pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
98 Replies, 84,808 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
126 Replies, 137,683 Views
Capgemini tester trainee ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 1,511 Views
MFA- Foreign Service... ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 8,733 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 42,186 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,895 Replies, 1,297,064 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
792 Replies, 411,940 Views
Cybersecurity Salaries in... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 4,333 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
273 Replies, 55,628 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,233 Replies, 3,500,041 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
891 Replies, 621,331 Views
Usually is it ok to HR recruiters...
6 Replies, 1,746 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
296 Replies, 251,398 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,517 Replies, 1,448,433 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
616 Replies, 172,391 Views
lazada/shopee fresh grad starting... ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 1,423 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
486 Replies, 352,367 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,606 Replies, 2,172,933 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2