Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Sign On After 30? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12778-sign-after-30-a.html)

EXVIUS 12-06-2020 06:42 PM

Sign On After 30?

Hello everyone,

I'd like to gather your thoughts/inputs regarding my situation. I would appreciate serious/honest inputs please.

I'm 31 this year, completed my part-time degree last year with 5 years working experience (education bg ITE>Poly>SUSS). Although I'm getting a fairly reasonable salary (>4k) right now. I struggled with my job (perhaps due to my introverted & softspoken nature) and feels i'm stuck in a professional rut. Moreover my current working environment (SME) isn't exactly ideal...
I put in the hours and the work but don't see myself getting any better with my job (sure some things are easier now but not to my expectations). I wonder if I'm really cut out in my current role (assigned to almost 2 years now).

Personally exercising has been part of my lifestyle (i'm not super fit) IPPT Gold ever since they switched to the points system. Bored of office job and wanted something more active, I applied for SCDF Direct-Entry Lieutenant role. Not expecting a reply but they came back with an upcoming psychometric assessment. Not sure what to expect and anyone has been through please share.

Thinking forward, if i do have the choice to sign on despite my age, what will I be expecting etc?

This isn't about $ as I believe what I'm drawing now is above the pay grade. I don't mind taking a cut if this could turn out to be something meaningful/impactful.

I hope this post comes as sincere to everyone and I really do hope to get some honest inputs of what you guys think. Thank you.

Unregistered 12-06-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EXVIUS (Post 138015)
Hello everyone,

I'd like to gather your thoughts/inputs regarding my situation. I would appreciate serious/honest inputs please.

I'm 31 this year, completed my part-time degree last year with 5 years working experience (education bg ITE>Poly>SUSS). Although I'm getting a fairly reasonable salary (>4k) right now. I struggled with my job (perhaps due to my introverted & softspoken nature) and feels i'm stuck in a professional rut. Moreover my current working environment (SME) isn't exactly ideal...
I put in the hours and the work but don't see myself getting any better with my job (sure some things are easier now but not to my expectations). I wonder if I'm really cut out in my current role (assigned to almost 2 years now).

Personally exercising has been part of my lifestyle (i'm not super fit) IPPT Gold ever since they switched to the points system. Bored of office job and wanted something more active, I applied for SCDF Direct-Entry Lieutenant role. Not expecting a reply but they came back with an upcoming psychometric assessment. Not sure what to expect and anyone has been through please share.

Thinking forward, if i do have the choice to sign on despite my age, what will I be expecting etc?

This isn't about $ as I believe what I'm drawing now is above the pay grade. I don't mind taking a cut if this could turn out to be something meaningful/impactful.

I hope this post comes as sincere to everyone and I really do hope to get some honest inputs of what you guys think. Thank you.

From SCDF website:

Salary
Salary Range
$3,890 -$4,921*
*with effect from 1 Jan 2020
Indicative salary for fresh graduates. Additional increments may be given for relevant work experience and completion of full-time National Service.

Who knows you might even get more than 4K? Training I think will be physically and mentally challenging so as to prepare you for real life/death incident? Just give it your best since you have been invited for the test. If offered, can consider further to join or not.

Unregistered 12-06-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Hello everyone,

Go with your heart! Go for it! Definitely a career with a path setup for you once you step in. Seem like you would be happier joining SCDF..

Unregistered 12-06-2020 11:10 PM

Hi appreciate your sincere sharing. I'm not from SCDF but the fact that they invited you for the assessment means something. 31 isnt too old imho. I'm sure there are even older mid-career switchers who are considering signing on for $$ especially in this covid pandemic. Follow your heart, I say grab this opportunity and go for it! Job satisfaction is very important.

'Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life.'

Unregistered 13-06-2020 12:16 PM

why scdf? this org and ica have a lots of a particular race which u need to handle everyday. with ur fitness should be easy to sign on army or air force. better colleagues and prospects imho

Unregistered 13-06-2020 03:44 PM

Too old. Join DXO better.

Unregistered 13-06-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138060)
why scdf? this org and ica have a lots of a particular race which u need to handle everyday. with ur fitness should be easy to sign on army or air force. better colleagues and prospects imho

Wow. Racist comment spotted. Prolly a racist as well

Unregistered 13-06-2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Hello everyone,

I think scdf needs u to be extroverted?

Usually uniformed officers needs some degree of extraversion. Must speak up loudly to command your men.
But go for it. Since u tired of office jobs.

Do keep fit as fitness is super impt during ur officer course

EXVIUS 13-06-2020 07:39 PM

Hello all,

Thank you all for the inputs! Mixed inputs but I shall keep an open mind.

Please continue to input your thoughts etc if any!

Unregistered 13-06-2020 09:16 PM

just go and do your best, wait till they offer you then you give it serious thought because not so easy to get through