Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Project Manager (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1269-project-manager.html)

felzus 22-03-2011 06:16 PM

Project Manager
 
I'm interested in studying this course, Project and Facilities Management in NUS after I graduate from JC. May i know the payscale for a project manager related to building and construction industry and how long before one can undertake that position?

Unregistered 23-03-2011 08:45 PM

Construction industry in Singapore typically employs Civil Engineers with experience in construction to manage civil or building construction projects. Degree in Project and Facilities Management would be a plus but not a prerequisite and if given a choice between someone with a degree in Civil Engineer and Project Management, my guess is construction firms would pick Civil Engineers to run the project for them. Reason is simple. Civil Engineers possess technical knowledge and can be trained in management. Graduates in Project Management however have the management know-how but lack the technical knowledge which can't be taught as easily.

felzus 24-03-2011 07:01 PM

Thank you a lot for your info, i hope more people can give me advice. Recently i have also been thinking about this issue that this course is too general. Once, a friend told me that it would be better to pursue a course that is more specific, eg instead of Business Studies, one should pursue individual zoom intos, eg Fund Management. Therefore, i have been reconsidering my choice about Project and Facilities management and have been thinking about Architecture/Civil Engineering instead. One question, is there are significant difference between civil engineering and architecture? Because, they are in different faculties: Architecture in built environment, civil engineering in engineering. Please enlighten me about the specific differences... Also, if i pursue architecture, will my future job revolve around the design of blueprints of buildings/decision of required materials only? Thank you.

Unregistered 24-03-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felzus (Post 10419)
Thank you a lot for your info, i hope more people can give me advice. Recently i have also been thinking about this issue that this course is too general. Once, a friend told me that it would be better to pursue a course that is more specific, eg instead of Business Studies, one should pursue individual zoom intos, eg Fund Management. Therefore, i have been reconsidering my choice about Project and Facilities management and have been thinking about Architecture/Civil Engineering instead. One question, is there are significant difference between civil engineering and architecture? Because, they are in different faculties: Architecture in built environment, civil engineering in engineering. Please enlighten me about the specific differences... Also, if i pursue architecture, will my future job revolve around the design of blueprints of buildings/decision of required materials only? Thank you.

Architects design the buildings. Civil engineers build them, the piling, water pipes, M&E, etc. When completed, the facilities managers manage them, repairs, maintenance, complaints.

You'll hear of famous architects like IM Pei and Foster, but you'll never hear of famous individual civil engineers and FM managers. Architecture can be an art, while the others are just jobs.

Take your pick.

felzus 24-03-2011 08:03 PM

Appreciate ur help. Guess i would probably be considering Architecture. For now, i need to study hard for my A's as if i don't get grades, these courses are not even up to my discretion to pick. Haha.

Unregistered 29-03-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felzus (Post 10421)
Appreciate ur help. Guess i would probably be considering Architecture. For now, i need to study hard for my A's as if i don't get grades, these courses are not even up to my discretion to pick. Haha.

Well firstly, FM is a profession that manages completed buildings more like maintenance of the building so that things runs smoothly. An experience building manager (10yrs) can earn 8k or more.

As for PM for main contractor, they will either wants a civil engineer which is registered with the engineer board but they will also look at a project management graduate too. It really depends on the main contractor. For PM, one can also be working for a developer, architecture firm or a consultancy firm.

I bet to differ that most will choose a civil engineer to be a PM as to those who possess a project management degree. I myself is having a project management degree and now a PM for one of the listed developer in Singapore. I have a team of consultants (architects, civil engineers, M&E engineers, ID etc) helping and advising me on the project but on the other hand one also needs a fair amount of experience in order to make a better decision. None of my colleagues is a civil engineers hahahaha........

Unregistered 22-03-2012 12:10 PM

the course on pfm teaches mainly on managment for construction buildings right? So how is your job so far?(previous post) is it enjoyable for your?

I am not so sure if i have that huge an interest to learn about construction, but it sounds interesting to deal with different projects every time, so...
is the construction industry very male dominated too?

Unregistered 22-03-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felzus (Post 10419)
Thank you a lot for your info, i hope more people can give me advice. Recently i have also been thinking about this issue that this course is too general. Once, a friend told me that it would be better to pursue a course that is more specific, eg instead of Business Studies, one should pursue individual zoom intos, eg Fund Management. Therefore, i have been reconsidering my choice about Project and Facilities management and have been thinking about Architecture/Civil Engineering instead. One question, is there are significant difference between civil engineering and architecture? Because, they are in different faculties: Architecture in built environment, civil engineering in engineering. Please enlighten me about the specific differences... Also, if i pursue architecture, will my future job revolve around the design of blueprints of buildings/decision of required materials only? Thank you.


your future job involved kissing up to people and trying to get ahead. whatever technical aptitute u need , u will probalbly be trained for OJT. architecture is better than civil engineering. better pay, harder to get in. civil engineering sux basically. lots of my civil e grad friends either foreman consturction site , or change job become financial advisor/planner (i.e fancy name for insurance agent). and no, these are people from NTU, not some rojak uni.

Unregistered 22-03-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22708)
your future job involved kissing up to people and trying to get ahead. whatever technical aptitute u need , u will probalbly be trained for OJT. architecture is better than civil engineering. better pay, harder to get in. civil engineering sux basically. lots of my civil e grad friends either foreman consturction site , or change job become financial advisor/planner (i.e fancy name for insurance agent). and no, these are people from NTU, not some rojak uni.

NTU is considered rojak isn't it?

Unregistered 24-03-2012 07:56 PM

any fresh graduates from project & facilities management out there care to share your experience with us?


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2