Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Do most MNCs pay better than the civil service (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12661-do-most-mncs-pay-better-than-civil-service.html)

ilovemoney 20-05-2020 10:39 PM

Do most MNCs pay better than the civil service

I'll be graduating soon from a local uni (FCH) and I'm still unsure of what I want to do. I was wondering which pays better in general: a generic role in a MNC (HR/comms/business development etc) or a policy role in the civil service? I'm not a govt scholar BTW, so I'm worried about progression in the civil service as well. Would love some advice, thank you!

Unregistered 20-05-2020 11:33 PM

I think the work and culture in private sector and public sector are fairly different. It might not be easy to make a switch to private sector since the work experience might be different. Made this mistake in my choosing first job, as I chose my first job based on salary. Would be good to know what you want to achieve in 5 to 10 years and work backwards from there

Unregistered 20-05-2020 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemoney (Post 134728)
I'll be graduating soon from a local uni (FCH) and I'm still unsure of what I want to do. I was wondering which pays better in general: a generic role in a MNC (HR/comms/business development etc) or a policy role in the civil service? I'm not a govt scholar BTW, so I'm worried about progression in the civil service as well. Would love some advice, thank you!

What did you study? Any job offers so far? We can advise better if you are able to provide the information.

Unregistered 20-05-2020 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134735)
What did you study? Any job offers so far? We can advise better if you are able to provide the information.

To add on, if you have gotten job offers, how much was offered to you?

Unregistered 21-05-2020 12:15 AM

I can only speak for the FMCG industry.

MA Programmes and Graduate Schemes typically pay a gross of $4,375 +/- throughout the tenure. There are no pay differentials according to the classification of honours, everyone is paid the same. Promotions and bonuses thereafter will be dependent on your department posted to with the usuals like Ariba analysts on the top bracket while marcomm down below at the bottom.

ilovemoney 21-05-2020 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134734)
I think the work and culture in private sector and public sector are fairly different. It might not be easy to make a switch to private sector since the work experience might be different. Made this mistake in my choosing first job, as I chose my first job based on salary. Would be good to know what you want to achieve in 5 to 10 years and work backwards from there

Honestly, I don't really have any career ambition whatsoever lol, I just hope to lead a comfortable life and support my parents in their retirement. I've read that to earn a lot in the private sector, I'll have to be among roughly the top 10% in performance and be thick-skinned in asking for promotions. To be very honest I don't think I'm capable of that. On the other hand, I've read that a FCH gets you pretty far in the civil service even with average performance, so I thought that'd be a safer choice. All that I've written is from reading the forums though, so they might not be entirely accurate.

ilovemoney 21-05-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134736)
To add on, if you have gotten job offers, how much was offered to you?

Nope, I haven't applied yet (bad idea). If it helps, I did a HR internship at a FMCG MNC last year ($1.5k). I was also offered an internship at a ministry which I rejected ($1k).

ilovemoney 21-05-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemoney (Post 134759)
Nope, I haven't applied yet (bad idea). If it helps, I did a HR internship at a FMCG MNC last year ($1.5k). I was also offered an internship at a ministry which I rejected ($1k).

Oops, forgot to add, I'm from FASS

Unregistered 21-05-2020 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemoney (Post 134758)
Honestly, I don't really have any career ambition whatsoever lol, I just hope to lead a comfortable life and support my parents in their retirement. I've read that to earn a lot in the private sector, I'll have to be among roughly the top 10% in performance and be thick-skinned in asking for promotions. To be very honest I don't think I'm capable of that. On the other hand, I've read that a FCH gets you pretty far in the civil service even with average performance, so I thought that'd be a safer choice. All that I've written is from reading the forums though, so they might not be entirely accurate.

Last line is intriguing...LOL

Me: not sure if forum info is accurate
Also me: let me get confirmation in forum

Unregistered 21-05-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134781)
Last line is intriguing...LOL

Me: not sure if forum info is accurate
Also me: let me get confirmation in forum

HAHAHAHHA this made my day

Unregistered 22-05-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemoney (Post 134758)

On average, FCH in the civil service will earn more than a typical MNC employee, if that's what you're asking. A lot of people have dreams of making it big in an MNC but the truth is only the best performers earn a lot. The rest are likely to earn below what a FCH would get in the civil service.

Unregistered 22-05-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134848)
On average, FCH in the civil service will earn more than a typical MNC employee, if that's what you're asking. A lot of people have dreams of making it big in an MNC but the truth is only the best performers earn a lot. The rest are likely to earn below what a FCH would get in the civil service.

What about consulting firms and tech companies?

Unregistered 22-05-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134850)
What about consulting firms and tech companies?

If u get into places like EDB & MAS, pay will be comparable to most MNCs

Unregistered 22-05-2020 07:38 PM

FCH does give one a good headstart in civil/public service. But moving forward depends on many considerations and its not a given. Note that there are heaps of postgrad Dips, Masters and PhDs in civil/public service and i shall leave it as that, on where FCH sits in the overall profile of academic achievements.

Unregistered 22-05-2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134876)
If u get into places like EDB & MAS, pay will be comparable to most MNCs

Are you sure on MAS?

Unregistered 23-05-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134907)
Are you sure on MAS?

I heard MAS pay is quite sick

Unregistered 23-05-2020 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134894)
FCH does give one a good headstart in civil/public service. But moving forward depends on many considerations and its not a given. Note that there are heaps of postgrad Dips, Masters and PhDs in civil/public service and i shall leave it as that, on where FCH sits in the overall profile of academic achievements.

What if someone had multiple academic awards (Dean's List/top student in their major/A Levels)? Do those matter or are they useless?

Unregistered 23-05-2020 07:03 PM

for govt job, usually it matters especially determining your first salary too. all got standard formula to compute one

Unregistered 23-05-2020 09:42 PM

I started in gov sector a few months ago as a fresh grad above 5K, but just want to say that it's not just about the pay. If you dont learn much and get stuck it's not such a good idea.

Unregistered 24-05-2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134936)
I heard MAS pay is quite sick

Sickly good?

I know of someone with 10 + years experience who joined a MNC from MAS.

Based on the MNC pay grade, can tell that MAS is really under paying. Unless the person joined the MNC with a huge pay cut.

Unregistered 24-05-2020 10:32 AM

in fresh grad perspective MAS pay is high for entry level..

but for someone working in MAS with at least 5 years exp.. the pay at the 5 year mark is just below average..

Unregistered 24-05-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134997)
in fresh grad perspective MAS pay is high for entry level..

but for someone working in MAS with at least 5 years exp.. the pay at the 5 year mark is just below average..

What's yr salary rprogression please?

Unregistered 24-05-2020 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134959)
What if someone had multiple academic awards (Dean's List/top student in their major/A Levels)? Do those matter or are they useless?

Any accolades that'll set you apart will definitely add brownie points in impressing your hiring manager. Especially olympiads and hackathons.

The place I'm working at has a knack for hiring student athletes even though some of them are pretty subpar in their academics.

Unregistered 24-05-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135067)
Any accolades that'll set you apart will definitely add brownie points in impressing your hiring manager. Especially olympiads and hackathons.

The place I'm working at has a knack for hiring student athletes even though some of them are pretty subpar in their academics.

private sector?

Unregistered 25-05-2020 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 135067)

This sounds awfully like Deloitte. LOL

sharon.yeo 25-05-2020 06:21 PM

It really depends on the type of role you take up in an MNC. Sales/BD/Marketing in general pay better than support functions like HR, simply because the former is a revenue-generating function, and the latter is a cost function (i.e. does not generate revenue for the company).

Many MNCs, and even some of the large tech companies, pay better than government at a fresh grad level, and have better pay progression. Especially if you are in a Management Associate Programme. After you get the job, progression would have nothing to do with your grades or FCH, and almost 100% on your performance.

However, it sounds like you have an inclination towards stability. So public sector may be a good fit. I've heard from some friends that your progression in the public sector may be capped depending on your educational qualifications, and whether you are a scholar or not.