Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Do most MNCs pay better than the civil service (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12661-do-most-mncs-pay-better-than-civil-service.html)

Unregistered 22-05-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemoney (Post 134758)
Honestly, I don't really have any career ambition whatsoever lol, I just hope to lead a comfortable life and support my parents in their retirement. I've read that to earn a lot in the private sector, I'll have to be among roughly the top 10% in performance and be thick-skinned in asking for promotions. To be very honest I don't think I'm capable of that. On the other hand, I've read that a FCH gets you pretty far in the civil service even with average performance, so I thought that'd be a safer choice. All that I've written is from reading the forums though, so they might not be entirely accurate.

On average, FCH in the civil service will earn more than a typical MNC employee, if that's what you're asking. A lot of people have dreams of making it big in an MNC but the truth is only the best performers earn a lot. The rest are likely to earn below what a FCH would get in the civil service.

Unregistered 22-05-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134848)
On average, FCH in the civil service will earn more than a typical MNC employee, if that's what you're asking. A lot of people have dreams of making it big in an MNC but the truth is only the best performers earn a lot. The rest are likely to earn below what a FCH would get in the civil service.

What about consulting firms and tech companies?

Unregistered 22-05-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134850)
What about consulting firms and tech companies?

If u get into places like EDB & MAS, pay will be comparable to most MNCs

Unregistered 22-05-2020 07:38 PM

FCH does give one a good headstart in civil/public service. But moving forward depends on many considerations and its not a given. Note that there are heaps of postgrad Dips, Masters and PhDs in civil/public service and i shall leave it as that, on where FCH sits in the overall profile of academic achievements.

Unregistered 22-05-2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134876)
If u get into places like EDB & MAS, pay will be comparable to most MNCs

Are you sure on MAS?

Unregistered 23-05-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134907)
Are you sure on MAS?

I heard MAS pay is quite sick

Unregistered 23-05-2020 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134894)
FCH does give one a good headstart in civil/public service. But moving forward depends on many considerations and its not a given. Note that there are heaps of postgrad Dips, Masters and PhDs in civil/public service and i shall leave it as that, on where FCH sits in the overall profile of academic achievements.

What if someone had multiple academic awards (Dean's List/top student in their major/A Levels)? Do those matter or are they useless?

Unregistered 23-05-2020 07:03 PM

for govt job, usually it matters especially determining your first salary too. all got standard formula to compute one

Unregistered 23-05-2020 09:42 PM

I started in gov sector a few months ago as a fresh grad above 5K, but just want to say that it's not just about the pay. If you dont learn much and get stuck it's not such a good idea.

Unregistered 24-05-2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134936)
I heard MAS pay is quite sick

Sickly good?

I know of someone with 10 + years experience who joined a MNC from MAS.

Based on the MNC pay grade, can tell that MAS is really under paying. Unless the person joined the MNC with a huge pay cut.