Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career progression of a DSTA Overseas Scholar? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12649-career-progression-defence-science-technology-agency-overseas-scholar.html)

brento 17-05-2020 12:34 PM

Career progression of a DSTA Overseas Scholar?

Hello guys,

I am thinking of whether to take up the DSTA scholarship to study Computer Science at University of Michigan, or remain in NUS without a scholarship. I am leaning towards DSO which is generally the more technical/R&D organization between DSO and DSTA and I am fine with the work they do (not super excited, but don't dislike it either).

How is the career (and salary) progression of a DSTA scholar in DSTA/DSO? Do they receive preferential treatment like many other gvt scholars? Also, if I decide to seek greener pastures after the bond, will my skills be transferable to the private sector?

Any other advice is welcome :)

Unregistered 17-05-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brento (Post 134391)
Hello guys,

I am thinking of whether to take up the DSTA scholarship to study Computer Science at University of Michigan, or remain in NUS without a scholarship. I am leaning towards DSO which is generally the more technical/R&D organization between DSO and DSTA and I am fine with the work they do (not super excited, but don't dislike it either).

How is the career (and salary) progression of a DSTA scholar in DSTA/DSO? Do they receive preferential treatment like many other gvt scholars? Also, if I decide to seek greener pastures after the bond, will my skills be transferable to the private sector?

Go the scholar route.
You can always leave and join DSO after you complete your bond with DSTA.

Unregistered 17-05-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brento (Post 134391)
Hello guys,

Due to covid-19 now the trend is everyone want to go be civil servant... not sure why u wanna go private... also based on the salary posted on the forum here, civil servant pay is so much higher than private sector.

Unregistered 17-05-2020 12:40 PM

It comes down to whether you want to be bonded, I personally wouldn't as your interest might change after 4 years in uni. Skills wise, it's hard to say if it's transferrable since it depends on where you are heading to after DSTA.

brento 17-05-2020 12:56 PM

I should clarify that as a DSTA Scholar I can choose to work in DSTA, DSO or CSIT

Unregistered 17-05-2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134394)
Due to covid-19 now the trend is everyone want to go be civil servant... not sure why u wanna go private... also based on the salary posted on the forum here, civil servant pay is so much higher than private sector.

True if you are comparing CS against SMEs. However, if you are an above average graduate from big 3 U (second upper, fch), and if you gain employment in MNCs or foreign banks, you can easily reach upwards of 150K pa with bonuses far greater than what the CS can offer. Not so easy for CS to hit 5 digit pm.

Unregistered 17-05-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134409)
True if you are comparing CS against SMEs. However, if you are an above average graduate from big 3 U (second upper, fch), and if you gain employment in MNCs or foreign banks, you can easily reach upwards of 150K pa with bonuses far greater than what the CS can offer. Not so easy for CS to hit 5 digit pm.

150K pa for fresh grad?

Unregistered 17-05-2020 08:04 PM

be a scholar. easier to go places later

Unregistered 17-05-2020 09:08 PM

When you're 40 yo and management considering to promote you to be director..
They will look at your resume and your colleagues resume..

Your dsta scholar will set you apart. Even if you don't work with dsta anymore.