Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Fresh grad 2020 (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12611-fresh-grad-2020-a.html)

sweetlovet 29-04-2020 06:11 PM

Fresh grad 2020

Anyone graduating this year have not found job? :(

Unregistered 29-04-2020 06:43 PM

Yes... you’re not alone. Have been ghosted/immediately rejected (probably due to frozen headcount) for almost all job applications.... Wbu?

Unregistered 29-04-2020 06:53 PM

Class of 2020 here, secured a job during q4 last year.
But there’s still uncertainty even though HR assured not affected.

Unregistered 29-04-2020 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132968)
Class of 2020 here, secured a job during q4 last year.
But there’s still uncertainty even though HR assured not affected.

which company?

Unregistered 29-04-2020 07:03 PM

Would like to know how many of you applied before covid?

Because shouldn't you have started way before covid (2H 2019) unless it got rescinded?

Unregistered 29-04-2020 07:43 PM

Got priority offer from one of the Big 4s last year Q4, but starting date got pushed back from July to September.

Unregistered 29-04-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132971)
which company?

Government linked..

Unregistered 29-04-2020 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132972)
Would like to know how many of you applied before covid?

Because shouldn't you have started way before covid (2H 2019) unless it got rescinded?

As far as I know, smu/ntu/nus should officially only graduate by June.. how to start ?

Unregistered 29-04-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132976)
Government linked..

Should be pretty safe?

Unregistered 29-04-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132977)
As far as I know, smu/ntu/nus should officially only graduate by June.. how to start ?

Many offers were already given out before there was even a thing called covid...

unless those offers got rescinded

Unregistered 29-04-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 132977)

start as in start applying way before covid, like early last year

Unregistered 30-04-2020 11:03 AM

well, not everyone do act way ahead.

Let's focus on the discussion on getting a job in this bad situation instead of dwelling over the past
Not a 2020 graduate, but wish all the best for you all!

Unregistered 30-04-2020 03:03 PM

Fortunate to have gotten a job. Applied this year before the covid situation went into full swing...

Unregistered 30-04-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133009)
Fortunate to have gotten a job. Applied this year before the covid situation went into full swing...

Banks? Or what industry is it.

Unregistered 30-04-2020 04:42 PM

i found a job as a financial advisor! this is the best time to sell insurance trust me

Unregistered 30-04-2020 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133015)
i found a job as a financial advisor! this is the best time to sell insurance trust me

This kind of job isnt it given out like flyers?

Unregistered 30-04-2020 07:15 PM

Those got job also don't so fast happy.

Alot of companies with senior and existing staff already having pay cut. Bonus cut. Freeze hiring means 1 person do multiple peoples job.

Those who haven't found job and can afford it should still enjoy the student status.
Or take up those training sponsored by university.

Now is not the best time to join work force.

Unregistered 30-04-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133026)

Alot of companies with senior and existing staff already having pay cut. Bonus cut. Freeze hiring means 1 person do multiple peoples job.

Those who haven't found job and can afford it should still enjoy the student status.

you're ****ing stupid. if can get a job, secure it.

think of your bloody ROI

Unregistered 30-04-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133026)

LOL yes just study till you never earn anything in life.

Unregistered 30-04-2020 11:55 PM

If company offer you 2.5k fresh grad will you take? Next year you probably 2.6k to 2.8k.

But if you join work force next year when things are normal. You can easily ask for 3.5k

Think my bois

Unregistered 01-05-2020 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133040)
If company offer you 2.5k fresh grad will you take? Next year you probably 2.6k to 2.8k.

But if you join work force next year when things are normal. You can easily ask for 3.5k

Think my bois

That's fking dumb, do you think HR would prefer 1 year experience or 1 year zuo bo lan. You can always jump to the company offering 3.5K

Unregistered 01-05-2020 12:35 AM

Most yp are working as temperature scanners and even in such a benign job they all getting into trouble.

Others are making rudimentary carousell scams and being sent to jail.

That's all I read about this batch of youngsters on the news.

Unregistered 01-05-2020 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133014)
Banks? Or what industry is it.

Public sector. Banks arent doing very great rn. I heard that some offers were rescinded....

Unregistered 01-05-2020 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133044)
That's fking dumb, do you think HR would prefer 1 year experience or 1 year zuo bo lan. You can always jump to the company offering 3.5K

This shows your ignorance. HR job is not to give you the best money you deserve, but rather it is to give you the lowest the company can get away with. Other company will offer you based on your current pay slip. They don't care what is "market" salary, they will say things like you are asking 30% increment, that's too much.

So in another words, you worked 1 year extra at lower pay. And exactly at the same place as a fresh grad next year.

Unregistered 01-05-2020 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133050)
This shows your ignorance. HR job is not to give you the best money you deserve, but rather it is to give you the lowest the company can get away with. Other company will offer you based on your current pay slip. They don't care what is "market" salary, they will say things like you are asking 30% increment, that's too much.

So in another words, you worked 1 year extra at lower pay. And exactly at the same place as a fresh grad next year.

And this shows your level of stupidity. Lol, I'm astounded..

Unregistered 01-05-2020 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133063)

if his talking about private sector,its true.they will use last drawn +10 to max 20%.

So if you current hold a position that holds 3,000 and do to virus or wat and u lost job..U find another one just to fill in 1 year or so.ur salary is 2.5.they will use current drawn (which is 2500+ add 10 to 20%) when u find back a full perm position

Thats how private sector works..

If in public sector, most likely he return to his "actual" job after the period while working on other one. He will actually get more than 3,000. HR for public sector follow what the uni test book says one.

The reasons why alot ppl say hr things cant be applied from textbook in real life is because alot hr spoil/market. They don follow one

Unregistered 01-05-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133063)

Please. My sister is HR manager in one of the MNC. This wisdom she share with me.
She also said if they can't justify matching the market salary then they will use the education cert excuse, the...not all uni are created equal. If the degree holder is 2nd upper same. Then it's the different courses.

If that cannot, then it's the lower gross but higher bonus package. Aws etc. But when come to bonus, it's little either bad performance or didn't meet expectation.

Unregistered 01-05-2020 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133067)
Please. My sister is HR manager in one of the MNC. This wisdom she share with me.
She also said if they can't justify matching the market salary then they will use the education cert excuse, the...not all uni are created equal. If the degree holder is 2nd upper same. Then it's the different courses.

If that cannot, then it's the lower gross but higher bonus package. Aws etc. But when come to bonus, it's little either bad performance or didn't meet expectation.

Yes its true. Taking a contract job may not be the best idea. And its not as someone said - equivalent to a 1 year probation. Contract jobs exists because there is a project requirement and they need the headcount temporarily. Think maternity covers or things like that - of course HR wont tell u its a maternity cover.

After the proj ends, theres no guarantee they will retain you to perm or extend your contract. Perm jobs are different - they exist to fill a BAU requirement that needs to be performed regularly.

Its rrally hard to fail probation in a perm role unless you screw up big time.

If you take a contract, future employers can use that to leverage against your demands. As perm jobs are more in demand, they may even offer you at par salary because you will be the one desperate to get a job after the contract ends. Its diff from perm job going to another perm job because at the end of the day, if you dont accept their offer, you still have your old job. So employers have to offer u more to entice u to come over.

Unregistered 01-05-2020 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133067)

that's why HR sucks. because of people like your sis

Unregistered 01-05-2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unregistered (Post 133092)
that's why hr sucks. Because of people like your sis

hahahahahahha

Unregistered 01-05-2020 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133092)

Yeah. I needed his his before. Have a smelly puss.

Unregistered 01-05-2020 10:33 PM

Quote:

Yeah. I piak his sis before. And realised she has smelly puss.

Unregistered 01-05-2020 10:53 PM

Stop abusin my sister.

It's not she who come up with the policy. It's the HR department under the HR manager who drew up the policy under the direction of the company.

Unregistered 01-05-2020 10:56 PM

She also share with me that different department have different budget.
Sometimes even if they get a super good 1st class honors but recruited in the "lower" value department will end up getting offered less than a 2nd upper in a more "high value" department.

Its all about cost and budget. So she always tell me joih those money making department cause they can pay for the em0lpyee. Don't join those maintenance or support or backend kind.

Unregistered 03-05-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133110)
She also share with me that different department have different budget.
Sometimes even if they get a super good 1st class honors but recruited in the "lower" value department will end up getting offered less than a 2nd upper in a more "high value" department.

Its all about cost and budget. So she always tell me joih those money making department cause they can pay for the em0lpyee. Don't join those maintenance or support or backend kind.

gov sector also like this?!!

Unregistered 03-05-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

that's why HR sucks...

noob spotted, what is the real function of HR that the company assign to them? What expectations does management for HR? To give employees highest salary and reduce profits??

Unregistered 03-05-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133030)
you're ****ing stupid. if can get a job, secure it.

think of your bloody ROI

Not as simple as thinking of ROI.

If you can get any job, but that job has a **** starting pay, your lifetime salary potential is going to be hobbled because of that. SG companies are generally **** when it comes to salary increments and promotions, so if you start from a lower rung you're ****ed no matter how "talented" or "valuable" you are because companies won't up your wages more than what they call "industry standards for wage increments".

Unregistered 03-05-2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133189)
noob spotted, what is the real function of HR that the company assign to them? What expectations does management for HR? To give employees highest salary and reduce profits??

no, it's the exact opposite. to reduce cost and get shitty employees in (sarcasm, but evidently a reality today). HR is a huge waste of cost because they are not doing their job properly.

you obviously have no experience working in HR/dealing with HR

Unregistered 03-05-2020 10:20 PM

I say wait until job market normalise. Then take the normal pay job. Why rush into working?

It's for life. You'll have to work like 20 to 30 years. Or until you die. So what is 1 year off.

Unregistered 03-05-2020 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133200)
no, it's the exact opposite. to reduce cost and get shitty employees in (sarcasm, but evidently a reality today). HR is a huge waste of cost because they are not doing their job properly.

you obviously have no experience working in HR/dealing with HR

What is HR job anyway? To find you the best candidate? That's more like the job of the people who interview. And recommend to hire or not.

That's why alot of people fake interview but hired liao. This cannot do that cannot do. Turns out imposter syndrome