Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Biomedical Engineering ..what are the prospects (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1253-biomedical-engineering-what-prospects.html)

LOHAS 07-03-2011 01:18 PM

Biomedical Engineering ..what are the prospects

hi

i graduated with a diploma of chemical engineering.. and after working in a pharma company for about 3 years.. i thought of furthering my studies ..

biomedical engineering is one of my choice.. do you guys think there is any prospects for this in the further singapore?

anyone has any experience to share?
hows the starting pay for biomedical engineer like?
is the job market big?

thanks!

miwashi 07-03-2011 05:34 PM

Didn't NUS stop offering the course 2 or 3 years after it started? Not sure how long they took actually but my friend was in the first batch.

LOHAS 07-03-2011 08:02 PM

omg you serious?

then what other courses (part time) has prospects in the market nowadays?

Unregistered 07-03-2011 08:13 PM

I suggest you take a degree in Chemical Engineering and do a minor or a specialization in life science or bio stuff. If your major is too specialized, it will be hard to get a job in other fields. On the other hand, your minor or specialization can give you an advantage in the specific industry you want to enter.

Just like it's better to take a Mechanical Engineering with a specialization in Aerospace then a Aerospace Engineering degree.

Ads for Biomedical Engineer are few and far between.

LOHAS 07-03-2011 09:18 PM

hmm but i did a diploma in chemical engineering.. not to be bias against females.. but what i see is that mostly they hire males as a chemical engineer.. and i am a female..
so i foresee that it will be hard to find a job in future when i graduate.. thats why i didnt want to study chemical engineering as my part time degree...

chnrxn 08-03-2011 01:03 AM

???? Many of my female schoolmates are chemical engineers. I'm not a ChemEng myself, but this is definitely one area where there is less gender bias, compared to Civil or Mechanical where you might be able to argue about different physiques (if at all).

Biomedical? Be prepared to wash test tubes unless you get a PhD. Note: I did not coin this phrase! And yes, ads for biomed are far and few in-between.

chnrxn 08-03-2011 01:04 AM

Why not take a business or management degree and go into sales or similar in a "Chemical" company? Might be better.

LOHAS 08-03-2011 01:18 AM

hmm i decided chemical engineering is not my field of interest.. all those reactors and all.. hmm no..

take a business degree? i am looking at SIM part time.. so.. SIM only has bachelor in business...
hows the job prospects? is it good?

chnrxn 08-03-2011 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOHAS (Post 10064)
hmm i decided chemical engineering is not my field of interest.. all those reactors and all.. hmm no..

take a business degree? i am looking at SIM part time.. so.. SIM only has bachelor in business...
hows the job prospects? is it good?

reactors???!!! I know I'm no expert but I'm quite sure not every Chem eng related job uses them.
Please take the time to talk to more people who know more.

for example, a civil eng grad doesn't necessarily have to work on construction sites. he/she can work at LTA in transport planning for example.

you have to expand your context. think through this carefully.

LOHAS 08-03-2011 09:33 AM

hmm i was saying the course "chemical engineering" itself is damn hard to study..have to study about the reactors and the process flow...
so i thought of studying sth simpler..