Computer science prospects in SG - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Computer science prospects in SG

Old 06-03-2011, 12:59 PM

ballacksanjay is on a distinguished road
Default Computer science prospects in SG

Hi all, I have just received my a level results and currently deciding whether to go computer science or mechanical engineering in NTU. Although i have more interest in computer science, i am worried that there may be few job opportunities due to massive outsourcing to foreigners especially from India. I am thinking of working for 1-2 years after my degree. After that i would apply for masters in computing and work for 2 more years before going to a MBA in business. My ultimate aim is to shift from software to finance in the future. But my dilemma is whether i should apply for computer science or mechanical engineering for my degree as i am worried about the job prospects for IT in Singapore. Anyone please offer me your guidance and suggestions. I am open to all.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballacksanjay View Post
Hi all, I have just received my a level results and currently deciding whether to go computer science or mechanical engineering in NTU. Although i have more interest in computer science, i am worried that there may be few job opportunities due to massive outsourcing to foreigners especially from India. I am thinking of working for 1-2 years after my degree. After that i would apply for masters in computing and work for 2 more years before going to a MBA in business. My ultimate aim is to shift from software to finance in the future. But my dilemma is whether i should apply for computer science or mechanical engineering for my degree as i am worried about the job prospects for IT in Singapore. Anyone please offer me your guidance and suggestions. I am open to all.
Computer science should have better prospects. Start in software and move into consulting, presales or sales. Or move into finance.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Computer science should have better prospects. Start in software and move into consulting, presales or sales. Or move into finance.
OIC thx but is a bachelors degree in computer science enough? or should i apply for masters in computing after my bachelors? And may i ask how to move to finance? Is it accomplished by doing a MBA in business?

Old 06-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
One more thing. Is there demand for local gradutes in computer science in Singapore? since there is so much competition from foreigners who are willing to work for longer hours at lower pay.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:19 PM
JOAT

If you have interest in finance, why not take a Business Degree instead of Computer Science, so that you can go straight to work in finance and get the relevant experience. Just curious why you want to take a one big round to go finance.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Forseer

Don't waste your education in finance. Anybody can get into finance regardless of background, your education in Computer Science will be a technical degree which is of value regardless of whether you stay in the field or not. Almost any bank or large financial institutions recruit non-finance graduates for most of their positions.

Also, i expect the importance of finance in the world to shrink back to normal levels once the superbubble in US bursts. Remember, in finance you do not create anything, you merely leech of society. And ofcourse nobody is going to listen to a random forum poster, atleast take heed from Jim Rogers

"On November 4, 2010, at Oxford University’s Balliol College, he urged students to scrap career plans for Wall Street or the City, London’s financial district, and to study agriculture and mining instead. “The power is shifting again from the financial centers to the producers of real goods. The place to be is in commodities, raw materials, natural resources. Don’t go to Harvard Business School. If you want to make fortunes and come back and donate large sums of money to Balliol you’re not going to do it if you get an MBA." Quoted from wikipedia

Old 06-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseer View Post
Don't waste your education in finance. Anybody can get into finance regardless of background, your education in Computer Science will be a technical degree which is of value regardless of whether you stay in the field or not. Almost any bank or large financial institutions recruit non-finance graduates for most of their positions.

Also, i expect the importance of finance in the world to shrink back to normal levels once the superbubble in US bursts. Remember, in finance you do not create anything, you merely leech of society. And ofcourse nobody is going to listen to a random forum poster, atleast take heed from Jim Rogers

"On November 4, 2010, at Oxford University’s Balliol College, he urged students to scrap career plans for Wall Street or the City, London’s financial district, and to study agriculture and mining instead. “The power is shifting again from the financial centers to the producers of real goods. The place to be is in commodities, raw materials, natural resources. Don’t go to Harvard Business School. If you want to make fortunes and come back and donate large sums of money to Balliol you’re not going to do it if you get an MBA." Quoted from wikipedia
It's hard to say. Switzerland has been doing well for almost forever doing asset management.

Jim Rogers is a bit of an extremist if you go by the things he says. Moreover, he himself made a fortune in trading and investments. He just wants smart people to produce good commodities with high productivity so his investments in commodities will go up.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Forseer

Less than 5% of those in the finance industry could invest/trade profitably if they lost their jobs tomorrow. Trading is a game where the 5-10% make all the money from the remaining 90-95%.

It is simply not possible to have a world where everyone moves to the finance sector, a sector which on its own has no value. That does not mean that im discouraging people from going into the finance sector, i plan to move into it in the near term too.

Wallstreet is only surviving now because of the bailouts from the US government, but who is going to bailout the US? All im saying is that when the time comes for it's decline, the Computer Science degree will be of far more value than a finance degree or MBA.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:59 PM
JOAT

Default eanyv ABBOTS

I think that is rather extreme and narrow minded. In finance there are many areas you can explore. Like insurance, corporate financing, consumer banking, investment and e.tc, so the areas are very broad. Yes, it is not necessay to go in finance without a finance degree but most of them are sales related jobs or jobs that are related to technology field (IT). Why limit your choice if you can do analysis, actuarial, accounts, compliance, investment, loans and e.tc.

Forseer statement is very much like scripts from "Wall Street" that finance do not create anything. Which I think it is trying to refer to people that are greedy and leverage unscrupulous on others for their own financial benefits. Again in the area of finance it is very broad, do not stereotype.

I do not think it is right to villify finance industry as they still create value to the society. There is insurance to protect yourself and family, hedging to protect your business, stocks/commodities/reits/bonds to grow your wealth, loans to buy house/car, corporate finance to provide loan for company to expand and helping company to get listed to grow their business. Also, Jim Rogers is just one person and he views are always extreme for instance he said "India as we know it will not survive another 30 or 40 years". Which I believe most of the academics that have done research on India economy will totally disagree. One more contradiction is that he is still a Finance Investor, if Finance is so bad why is he still in this this line. Utter BS. Also, he just started an investment fund called "The Rogers Global Resources Equity Index", Which is still related to finance!

I hope that people do not post extreme personal view that hope to influence others to have the same thoughts. Instead, we should provide valuable insights and help them explore their interest.

To "ballacksanjay", the most important thing is to know what you really want in life. I agree with "Unregistered" post, it is preferably that you go into IT sales, presales or consulting as these position are usually held by locals and are quite well paid (it might be subjective though). To get into these role you might need to work a few years as a software engineer/ network engineer/Tester/Support/Implementor. Of course, some might also start as an associate consultant in Seimens, Accenture, IBM, e.t.c. It really depends on grades and uni.

I know that you are worried of having difficulties to find a job with a Computer Science degree but no worries, with local degree and good honours, I think you will have no problem landing a job in either Private or Public sector. Only you will understand yourself well enough to know whether you have strong interest and do well in the field of Computer Science.

Also you need to know why you want to go into finance. Money or interest or job security?

If Money
In general comparison, finance is better paid. Again, it depends on which area you choose.

Else If Interest
Do a Finance related Degree

Else if job security
Depends. nobody gurantee that. Some people prefer to be an Accountant. Some will graduate with any degree and go into public sector.

Hope my explainations help.

Good Luck in your self exploration.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:13 PM
JOAT

I think Foreseer is rather self contradicting. You claim that you are not discouraging people but yet you advise others dun waste their time in having a finance degree and finance creates no value (this definitely seems discouraging to everyone who intends to go in finance sector). But yourself are going into the finance sector. Reminds me of Jim Rogers to me. Could you explain why are you still going into a sector declared by you as "No Value" ,"Shrinking Sector" , "no job security". In short, what aspired you to be a "leech"(by your definition).