Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Recruitment Agency hounding me for money after I changed my mind about a job offer. (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12515-recruitment-agency-hounding-me-money-after-i-changed-my-mind-about-job-offer.html)

AccidentallyAgain 28-03-2020 03:49 PM

Recruitment Agency hounding me for money after I changed my mind about a job offer.

First off, let me be clear in admitting that I am an idiot. Yes, I should have been more anal when I was signing documents and asked a lot of questions. I am currently working a job with a low pay, and recently had the opportunity to go for a job interview for a much higher pay. I was so happy when I got the offer and so I accepted, but then due to various reasons, I changed my mind.

Now, the agency is asking me for money (1 month plus worth of offer) as compensation for changing my mind. Because, the second I verbally agreed to the offer, I cannot change my mind without being penalised. I am considered to be in breach of an agreement to service (failure to commence). This is bad for me as the offer is a big jump from my current pay. I am living paycheck to paycheck and simply can't afford to pay the amount they are asking for.

I have since offered to work at the company since my date of commence is still awhile away. The agency wants to talk to me on the phone but at this point I rather everything be in written form where it can be recorded.

I've seen some people post here about being summoned to Small Claims Tribunal court but not much have shared the outcome.

Unregistered 28-03-2020 04:08 PM

There's something about recruitment agencies. For both candidates and hiring companies, seems they are quite money minded.

No empathy. But I guess they are sales organizations at the end of the day, candidates' and companies' satisfaction is very low on the list. All agencies claim to be the best anyway.

But it's a good thing you're trying to get everything written, talking to them when they're demanding money is the same as talking to debt collectors. Maybe less than stellar advice, I'd just hold my ground, don't pay out of fear. It's preferable to get into official litigation vs. feeling so shitty abt ppl hounding you. At least you'll know the lawful outcome and then work things out.

Unregistered 28-03-2020 04:12 PM

If its purely verbal offer you can rescind as there is no official agreement. Recruitment agencies are damn cb in giving false threats

Unregistered 27-10-2020 10:38 PM

Upz for that bushido guy

Unregistered 25-12-2021 12:13 PM

Hi, can I check did u pay for compensation? I just came across this and need some advice? I have sign with the clause saying if I renege after signing of the recruiter LOA and reject, they have to seek $3k compensation. This happen 6 months ago and recruiter now threaten to commence action if I do not pay. Will recruiter sue me?

Anyone encountered this before and any advise?

Unregistered 28-12-2021 06:10 PM

My friend just signed the LOA with this recruiter which have the clause (if renege after acceptance of the job via signing have to pay 1 month salary compensation) he regretted and scare there this recruiter will sue. I just went to Google (refer to the link below) about this recruiter, I see the reviews saying the agent will seek compensation for the details indicated. How? Any advise? Anyone have sign with this recruiter before? Any outcome?

Unregistered 02-01-2022 02:52 PM

June:

I was finding job through a recruiter, let's call them 'C'. C offered me a job and I accepted the offer via signing of C LOA. But I had a change of mind, and eventually told C that I'm not interested, and did not turn up at the client's place to sign the letter of appointment (LOA).

7 Nov:

C dropped me an email to recover the cost and I continued to ignore.

16 Dec:

C dropped me an email again to ask for preferred date & time for mediation and if I do not reply by the deadline given, C would commence legal proceedings against me.

27 Dec:

I have filed a report to TAFEP against C.

I have phone call mediation with C and C mentioned can only allowed 5% discount for lump sum payment or 3 months instalment. But I negotiated to 12 month installment or 50% goodwill discount.

28 Dec:

C dropped me an email that 12 months installment or 50% goodwill discount is rejected. C offered a 5 months instalment and first payment has to be paid by 29 Dec. However I dropped an email to insist on 12 months instalment

29 Dec:

C managed to approve the 12 months installment and to be paid by 30 Dec, if not C would commence legal proceedings against me.

TAFEP dropped an email to C for investigation and C sent me an email to inform me not to pay for any installment to fully cooperate with TAFEP. Not even 2 hours later, I received an email from C about Small Claim Tribunal (SCT) against me.

30 Dec:

I have made the 1st installment.

What should I do?

Unregistered 02-01-2022 09:50 PM

June:

I was finding job through a recruiter, let's call them 'C'. C offered me a job and I accepted the offer via signing of C LOA. But I had a change of mind, and eventually told C that I'm not interested, and did not turn up at the client's place to sign the letter of appointment (LOA). I have signed the clause stated if i renege the job offer after signing of the LOA, I have to pay 1 month salary compensation

7 Nov:

C dropped me an email to recover the cost and I continued to ignore.

16 Dec:

C dropped me an email again to ask for preferred date & time for mediation and if I do not reply by the deadline given, C would commence legal proceedings against me.

27 Dec:

I have filed a report to TAFEP against C.

I have phone call mediation with C and C mentioned can only allowed 5% discount for lump sum payment or 3 months instalment. But I negotiated to 12 month installment or 50% goodwill discount.

28 Dec:

C dropped me an email that 12 months installment or 50% goodwill discount is rejected. C offered a 5 months instalment and first payment has to be paid by 29 Dec. However I dropped an email to insist on 12 months instalment

29 Dec:

C managed to approve the 12 months installment and to be paid by 30 Dec, if not C would commence legal proceedings against me.

TAFEP dropped an email to C for investigation and C sent me an email to inform me not to pay for any installment to fully cooperate with TAFEP. Not even 2 hours later, I received an email from C about Small Claim Tribunal (SCT) against me.

30 Dec:

I have made the 1st installment.

What should I do?