Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Gap year, Sabbatical (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12352-gap-year-sabbatical.html)

pimexa 27-01-2020 11:56 AM

Gap year, Sabbatical

Has anyone taken such breaks before? Be it before Uni, after Uni, in the middle of your career.

Was it hard to get back to school / work after that? Share your experience!

Unregistered 27-01-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimexa (Post 128352)
Has anyone taken such breaks before? Be it before Uni, after Uni, in the middle of your career.

Was it hard to get back to school / work after that? Share your experience!

I have friends taken leave of absence to cope with immediate psychiatric issues.
Suffice to say they come back more refreshed and able to graduate and doing fine in their career now

Some times taking a break is essential.

Unregistered 27-01-2020 08:28 PM

Heard of people who took gap year to do working holiday in NZ

Unregistered 27-01-2020 09:24 PM

Better not. You might contract the Wuhan virus.

Besides, some like myself would kill to be able to go back in time and correct poor decisions (e.g. going to poly instead of JC, working in hopeless SMEs etc.) which resulted in lost years in terms of career progression. Time may seem abundant to you now, but dont squander it.

When I was younger I thought that those who lived to work were losers. I was too naive. Take Iit from me, in high cost Singapore, if you don't live to work, you will never live.

Unregistered 28-01-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128363)
Better not. You might contract the Wuhan virus.

Besides, some like myself would kill to be able to go back in time and correct poor decisions (e.g. going to poly instead of JC, working in hopeless SMEs etc.) which resulted in lost years in terms of career progression. Time may seem abundant to you now, but dont squander it.

When I was younger I thought that those who lived to work were losers. I was too naive. Take Iit from me, in high cost Singapore, if you don't live to work, you will never live.

Have you taken a gap year before?

Unregistered 30-01-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128382)
Have you taken a gap year before?

Nope I'm thankful I did not. In my current shoes, I would consider taking a gap year a regret and a mistake.

Better to look towards a nice holiday when you retire, after you have earned it.

Unregistered 30-01-2020 12:38 PM

i did.

opp cost was easily $100k :(

Unregistered 30-01-2020 05:11 PM

both ways looking at it

while u are older u will never do the things that u are able to do while u are younger

time is money, money is time
u are trading money for time.

Unregistered 30-01-2020 10:24 PM

Opportunity cost should be amortized over the remaining years of your expected life. Earlier you do a sabbatical, the less painful the opportunity cost is.

Unregistered 30-01-2020 11:51 PM

don\'t be stupid as to take a sabbatical.

if u are tired, just take a two week break and go on a cruise holiday somewhere. that is rejuvenating enough.