Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Midlife Crisis/Transformation Career Switch

Old 06-02-2022, 12:54 PM

Cleinad is on a distinguished road
Smile Midlife Crisis/Transformation Career Switch

Hi folks,

Chanced upon this forum while researching for midlife career switch info/blogs and thought this is an excellent platform to discuss and share our experience in changing your career direction in your 30s, 40s?

Anyone?

For starters, I've spent the past 15 years in marketing communications and from my last stint, I came to the frightening conclusion that the marketing/advertising/social media role is a young person's game as it the advertising industry is youth-obsessed and ever flickering - it IS fashion, and if you don't know and look the part (eg Facebook is for old people, if you don't know that), then naturally there will be stereotypes and age biaseness against you as a marketer, no matter how well you know your expertise, cuz, err, you have grey hair sprouting out of your hair and you have long-sightedness.

All these are happening to me, and I realised that, crap, I had been in the wrong vocation all these while and if I'm honest, I'm regretting it though the years in the marketing world has been an adventure and an eye-opening experience. Now, I don't think it was a complete waste of time dabbling in the creative arts and the segmentation science, but what I had faced was ageism in the corporate world and I feel that it is actually better off starting a career in the direction that is sustainable for the long term.

Any marketers out here....thoughts? Or if you had made a career switch from a marketing-related role, please feel free to share your perspectives! Much appreciated!

Old 06-02-2022, 01:48 PM

sinkingfeeling is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleinad View Post
Hi folks,

Chanced upon this forum while researching for midlife career switch info/blogs and thought this is an excellent platform to discuss and share our experience in changing your career direction in your 30s, 40s?

Anyone?

For starters, I've spent the past 15 years in marketing communications and from my last stint, I came to the frightening conclusion that the marketing/advertising/social media role is a young person's game as it the advertising industry is youth-obsessed and ever flickering - it IS fashion, and if you don't know and look the part (eg Facebook is for old people, if you don't know that), then naturally there will be stereotypes and age biaseness against you as a marketer, no matter how well you know your expertise, cuz, err, you have grey hair sprouting out of your hair and you have long-sightedness.

All these are happening to me, and I realised that, crap, I had been in the wrong vocation all these while and if I'm honest, I'm regretting it though the years in the marketing world has been an adventure and an eye-opening experience. Now, I don't think it was a complete waste of time dabbling in the creative arts and the segmentation science, but what I had faced was ageism in the corporate world and I feel that it is actually better off starting a career in the direction that is sustainable for the long term.

Any marketers out here....thoughts? Or if you had made a career switch from a marketing-related role, please feel free to share your perspectives! Much appreciated!
There are many PMETs, not just in marketing field, who made a successful switch to private hire industry. Some even made the switch to cardboard picking industry later in life.

Old 06-02-2022, 03:23 PM
Unregistered

Can consider be a property agent. In many other sectors you may experience drastic pay cut even if you don't mind reporting to someone much younger.

Old 06-02-2022, 04:28 PM
Verified Member

blahxxx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi folks,

Anyone?

I am nowhere close to your position, but what do you think about the sales role?
Old 07-02-2022, 01:42 PM
jyc

Default Consider these jobs if you are looking for a change

If you are looking for a career switch or a job to tide over, do check out CALL LADE ENTERPRISES PTE LTD, a 30-year old company in Singapore, at calllade.com/jobs-in-singapore/.

They have a range of jobs available for Singaporeans and PR's.

Call or Whatsapp Junaide or Jonathan at 98866959 for more information on the most updated joining bonus and incentives.

calllade.com/
Old 07-02-2022, 03:17 PM
Unregistered

Hi there,

I guess you could try out new things ,like going for different courses and learning new stuffs. If you are not into deskbound office jobs like me, you can try other non office jobs.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi folks,

Anyone?

To be sure....almost all industries prefer younger, relatively cheaper workers over older, more experienced hence more expensive workers...that is how the world, esp SG is.....ageism is real
Old 07-02-2022, 10:17 PM
Unregistered

Ageism is real in the world, especially in SG....almost all companies prefer younger, cheaper compared to older, more expensive workers....
Old 07-02-2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Can consider be a property agent. In many other sectors you may experience drastic pay cut even if you don't mind reporting to someone much younger.
Actually I've tried being an insurance agent many years back, and I hated direct selling lol

I actually don't mind reporting to someone much younger as long as s/he has the expertise and experience and a pay cut to start a new career path I believe in
Old 07-02-2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi there,

I guess you could try out new things ,like going for different courses and learning new stuffs. If you are not into deskbound office jobs like me, you can try other non office jobs.
ya, already on multiple courses (coursera) to upgrade myself in different areas which are generic like Google Project Management (6 months course...i cheong in 2 months) and Six Sigma Yellow Belt. I did random business courses while trying to find out what are my career interests and career expectations etc