Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

High Finance Thread

Old 13-05-2022, 04:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
~12k/month before bonuses
Thats... very attractive. Do most people who get hired come from local uni? I'm deliberating over an oversea uni, and I'm running with the assumption that I won't be able to secure a job overseas. Don't think its worth it financially unless I wouldn't be able to get the same roles coming from local

Old 13-05-2022, 05:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thats... very attractive. Do most people who get hired come from local uni? I'm deliberating over an oversea uni, and I'm running with the assumption that I won't be able to secure a job overseas. Don't think its worth it financially unless I wouldn't be able to get the same roles coming from local
Most IB analysts see about ~10k/month before bonuses, similar to most traders and FO peeps.

However, what you dont see is the sheer amount of competition you will be facing, i believe each year the amount of ppl admitted into high finance are prolly double digits-low triple digits at most.

Adding on to that, for most FO peeps, they are set on the path from Y1 onwards and the checklist starts being cleared: Good GPA, multiple case comps (with wins), multiple FO internships, multiple networking sessions, multiple CCAs etc.

Finally adding on top of all that, the pay is good but you can forget mostly about having a life, expect 12 hr days on average.

Old 13-05-2022, 05:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
IB FO, SWE and etc are quite ok with hiring local graduates.

If you are thinking about the monetary aspect of things (assuming no overseas scholarship), local universities will be fine. But I am sure you have other considerations in mind when deciding uni

Old 13-05-2022, 05:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Most IB analysts see about ~10k/month before bonuses, similar to most traders and FO peeps.

However, what you dont see is the sheer amount of competition you will be facing, i believe each year the amount of ppl admitted into high finance are prolly double digits-low triple digits at most.

Adding on to that, for most FO peeps, they are set on the path from Y1 onwards and the checklist starts being cleared: Good GPA, multiple case comps (with wins), multiple FO internships, multiple networking sessions, multiple CCAs etc.

Finally adding on top of all that, the pay is good but you can forget mostly about having a life, expect 12 hr days on average.
I'm okay with that. I just went through a college admission cycle where I saw almost everyone getting into top US schools have their path set 4 years in advance, or something. I got lucky but either way, I'll have to commit to the job grind early.

The one i dunno about is which country to do this in. If I go overseas, there's obviously high upside, at the cost of not having $ for any postgrad or not being able to secure overseas internships. I think then I'd be at a disadvantage relative to top local uni students because zero network.

But then if I stay in SG, the upside = cheaper but not by that much, and a good springboard for grad programs and fellowships. But then if I'm unable to do well locally...

I wouldn't be surprised if <30 people make it to BB/EB IB each year
Old 13-05-2022, 07:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm okay with that. I just went through a college admission cycle where I saw almost everyone getting into top US schools have their path set 4 years in advance, or something. I got lucky but either way, I'll have to commit to the job grind early.

The one i dunno about is which country to do this in. If I go overseas, there's obviously high upside, at the cost of not having $ for any postgrad or not being able to secure overseas internships. I think then I'd be at a disadvantage relative to top local uni students because zero network.

But then if I stay in SG, the upside = cheaper but not by that much, and a good springboard for grad programs and fellowships. But then if I'm unable to do well locally...

I wouldn't be surprised if <30 people make it to BB/EB IB each year

The number of people recruited for BB front office roles is far lower than what is outlined by you. You have to graduate with a first from Nus/Ntu/Smu with wins in case competitions or relevant internship. For highly regarded unis/targeted schools, a good 2nd upper or its equivalent should be fine. On top of academic, successful candidates must demonstrate interest, aptitude, intelligence, leadership and the right personality for the job. In short, the requirements are highly demanding which explains why too few make the cut each year.
Old 13-05-2022, 10:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The number of people recruited for BB front office roles is far lower than what is outlined by you. You have to graduate with a first from Nus/Ntu/Smu with wins in case competitions or relevant internship. For highly regarded unis/targeted schools, a good 2nd upper or its equivalent should be fine. On top of academic, successful candidates must demonstrate interest, aptitude, intelligence, leadership and the right personality for the job. In short, the requirements are highly demanding which explains why too few make the cut each year.
The no. of people who make the cut each year has nothing to do with the requirements. If there is only a team of stubs applying that year, they will still hire them. In any case, 30 in Singapore didn't sound that much if you are not just referring to capital market roles and M&A roles (sales, trading, research).

To the other person, and on universities - If you didn't do well, it doesn't matter whether it is local or overseas university. I assume that you didn't get a scholarship. Just think about your financial means, and whether you want an overseas education. It doesn't change how hirable you are in Singapore that much and I will consider other stuff instead. And to be honest if you studied overseas, you might not necessarily want to work in Singapore for your first job. The mentality changes.

Old 14-05-2022, 02:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The no. of people who make the cut each year has nothing to do with the requirements. If there is only a team of stubs applying that year, they will still hire them. In any case, 30 in Singapore didn't sound that much if you are not just referring to capital market roles and M&A roles (sales, trading, research).

To the other person, and on universities - If you didn't do well, it doesn't matter whether it is local or overseas university. I assume that you didn't get a scholarship. Just think about your financial means, and whether you want an overseas education. It doesn't change how hirable you are in Singapore that much and I will consider other stuff instead. And to be honest if you studied overseas, you might not necessarily want to work in Singapore for your first job. The mentality changes.
I assume I can't work overseas. Do you think students coming from non-supertargets (so like... northwestern, ucl, Mich Ross) have difficulty finding jobs back in SG because of the difficulty involved in recruiting across the ocean? Like networking, coffee chats (the informal recruitment process), etc

protip for guys in NS: if you never get scholarship with your offers (rejected/forgot to apply), go and disturb the department on whether you can apply in future years. don't kena stuck like me.
Old 14-05-2022, 03:19 PM
Unregistered

It does not matter. If you're good you're good. These unis are okay. The overseas experience you'll gain is valuable imo. If expenses allow just go. Its not like youre going to a CC lmao
Old 14-05-2022, 04:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It does not matter. If you're good you're good. These unis are okay. The overseas experience you'll gain is valuable imo. If expenses allow just go. Its not like youre going to a CC lmao
cc transfer into berkeley/ucla is very viable for ppl not looking into high finance tbh (and probably like half the cost of a normal course)

Do oversea students take part in the same local recruiting oppourtunities?